Number of times words used in chapters and books

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 19 2014 12:14 AM

Dear all,

I am wanting to find out the number of times every word in a given chapter or book appears. So as an example, what is the most frequent word used in Ephesians, how many times is it used, what is the second most frequent word used, the third etc...

If there a way I can uncover this fairly simply?

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 23,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 10660
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 12:22 AM

Mark Rodgers:

I am wanting to find out the number of times every word in a given chapter or book appears. So as an example, what is the most frequent word used in Ephesians, how many times is it used, what is the second most frequent word used, the third etc...

If there a way I can uncover this fairly simply?

You'd build a word list (from the documents menu).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21
Marc van Eijden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 12:32 AM

Depending on your computer, building a wordlist may take quite some time...

Posts 10660
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 3:02 AM

Looking at Mark's signature line, this may not be a great issue for him. I personally tend to not have Logos build a wordlist on a long book.

If you're interested, Jeff Kranz has a nice tutorial and offers a free spreadsheet at http://overviewbible.com/bible-word-counts-logos-word-lists/ 

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 4:31 AM

Thank you so much. I feel rather silly. I have used nearly every feature on Logos over the years and for some reason never looked at 'Word List' :):)

Tis a very useful function and will definitely enhance my bible study!

Thank you.

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 23,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 10660
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 4:53 AM

Mark Rodgers:

Tis a very useful function and will definitely enhance my bible study!

Thank you.

You're very welcome!

Posts 808
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 9:37 AM

Thank you all for reminding me of this cool tool.

Question:  Once I've loaded a Word List with data, is there a way to clear its contents and load another passage? (I can't find a "clear contents" function.) 

Sometimes I want to do a quick check of several passages, but it seems I have to load 3 different Word Lists to examin 3 different passages, then delete the three Word Lists when I'm done.

I'd like to open one Word List, load the first passage, clear it, load the next passage, clear it, then load the third.  Ideally, if I clear the data from a Word List and then close it, it would be nice if the system did NOT save the empty word list so I don't have to delete the empty Word List.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 9:52 AM

You can also do this with a Morph search which offers more flexibility and better analysis. You can look at particular passage, group by lemma, and subgroup by the english text to see how a lemma is translated differently and see the counts on both groupings.

Posts 808
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 10:05 AM

Hi Randy,

Randy W. Sims:
You can also do this with a Morph search

I use the Morph search a lot to research a word or phrase in different passages.  How do I use it to research all the words in one passage - what do I put in the Find box (where I usually put the word or phrase)?

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 10:48 AM

Tim Hensler:

Hi Randy,

Randy W. Sims:
You can also do this with a Morph search

I use the Morph search a lot to research a word or phrase in different passages.  How do I use it to research all the words in one passage - what do I put in the Find box (where I usually put the word or phrase)?

Tim, I usually just look at Nouns and Verbs (search: @N OR @V), sometimes tagging on adjectives (@J). I hadn't tried searching all words in morph, but it does look like it's possible, but extremely slow (Can this be optimized?). Using the book of Romans, ESV, (I really shoulda used something smaller...), I first tried the ? wildcard: @?. I'm not sure what that returns(???), but it only returns 454 results. Then I tried @*, which does seem to work and return every word, s  l  o  w  l  y. I also tried just * which behaves exactly the same as @*. Without optimization, unless you're looking at small passages, I'd recommend just looking for the parts of speech you're specifically interested in, stringing them together with the OR operator.

Would like to know what @? is doing? And if perhaps an optimization could be added for searching every word of a passage?

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 10:57 AM

Randy W. Sims:
And if perhaps an optimization could be added for searching every word of a passage?

@V, @C, @D, @I, @J, @N, @P, @R, @T, @V, @X works for Logos Greek Morphology. I don't think it's quicker than a Word List though of course it does provide more data.

Posts 808
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 2:53 PM

Hi Randy and Mark.  Thank you for your help.

It looks like Word Lists are still my best option for quick checks of word usage/counts in a passage.  I have created a post in "Suggestions" regarding the idea I shared above.  (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/88094/617839.aspx#617839)  Maybe Logos can add the functionlaity I'm looking for.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 2:58 PM

Tim, Sorry, I overlooked your other question earlier. One quick way to clear a list is to select one item, then use Ctrl+A to select all words, then press Delete key to remove them.

Posts 808
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 19 2014 3:06 PM

Hi Randy,

Randy W. Sims:
One quick way to clear a list is to select one item, then use Ctrl+A to select all words, then press Delete key to remove them.

YES! that did it. (This is one of those, "Why didn't I think of that" moments.)  Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS