New Verbum package – what next?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 137
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 17 2014 7:36 AM

Recently I bought Verbum.  For a long time I did not purchase it as I feared it would be divisive, narrow, require new techniques and make Logos 5 obsolete.  My fears were baseless.

Now what can I do with it?  In the past I used ‘layouts’ with relatively few resources.  Now would it be preferable to use ‘Home’ for studies, as doing this I use resources I would not otherwise have considered?

How can I use Verbim most efficiently and effectively? 

Is it more that a new ‘Home’ page and extra resources?

Thanks for replies in the past, and I look forward to getting fresh ideas.

Posts 27576
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 17 2014 11:13 AM

When your workspace is empty (just opened Verbum or did a close all), click on the day heading of the lectionary. This will open a layout that you may find a useful starting place.

Under Tools, open Reading Lists - there are two that may be of interest:

• Verbum Practicum w/ Verbum Blog Training - the lower section will link you to blogs on how to use Verbum. Try some items of interest such as how to use the catechism
  • Verbum links which gives quick access to church sites

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 137
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 17 2014 11:58 AM

MJ,

many thanks for your immediate, very constructive reply.

I will do as you suggest.

Here in Ireland most people involved in the Church are female, but you seem to be one of few women here.  Is this your perception   too?

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 17 2014 3:59 PM

Logos being an american company, whose market is clearly international also tends to be largely american.

While many women are in churches generally speaking, many women are not allowed in pastoral leadership in many traditions (making an observation not a judgement call). if I had to guess (and that's all this post is), most Logos users are professors of scripture & theology or pastors. There are a few lay leaders I can think of, and parachurch disciplers... But in large part I think for the largest market, most of their target audience is 20-70 year old men. Bible College students, seminarians, pastors, and people in those roles.

Plus the forums are not necessarily representative any way, we tend to be technically savy logos users. My sisters are technically savvy - but they are not prone to visiting forums of any type - much less posting on one. So its possible that of Logos million users (or whatever the real number) there are many more of them that are Logos users than are willing to post to the forums.

But there are a few - MJ, Denise, et al.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 5:26 AM

MJ. Smith:

Under Tools, open Reading Lists - there are two that may be of interest:

• Verbum Practicum w/ Verbum Blog Training - the lower section will link you to blogs on how to use Verbum. Try some items of interest such as how to use the catechism

Hi M.J.!

I'm curious, does Verbum come with Practicum/blog training?  

Thanks!  Smile ~Butters

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 27576
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 10:24 AM

The Practicum is a separate purchase but has been offered as a freebie for new users occasionally. The blog is simply entries from the Verbum blog.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2445
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 7:49 PM

Check out http://scripturestudysoftware.com/  

Interesting Blog.  As you have time review all of the Old Items.  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS