Having both Logos 3 & Logos 4 on laptop at the same time.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Steven Dinkins | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:54 AM

Does it hurt or slow down Logos 4 by keeping both Logos 3 & 4 installed on my laptop??

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:58 AM

Having both installed won't slow anything down, as long as your hard disk is not getting too full.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:12 AM

They will run just fine alongside each other.

In order to help with HD space, point L3 to the Resources directory of L4 and delete any duplicate files under L3. To determine duplicates, there is an excellent tool called BeyondCompare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/)

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:15 AM

"point L3 to the Resources directory of L4"

and how do you do that?  Sounds like a great idea....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:23 AM

No, they are two (in most cases) separate programs.

It will use up hard drive space, though, as (some) L3 resources are duplicated.

At present L4 appears to be using both L3 and its own new L4 resources. L3 resources are constantly being updated to the L4 format.

(Hopethis has not confused the issue).

Regards

Steve f

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 11:50 AM

Charles C Pace:

"point L3 to the Resources directory of L4"

and how do you do that?  Sounds like a great idea....

Right now L4 is using a lot of L3 resources (.lbxlls) which creates duplicates and wastes space. Originally I thought it would be a good trick to "delete" duplicate resources under Libronix and just point Libronix to Logos4 Resources directory.  However, if L4 will be systematically (and "silently") replace .lbxlls resources with .logos4 resources, then IT IS NOT A GOOD STRATEGY.

However, it still may be good to use BeyondCompare to sync updated L3 resources (.lbxlls) from L4 into L3.

clear as mud?

Posts 27452
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:11 AM

VladimirLukyanov:
Right now L4 is using a lot of L3 resources (.lbxlls) which creates duplicates and wastes space. Originally I thought it would be a good trick to "delete" duplicate resources under Libronix and just point Libronix to Logos4 Resources directory.  However, if L4 will be systematically (and "silently") replace .lbxlls resources with .logos4 resources, then IT IS NOT A GOOD STRATEGY.

I agree! Having L3 use the L4 Resource folder can result in file access conflicts eg. L4 wanting to update *.lbxlls when L3 is using it.

Keep them entirely separate and:-

• don't add any more resources to L3, or
  • get hard drive space by totally removing L3, or
  • keep a skeleton with NO resources except what you have to load from a CD in order to get them into L4!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS