A package of theological views on creation

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 11:39 PM

Since creation is such a hot topic at the moment, I would like to see a package of theologicans speaking on the issues - issues of interpretation of scripture not issues of educational cirriculum. My suggestions:

• Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives by Peter Bouteneff
  • Creation and Fall Temptation: Two Biblical Studies by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • The Biblical Creation Narrative: A Study in Interpretation by Martin Sicker
  • In the Beginning...: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall by Pope Benedict XVI
  • God in Creation (The Gifford Lectures, 1984-1985) by Jurgen Moltmann
  • Creation by Hans Schwartz
  • The Phenomenon of Man by Pierre Teilhard De Chardin
  • The Genesis accounts of creation by Claus Westermann

I'm sure that others can add interesting titles to the list.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 2:39 AM

I would like to add to this list:

• Creation or Evolution: Do we have to choose? by Denis Alexander

"Surely the best informed, clearest and most judicious treatment of the question in its title that you can find anywhere today" - Professor J.I.Packer, Regent College, Canada

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:51 AM

Excellent list!  Here is one I would add:

Chance or Purpose? Creation, Evolution and a Rational Faith - Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn

http://www.amazon.com/Chance-Purpose-Creation-Evolution-Rational/dp/1586172123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262717270&sr=8-1

"Cardinal Schoenborn writes with masterful simplicity on profound theological issues. I, as a scientist and Christian outside the Catholic tradition, welcome his wisdom. He argues effectively that there are multiple approaches to reality, and he states clearly that while intelligent design is worthy of human reflection, from a scientific perspective the evolutionary model is the true story." -- Owen Gingerich, Professor Emeritus of Astronomy and History of Science, Harvard University. Author of "God's Universe"

"Intellectual curiosity is here joined with precision of reason and vibrancy of faith. The result is a wondrously instructive guide to one of the most controverted questions of our time by one of the most influential leaders of the Church." -- Richard John Neuhaus, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn's 2005 essay in the New York Times, which seemingly condemned Darwin's scientific theory of evolution, ignited a firestorm of controversy. Yet the hasty responses did not look deeply enough into the Cardinal's words. Rather than the science of Darwin, it is the philosophical claims made in its name that the prelate upbraided. Science cannot speak of ultimate purpose, and scientists who do so are outside of their authority. In Chance or Purpose? the Cardinal shows that the data of biology, when properly examined by reason and philosophy, strongly point to a purposeful world." -- Michael Behe, Author, Darwin's Black Box

Posts 18490
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:45 AM
  • Genesis Unbound - John Sailhamer
  • Genesis in Space and Time - Francis Schaeffer
  • In the Beginning: Foundations of Creation Theology - Herman Bavinck
  • The Work of Love: Creation as Kenosis - John Polkinghorne
  • Creation out of Nothing: A Biblical, Philosophical, and Scientific Exploration  - Paul Copan & William Lane Craig
  • Evolutionary Creation: A Christian Approach to Evolution  - Denis Lamoureux
  • In the Beginning: The Opening Chapters of Genesis - Henri Blocher
  • Gift of Being: A Theology of Creation - Zachary Hayes
  • In the Beginning, God: Creation, Culture, and the Spiritual Life - Marva Dawn
Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:13 PM

Dominick Sela:
Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn

Yes, I like Schoenborn very much. I was unaware of this work.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:16 PM

Place your pre-pub orders for the 6-volume set from Canon Press (http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/4576), as this volume (which I have in print) is excellent:
Creation in Six Days: A Defense of the Traditional Reading of Genesis One
Author: James B. Jordan
265 pages
Canon Press | 1999
   Creation in Six Days offers an exegetical, literary, and theological defense of the traditional interpretation of the Genesis account of six-day creation. Jordan’s account is primarily designed to answer any approach to the text of Genesis, such as the increasingly popular Framework Hypothesis, that pits the text’s literary features against its historical and narrative sense.
   Beyond his exegetical critique of several prominent positions, Jordan offers a constructive reading of the early parts of Genesis and also seeks to uncover the assumptions which attract people to the Framework Interpretation and similar views. The explanation, he says, lies in the acceptance of many of the questionable assumptions of modern science on the part of most Christians today, coupled with the pervasiveness of a Gnostic or non-historical attitude toward the Christian faith.
   James B. Jordan (Th.M., D.Litt.) is author of several books including Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World, Judges: A Practical and Theological Commentary, and Crisis, Opportunity, and the Christian Future. He is Director of Biblical Horizons Ministries in Niceville, Florida.
   Jordan defends the traditional reading of the creation account with a command of biblical theology rarely encountered.
—Rev. James Bordwine, Ph.D.
   This new book by James Jordan addresses with precision, charity, and biblical fidelity the strange and confusing situation amongst evangelical and Reformed scholars on the doctrine of creation. . . . Jordan’s critique of some of the popular endeavors to make Genesis teach something other than six-day creation is careful and fair, bringing order out of confusion. I shall be recommending it in classes and conferences.
—Dr. Douglas Kelly, Reformed Theological Seminary
   James Jordan’s book is a significant defense of the traditional interpretation of Genesis 1. . . . One need not agree with every statement to find many exegetical and theological insights that will add significantly to the growing arsenal of solid studies in Genesis 1.
—Dr. John Whitcomb

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:29 PM

You can get Francis Schaeffer's book as part of Logos' "The Complete Works of Francis Schaeffer":
http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/cwfs

Posts 494
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:32 PM

John H. Walton has written several books that I think are essential reading for this subject:

• The Lost World of Genesis One
  • NIV Application Commentary: Genesis
  • Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Hebrew Bible
  • Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Genesis - Deuteronomy (currently in pre-pub)

These next two books operate from a standpoint that accepts most of modern science as accurate and explore what this means for creation theology. Like Walton, they look at Genesis using its own historical and cultural worldview.

• Evolutionary Creation - Denis O. Lamoureux
  • Beyond the Firmament - Gordon J. Glover
Posts 18490
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:09 AM

Tim Lord:

You can get Francis Schaeffer's book as part of Logos' "The Complete Works of Francis Schaeffer":
http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/cwfs

Yes, I know, but I was just suggesting it be included with a Creation bundle too, if such were ever created. Several books appear in more than one collection. If you already have one collection when you buy the other, Logos Customer Service will give you a reduced price on the second collection.

Posts 1
Paul Bruggink | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:27 AM

Several that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

• Perspectives on a Evolving Creation, edited by Keith B. Miller
  • Theology after Darwin, edited by Michael S. Northcott and R. J. Berry
  • Darwin, Creation and the Fall: Theological Challenges, edited by R. J. Berry and T. A. Noble
  • Paradigms on Pilgrimage: Creationism, Paleontology and Biblical Interpretation, by Stephen J. Godfrey & Christopher R. Smith
  • Genesis 1-4: A Linguisitic, Literary, and Theological Commentary, by C. John Collins
  • In the Beginning: The Opening Chapters of Genesis, by Henri Blocher
  • Portraits of Creation: Biblical and Scientific Perspectives on the World's Formation, by Howard J. Van Till, Robert E. Snow, John H. Stek and Davis A. Young.
  • The Cosmos in the Light of the Cross, by George L. Murphy
  • Evolution from Creation to New Creation: Conflict, Conversation, and Convergence, by Ted Peters and Martinez Hewlett
Posts 2680
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 12:38 PM

Here are Creation books i would add for inclusion in Logos. Henry Morris's books are a given and a must.

Ted

• Creation, Fall, Restoration by Andrew s. Kulikovsky
  • Did God Create in 6 Days? by Joseph A. Pipa
  • Creation And Change: genesis 1:1-2.4 in the Light of Changing Scientific Paradigms by Kelly Doulas
  • Yea, Hath God Said?: The Framework Hypothesis/Six-Day Creation Debate by Kenneth L. Gentry Jr. and Michael R. Butler 
  • Refuting Compromise: A Biblical and Scientific Refutation of "Progressive Creationism" (Billions of Years) As Popularized by Astronomer Hugh Ross by Jonathan Sarfati
  • By Design by Dr. Jonathan Safarti
  • Refuting Evolution: A Handbook for Students, Parents, and Teachers Countering the Latest Arguments for Evolution by Jonathan Sarfati and Ken Ham

• Refuting Evolution 2 by Jonathan Sarfati
  • The New Answers Book Ken Ham
  • The New Answers Book, Volume II (Answer Book) by Ken Ham and General Editor
  • Studies in Genesis One by Edward J. Young
  • Sufficiency of Scripture by Noel Weeks
  • The Six Days of Genesis: A Scientific Appreciation of Chapters 1-11 by Paul Taylor
  • Old Earth Creationism on Trial: The Verdict Is In by Tim Chaffey
  • Coming to Grips with Genesis: Biblical Authority and the Age of the Earth
  • Terry Mortenson and Thane H. Ury (Editor)
  • The Genesis Debate : Three Views on the Days of Creation J. Ligon Duncan III (Author), David W. Hall (Author), Hugh Ross (Author), Gleason L. Archer (Author), Lee Irons (Author), Meredith G. Kline (Author), David G. Hagopian (Editor)
  • Genesis 1-4: A Linguistic, Literary, And Theological Commentary
  • C. John Collins
  • Science and Faith: Friends or Foes?by C. John Collins

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 18490
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:01 PM

Well, might as well add this one to the mix:

• The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design, Ronald L. Numbers (it's an excellent history of modern creationsim; it's been updated to include Intelligent Design; I read it back in 1995 before that came out)
Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:04 PM

I do not want to rain on your parade but the probability of such a package happening is close to zero for obvious business reasons:

The works come from different publishers and it would be a nightmare for Logos to get them to agree to license their work for a topical package and agree on royalties (unless I am mistaken this has only be done for base packages that are expected to have a wide customer base).

The works represent divergent theological views (which is a big red flag for a small collection business wise). This is a good for those in academia or the few outside with an inquiring mind but it is not a good idea if one wants to reach a wider audience (which is the main reason publishers agree to combine their resources in base packages); and publishers are still in the business of making money the last time I checked (furthering academic research is merely a byproduct of the process).

Am I cynical? Not quite.. I am a realist

Obtaining some of these resources individually is the best bet

Alain

Posts 2680
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:12 PM

Alain Maashe:

Hi Alain,

Where have you been, busy with your dissertation i suppose? Great to hear from you, and i would still have love to seen a suggestion of books on this subject from you. If not for inclusion in Logos at least for my paper libraryWink

Every blessings,

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 18490
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:26 PM

Alain Maashe:

The works represent divergent theological views (which is a big red flag for a small collection business wise).

Yes, I was beginning to notice that, as the suggestions flooded in. Nobody who would buy  Denis Lamoureux would want Henry Morris's books polluting their hard disk, and vice versa. Wink

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:34 PM

Ted Hans:

Alain Maashe:

Hi Alain,

Where have you been, busy with your dissertation i suppose? Great to hear from you, and i would still have love to seen a suggestion of books on this subject from you. If not for inclusion in Logos at least for my paper libraryWink

Every blessings,

Ted.

Ted,

My preliminary work towards my dissertation has been put on hold while I prepare for my comprehensive exams, the dissertation phase will be more relax (not by much Big Smile)

I doubt that I could improve on the suggestions given above.

I have to say that I prefer books that deal with the issue exegetically versus a scientific/apologetical   approach because of my conviction that  the biblical text properly interpreted is the final authority regardless of  what the current scientific consensus says about the issue.

I like works that underline the epistemological and philosophical presuppositions of one's conclusion regarding creation. I believe that  more than anything else, these two factors dictate the various conclusions and how the text is read (which unfortunately is poor exegesis)

Scot McKnight on his blog Jesus' Creed has an interesting entry about evolution and evangelicals (from the perspective of theistic evolution)

Evolution and Evangelicals ... What are the Barriers?

What is find interesting (and sad) is that in order to align their interpretation on Genesis 1 and 2 with the current scientific consensus, many of those who left comments have opened Pandora's box and have a hard time reconciling  their take on creation with what the rest of the Bible has to say about the theological importance of creation and key characters like Adam and Eve.

see Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 also Waltke's white paper and survey of Seminary Professors

Funny how a literal view of the days of creation harmonizes better with the rest of the Bible

My intent is not start a debate, I just giving Ted my thoughts on the issues.

Alain

Posts 2680
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 3:03 PM

Alain Maashe:
My intent is not start a debate, I just giving Ted my thoughts on the issues.

Thanks Alain for the response and God bless. I will look at those links you have provided.

Please not another creation debate, i just wanted Alains take on things.

Ted

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 3:14 PM

Alain Maashe:
The works represent divergent theological views (which is a big red flag for a small collection business wise).

The musician, John Mooney, sings that "there are three sides to every question - yours, mine and the __ truth" (paraphrase of the text, perhaps, since I'm not checking the cd.Big Smile

You are probably realistic and right. But I wish more people truly wanted to explore the issues.

Posts 2
Shaun Marshall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 9:37 PM

Alain seems to have divergent views that exclude any other divergent view...thought it  not the focus of logos to repudiate one view against another but rather to allow axcess to divergence in order for scolars to have greater appreciation of what others say and make their own conclusions. Men like Morris have caused many so called scientests to examine their "proof evidence" and has resulted in more accountability in their science...Logos would do well to incorporate "Scientific Creationism" onto their book list... 

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 7 2014 4:46 PM

bump this

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS