How to best use BDAG with Louw - Nida?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Baruch Oltman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 11 2014 4:51 AM

I am starting to learn the Greek language, and I am trying to choose the process in which I will study. I hear the two big Lexicons are BDAG and Louw - Nida, but both are used for different methods of the greek study. How do I properly use both together as I learn the language?

Posts 89
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 5:14 AM

I suggest that you start with BDAG. It operates more like a dictionary, which is probably what you need at first. L-N is used more for translations because it provides a range of options if you are trying to find a Greek word too match what you were trying to translate from English.

Stephen

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:37 AM

BDAG is great for finding the meaning of a particular word. L-N will be helpful when you try to figure out how that word fits into the larger message of the text. when you know what OTHER words the author could have chosen and then contemplate why he chose this particular word, it can bring clarity as to what he is trying to communicate. BDAG is a first year resource, L-N is a 2nd year tool.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 12:31 PM

David Thomas:

BDAG is a first year resource, L-N is a 2nd year tool.

Yes 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS