Open letter to Logos & Verbum users - response appreciated aka informal poll

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 6:13 AM

I rely heavily on customized passage and exegetical guides and I also rely on the BWS guide at times. I never use the sermon or topic guide as they are worthless for me. I have a reading layout for all my planned reading I use and in that layout I just have the highlighting tool, the plans, the books for the plans, and a dictionary. I also have a language layout so when I am studying the original languages I have the tools available I need. Mark covered it earlier when he said you can make a layout on the fly to suit your needs of the moment. My customized guides change for whatever I am doing. If I am prepping a sermon then I have bible tools available. If I am studying theology or church history I have collections I can search in the guide for whatever I am studying. It's a system I have tweaked since using Logos 4. And I am still tweaking it. I hope this helps.

Posts 1893
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 6:22 AM

When I first started using L4, I relied heavily on the passage and exegetical guides, with some customizations to remove unused sections. I would save layouts, but practically I just worked in one layout and entered references in those guides.

Now I use layouts much more heavily. I have a layout for the series/book I'm preaching at any given moment. I have layouts for the courses I'm taking and papers that I'm researching / writing.

I would like to revisit creating a highly customized combo passage/exegetical guide and seeing if that serves my needs better for some scenarios. But for the weekly "prep for Sunday" routine, my layout has everything I need already open and supports the process I go through.

Interesting thread. Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 6:23 AM

MJ. Smith:
In using Logos do you rely primarily on layouts that include Guides ... or a layout that includes only tools and resources?

Only tools and resources. (I might use a passage guide a couple of times a year.)

MJ. Smith:
If you don't use Guides, why not?

I prefer to select the resources I wish to use. If I'm not sure which resource contains what I'm looking for, I'll search a collection.

Posts 20
Tom Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 10:33 AM

I use Passage and Topic guides primarily. 

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 10:47 AM

I don't use the guides very often now. I don't know what I want to look up until I get to it. I was waiting for guides to load and not actually reading most of the information loaded.

As an alternative, my layout has the Information and Power Lookup windows open all the time (to about a third of my screen width, not the narrow default size for them). As I read original languages, the Information window gives me the words I don't know. If I need more lexicons, want to look something up in dictionaries or want to compare translations, right-click and Power Lookup seems to be the quickest way to get the Information, prioritised the way I want it.

Posts 1001
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 2:17 AM

For me the layouts feature is more like a way of saving where I got to on project A while I do some work on project B etc. I don't tend to begin study with a layout or guide but just with searches. When I do use a guide it is normally on my iPad do do a bit of commentary reading.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS