Neither UI nor help file documents how to go to a bookmark from the keyboard once it's set

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:32 AM

The Help file and the Bookmark area in the Favorites tab both document how you can set a bookmark using Ctrl+Shift+1...9, but once you've set the bookmark, the keyboard help hint disappears from the Favorites tab, so new users who haven't come over from 3.0 (where it is well documented) will not know that you can simply type Ctrl+1...9 to jump to the bookmark once you've set it. The way the UI and help files look, you'd have to keep your Favorites tab open and click on the bookmark to go to it. What a pain that would be! Fortunately, it's not so. But please fix the UI and the Help to educate people better about this.

UPDATE: I've added it to the list of keyboard shortcuts on the wiki (but that list was originally taken directly from Help; and I have no way to add it into the Help file)

Posts 236
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:21 AM

Hi Rosie, Another keyboard shortcut that I don't see is the use of the "tab" key to jump to the "look up box" (this is probably not the offical name for it Smile).

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 2:04 PM

BruceJunkermann:

Hi Rosie, Another keyboard shortcut that I don't see is the use of the "tab" key to jump to the "look up box" (this is probably not the offical name for it Smile).

Bruce, the <Tab> key works as it does in all other Windows applications, which is to move the focus from place to place within the user interface. The "focus" means where the active control is; if it's an edit box, then having the "focus" means the cursor is there and you can type into it; for other types of controls (buttons, dropdown menus, checkboxes), pressing <Spacebar> will do something to it -- press a button, drop down a menu, check a checkbox, etc.  So <Tab> doesn't always jump to the "look up box" (I think you're referring to the reference box -- where you can type in a Scripture reference to go to that point in your Bible). It will depend on where the focus was before you pressed <Tab>. Thus, documenting it as a shortcut for jumping to that box would not be accurate. If you keep pressing <Tab> several times, you'll see that it cycles around through all the elements at the top of the Bible window, first the "reference box" (I think that's what it's called), then the Visual Filters menu (which you can drop down by pressing <Space> and then use the up/down arrows to navigate through the items in the menu, and <Space> to turn on and off checkboxes), etc.  Usually Windows application developers assume users either know Windows already or can find out documentation about how it behaves elsewhere, so they don't document the standard Windows behavior. Logos is so far from the Windows standard, though, that it It wouldn't hurt to document the standard Windows behavior of <Tab>.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS