Jesus in the O.T... Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 341
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 25 2014 2:20 PM

I'm reading the book "Jesus on Every Page" by David Murray.  It focuses on finding Christ throughout the pages and narratives on the Old Testament.  It had me wondering, if any of you have come across a commentary providing a solid Jesus perspective on the pages of the O.T.

Thanks, Steve 

Posts 463
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 25 2014 3:35 PM

Steve,

You might want to check out:

• The Gospel According to the Old Testament (Logos)
  • The Gospel Transformation Study Bible (Not Logos)
  • The Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series (Not Logos)
  • The many typology-related resources found in Logos (Logos) Though be careful not to rely on typology in every OT passage (a common temptation).

I created a collection that groups all my "Christ-Centered References." Your mileage will vary based on your library.

subject:messiah OR title:christophanies OR title:types OR subject:typology OR title:typology OR title:"Christology of the Old Testament" OR title:"life principles for worship" OR title:"shadows of the messiah" OR title:"temple treasures" OR title:"Messiah in both testaments" OR title:"blueprint for the kingdom" OR title:"Christ in" OR title:"the outpouring" OR title:"look for Jesus" OR title:"truth and worth" ANDNOT title:"gospel of Luke"

Finally, you might want to take a quick look at my website where I talk a lot about preaching Christ from the whole Bible. I also wrote a free e-book on the topic.

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 25 2014 3:47 PM

I can think of three very helpful books that Logos sells that are not written as commentaries, but are representative of Jesus in the Old Testament texts and on a deeper level then typology alone.

Bryan Chapell "Christ Centered Sermons: models of redemptive history"

Edmund Clowney "Preaching Christ in all of Scripture"

Michael Williams "How to Read the Bible Through the Jesus Lens: a guide to Christ focused reading of Scripture

The only commentary I can think of off hand is the Concordia Commentary on the book of Leviticus in which each chapter concludes with how it is fulfilled in Christ.

It is an idea that is picking up steam but seems to be scattered about at this time. 

Posts 33246
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 25 2014 4:18 PM

No one has mentioned one of the best: Reardon, Patrick Henry. Christ in the Psalms. Chesterton, IN: Ancient Faith Publishing, 2000.in Logos.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 341
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 25 2014 4:51 PM

Wow!  Very helpful everyone!  Thanks much for all the references to look into.  Very much appreciated!

Steve

Posts 670
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 3:44 AM

David Murray says that one of his chapters in Jesus on Every Page is basically a summary of Patrick Fairbairn - whose works are on the way through Community Pricing.

Posts 1706
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 4:21 AM

Steve Farson:
... wondering, if any of you have come across a commentary providing a solid Jesus perspective on the pages of the O.T.

Steve, you've got several good answers, and here's another twist for you to consider.

If you come at this same question from the other direction, you ask, How should I read the Jesus story in the light of the OT, as the appropriate fulfillment of that narrative?

To come at it that way, you might enjoy something like N T Wright's Simply Jesus, or (for more detail) the first two volumes of the Christian Origins series: The New Testament and the People of God and Jesus and the Victory of God.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 7:33 AM

Allen Browne:

Steve, you've got several good answers, and here's another twist for you to consider.

If you come at this same question from the other direction, you ask, How should I read the Jesus story in the light of the OT, as the appropriate fulfillment of that narrative?

To come at it that way, you might enjoy something like N T Wright's Simply Jesus, or (for more detail) the first two volumes of the Christian Origins series: The New Testament and the People of God and Jesus and the Victory of God.

YesA GREAT suggestion

Posts 341
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 4:34 PM

Everyone... Thanks much again!  I spent some $$$ Stick out tongue, but also learned I had some of the resources already Cool!  Excellent advice.  Dave Moser... enjoyed and valued much your e-book.  And all... thanks for the links to help my research.  A good start to helping me be more aware (and conversant) of Christ in the Hebrew scriptures.

Steve

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 6:29 PM

Also check out the Files Forum for PBBs of Typology of Scripture by Fairbairn and Christology of the O.T. by Hengstenberg. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS