the growing library problem.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 3:11 PM

fgh:

Mark Barnes:
You shouldn't prioritize monographs, period. It will have no effect.

Not entirely true. There are plenty of monographs that exist in different editions/translations and have suitable datatypes: Church Fathers, the CCC, the Code of Canon Law, various papal documents, the Summa... There is no particular need to prioritize them until you find Logos defaulting to another edition than the one you want, but it certainly has effect when you do.

Yes, sorry, that was an over-generalisation. It's a very good general rule, though. In a recent thread, I said this:

Mark Barnes:
Technically, the type of a resource doesn't affect whether or not it can be prioritised. What matters is what indexes it has. If it only has a page number index, or no index, then there's no point prioritising it. We say "don't prioritise monographs", as almost all monographs don't have these indexes.

Posts 1862
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 4:33 PM

good idea on the other thread mark.

but, maaaan .... that alloooot of manual works...

I think I have 12k+ resources and I'm NOT planning to tag and make the type of works you did.

I think Logos need to step up their game on these and make those monographs "user friendly" for practical usage.

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 4:44 PM

mike:
I'm NOT planning to tag and make the type of works you did.

If you're talking about this, I haven't tagged them. They're just collections with simple rules, using the subject field that already exists. I just checked my library, and I have precisely 19 monographs tagged (and one of those tags is "to-read").

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 5:12 AM

mike:
I think I have 12k+ resources and I'm NOT planning to tag and make the type of works you did.

Peace.  Personally use a mixture of library tagging and dynamic rules for collections.  New library resources have myrating of 0 (while community rating can be different):

When have verified a resource is in desired collection(s), then change rating to 2 stars.  Like English resources to be in 5 or more collections since have 4 largish collections:

• English Library without Bibles
  • English Library without Commentary
  • English Library without Perseus
  • Language:English

If a resource is not in desired collection(s), then have three options: modify collection(s) to include resource, add tag(s), or manually include.

Thankful for Rosie's ratings => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4363/157779.aspx#157779

Rosie Perera:
0 stars - just purchased, haven't had time to do anything with it yet (though I usually do them right away so they don't stay in this state for very long)
1 star - I really don't think this resource is very valuable and would usually chose to ignore it, but I don't dislike it enough to hide it
2 stars - the rating I assign to everything as soon as I buy it, which means basically "I don't know yet what I think of this"
3 stars - good
4 stars - very good
5 stars - outstanding, one of my favorite resources

When have an opinion about a resource, then change rating appropriately.

Thankful for Logos Metadata, which can be used for dynamic rule collections. Wiki has => https://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections

If join Faithlife group Logos Collections, can copy any of the 316 Collections by clicking Get Copy to the right of the desired document name followed by synchronizing Logos. Alternative is Select All then Action => Get Copies 

Blog => http://blog.logos.com/2014/04/40000-books-in-18-months-a-crowdsourced-tagging-project/

Favorites is also useful; wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Favorites

mike:
I think Logos need to step up their game on these and make those monographs "user friendly" for practical usage.

Thankful can search for articles using Heading Text; Large Text; Title

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1862
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 6:30 AM

thanks for your reply,

First,  Rosie spent years rating her resources -- so uhmm...I don't think I want to do that.

Second, I understand those collections are users made, but it is still incomplete. What if I want to find the subject of comparative religion or post modernism? I couldn't find a collection under those topics. (I looked the first 9 pages of the collection thingy plus the search field).

edit:some been answered by person after me.

Posts 10403
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 7:27 AM

mike:

I understand those collections are users made, but it is still incomplete. What if I want to find the subject of comparative religion or post modernism? I couldn't find a collection under those topics. (I looked the first 9 pages of the collection thingy plus the search field).

Anyway, I think Logos is responsible to create a new system for us. 

mike, did you ever look at the subjects column in your library? You can use it to group books in your libray much like the Amazon example you posted and to a greater level of granularity. It's already there (Logos even adresses potential errors and ambiguities in these subjects by reworking the metadata if pointed to it). 

When you want to find books on a subject, just type it into the library filter box. This will capture it from all fields, including titles, subjects and resource descriptions. There's no issue around that and you don't need collections for that.

The collection rules in the wiki, the forum and Faithlife are just examples that users found helpful and shared and some others found helpful and adopted and/or refined or used as input for their own collections.

Have you been to a paper library once? You can think of a collection like these four-wheel carts filled with books. You don't need this cart to find a certain book (or shelf). But you can ask Logos to put certain books from all the shelves into that cart and then tell it to look for information only in the cart. That's what collections are for. 

So if you have a library filter phrase that is helpful for you to assemble a bunch of books you want to treat as information source (such as title:"post modern" OR subject:"post modern") you can simply use this to build your collection of post-modernism books. You can add or remove titles (or groups) for greater precision. Logos will fill these into the cart - and have them remain on your shelf. A book doesn't need to be in a collection or in one collection - it can be in zero or a hundred of them.

What some do, is using collections as representation of bookshelves. Which is great, since you can have a book in multiple shelves, if you want to. And work on the unshelved ones - if you like.

What Rosie and others who want to really know their library do doesn't take years, but it takes a couple of seconds at each newly-acquired resource over the years. And persistence.

The dynamic nature of collections allows to counter the "growing library problem" by automatically putting a new book into the existing collections, if the rules apply. An update to Luthers Works, consisting of Sermons will automatically put itself into the cart(s) / into the shelf(ves) it belongs, such as "Lutheran", "Sermon Examples", "Post-medieval devotional literature", whatever.

The point is, Logos can't know your research interest. Someone in urban youth ministry may want a large collection "old boring stuff" with rule pubdate:<2000 whereas someone doing a PhD on "the development of preaching themes in reformation-era continental Europe" may manually assign books that relate to this topic to a dozen fine-grained collections that differ by years, by regions and by slightest shades of theological traditions. This is something Logos can't do for us. The subjects, however, provide some structure in the library jungle and are already there - afaik mostly prefilled by the publishers according to some common standards. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1862
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 7:48 AM

thanks Mick,

I didn't know "subject" existed because my laptop screen is 13", and subject tab is all the way on the right. I've never journeyed that far. Stick out tongue

Now, I humbly request Logos to register more monographs into the GUIDES.

Posts 22357
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 7:54 AM

Hi Mike

mike:
subject tab is all the way on the right

If you're not aware already you can drag columns so you can position the "subject" column in a more easily visible position. You can also right-click on the column headers and change which columns are displayed

Graham

Posts 2067
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 8:11 AM

I thought about this issue a while back in relation to the bookstore and topic guides. I had asked on the forums for a recommendation for a resource on a topic, but I kept thinking it would be great (for me and for Logos) if I could tap the collective wisdom of other users to find resources on a topic from within Logos. If Logos could tap subjects, community tags on resources, community tags on clippings, notes and/or highlights (a very good suggestion engine is needed here, one that learns as more things are tagged based on the text being tagged), to generate a list of highly relevant resources based on how many people tag a resource with a certain topic and how many clippings from a resource are tagged with relevant tags, etc. Additionally, a way to browse (prev/next) through community highlights, clippings, etc, for resources we own and resources we don't own but are interested in would help to better evaluate those resources for relevance. A good suggestion engine would be key in order to get a lot of people tagging, but with that tagging Logos should be able to make great suggestions based on community wisdom. In order to eliminate the irrelevant stuff, this would probably need to be restrained so it only takes into consideration a set vocabulary of terms when analyzing tags, ignoring those odd tags we use for personal uses, dates of purchase, etc.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 6:37 PM

mike:
What if I want to find the subject of comparative religion or post modernism?

One option is filter Library that searches all fields:

Noticed a variety of subjects in Library results.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 2:59 AM

Something that I have done when I want to search a topic like comparative religion or post-modernism is that I will do a search of a particular topic in the appropriate collection and then followup with a search of the whole library. What I am looking for is books that are not part of the collection, but should be. I don't tag the books, but look to see how they were tagged by Logos. I then add the Logos tag to my collection. I usually end up several books to my collection when I follow this procedure.

The second thing that I do is search for a topic in the Title and Heading Text fields. You could for example search for Hindu with this search in your entire library and could be fairly certain that your results wills be appropriate.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS