Upgrading from Logos 2.1 to Logos 4.0

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Michael Edgecombe | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:15 PM

I cannot find any information about upgrading from Logos 2.1 to Logos 4.0. I realise that 2.1 probably dropped off the radar a few years ago, but is anybody able to point me to information about my options?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:29 PM

Michael Edgecombe:

I cannot find any information about upgrading from Logos 2.1 to Logos 4.0. I realise that 2.1 probably dropped off the radar a few years ago, but is anybody able to point me to information about my options?

If you own a Logos2 base package, or even if you don't, I'd suggest giving Logos sales a call or dropping them an email. The phone call would be much better, if you're in-country, because their email response time is a bit down, given their level of business.

They are on the west coast U.S., on PST, if that helps you time your phone call.

You could try the upgrade calculator on the Logos web site, but I'm not sure it will take your Logos 2 base package into account or not. That page is found here:

http://www.logos.com/upgrade

EDIT: the upgrade path assumes you have a Logos ID and that you sign into the Logos web page with the same ID.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 5:42 PM

Give Jared a call. jared at logos dot com. Same address for messenger. He is very helpful in getting people setup, plus he gives good deals as well.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 15
Skip Gaede | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:38 PM

I am an owner of Logos 2.1 (Level 3) and just called sales. I got the following answer: I'm entitled to the same 25% discount as a new customer who buys a base package. I plan on calling tomorrow and speaking with Jared, although the person I spoke with said he could give me the same deals as Jared.

I also purchased the minimal crossgrade, and he said they would refund the money if I bought a base package.

...Sigh

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:07 PM

skipgaede:
I'm entitled to the same 25% discount as a new customer who buys a base package.

It may seem like being at 2.1 you are just two steps behind the current release (2-3-4), but you are not. In between there was Series X, then Libronix (Logos 3), and now Logos 4.

There was a significant cost to upgrade from 2.1 to Series X, another cost to upgrade to 3.0, and there is more expense to upgrade to 4.0. You never paid those so it isn't unreasonable to expect that there isn't much room for Logos to discount you much right now.

Granted it is like you've never been a Logos customer but you are significantly behind the upgrade cycle.Most software companies do not discount upgrades beyond a point.

I, like many others, had to 'bite the bullet' and pay for upgraded resources a number of times. I am not sorry I had to do this. I don't think you'll regret getting back into a cycle of current Logos software and resources and enjoying the package of tools you'll now have.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1
John W. Fleming | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:22 AM

I have Logos 2 - Awhile back I was able to upgrade to 3 using the UPDATE button in my software.  I recently had to reinstall from the original CDs, and now I get an error using the UPDATE button - but not until the download is 79% done.  It stalls out with an error when trying to download a MacArthur file.

I can understand a fee for upgrading, but I don't understand why the UPDATE button appears to be working and then stops at one file.  Also, I used to be able to UPDATE to v3, but now I cannot.\

I just tried to call, but experienced terminal hold and I finally caved after hearing the message to check the forums many times.  And here I am - Are my choices now to pay for an upgrade or just keep the version 2 materials?  If so, I can live with that.  Thanks

Posts 19274
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:32 AM

John W. Fleming:

I have Logos 2 - Awhile back I was able to upgrade to 3 using the UPDATE button in my software.  I recently had to reinstall from the original CDs, and now I get an error using the UPDATE button - but not until the download is 79% done.  It stalls out with an error when trying to download a MacArthur file.

I can understand a fee for upgrading, but I don't understand why the UPDATE button appears to be working and then stops at one file.  Also, I used to be able to UPDATE to v3, but now I cannot.\

I just tried to call, but experienced terminal hold and I finally caved after hearing the message to check the forums many times.  And here I am - Are my choices now to pay for an upgrade or just keep the version 2 materials?  If so, I can live with that.  Thanks

I would suggest a clean install of Logos 3 first, not from within Logos 2, but just via the install program (you can download it for free from here: http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/ldls).

That should ensure that all your Logos 2 resources that need to be are converted over the L3 format, and whatever else might need to happen.

Then you can upgrade to Logos 4. There is a free path to that upgrade as well, though you won't have access to much of what Makes Logos 4 such an improvement over prior versions, so it's recommended that you take at least the minimal crossgrade path. Here are your four options for upgrading to Logos 4 from L3: http://www.logos.com/4ways (note that this page assumes you have Logos 3, aka Libronix; so you really do need to upgrade to that first from Logos 2).

Let us know if you have any trouble with the upgrade to L3. I'm not sure I'd be able to help much with it since it's been so long since I did that myself. But hopefully someone here could help, or we could get you in touch with someone at Logos who could help, without you having to wait interminably on hold.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:37 AM

John ... if you're in Logos3 (Libronix) and downloading resources, it periodically stalls and usually on the same exact resource. The temporary solution is to not 'check' the problem resource and download all the rest. Then deal with the problem-child (usually with a call to Logos). This is a fairly common problem for whatever reason.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:55 AM

If your licences are up to date on Logos server, (you synchronized since your last purchase), then just install Logos 4, sign with the same user name and password you used to access your account. Provided, the email address on your Logos software is the same as the one you are using now.

Posts 2
Mark Tabladillo Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:47 AM

Hi Everyone

My successful story of upgrading from Logos 2.1

In June 2001, I purchased a copy of "Calvin's Commentaries (22 vols)" (equivalent to the 46 volume Baker edition) and "The Essential IVP Reference Collection Version 3" for a total of US$223.41

I still have the original boxes and CD-ROMs for both -- but when I upgraded from Windows XP to Vista and then Windows 7 -- I no longer had the software on my computer.

In December 2011, I paid the upgrade price to Logos 4 Leader's Edition, which is an excellent and powerful version.  Smile   I installed the software but did not find a way to retrieve my old content from 2001 -- I had uninstalled the old content so long ago, that the licenses were NOT synchronized with the Logos server, even though the order from 2001 appears on my account page. Sad

My solution:

Logos 2.1 is a 16-bit software program and will NOT install on Windows 7 or higher.  I used Windows XP Mode (a program in most versions of Windows 7 -- it's actually a virtual machine) to reinstall Logos 2.1 from the source disks.  I realize that other advice on this thread says start with Libronix 3, but that path did NOT work for these two content products.  What did work is installing both products from the original CDs into Windows XP Mode.  You know you are successful when you can read content.  [If you do not have Windows XP Mode, find a Windows version which allows installation of 16-bit software and also has a connection to the internet.]

Then, once installed, use the "UPDATE" function to install Libronix 3 within Windows XP Mode -- http://www.logos.com/support/windows/L3/download

Once updated, you should again be able to see the content in Libronix 3.  I had to enter my customer ID and confirmation code -- which I had kept from an earlier Libronix installation (when I was only running Windows XP).   Inside Libronix 3, once I could read the content, then I chose Tools... Library Management... Synchronize Licenses.  That action now synchronized my license with the Logos server (requires an internet connection).  I do not know when that server came into existence, but it had to be years ago.

Once the license was synchronized, my already-installed Logos 4 (installed in Windows 7, not in Windows XP Mode) picked up on the license changes, and downloaded the content from the central server.  Big Smile

I'm happy because to buy both those packages today is more expensive than what I paid over 10 years ago (now over US$580).  I admit that during this trial-and-error process I was seriously thinking about buying the content again. Now I do not have to.  An additional benefit are all the interface and search changes available in Logos 4.

One final note:  sometimes people do not want to learn a new software package.  You can still run either Logos 2.1 or Libronix 3 in Windows XP Mode, which acts like a virtual computer.  In my case, I have 8 GB of RAM running Windows 7 64-bit, and therefore plenty to run a virtual machine. 

If you are not sure about your computer specifications, or have any other questions --  I recommend contacting Logos customer support.  You can point them to this message, which has the details on a solution which works for at least one person.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 3:30 AM

Glad that you are a happy customer Mark, and welcome to the Forums.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:25 AM

Mark Tabladillo:
I still have the original boxes and CD-ROMs for both

Then you could probably simply have called Logos and given them the serial numbers, and they would have unlocked them for you in L4. No need for all the rest. Installing Libronix Books

(I realize this is no help for you now, but just in case others with the same problem find this thread.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS