Copying a syntz Search?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 59
Mark Futato | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:06 AM

Is there a way to copy or duplicate a syntax search, while leaving the original in tact? If I want to run two similar but different searches, I have to create both from scratch, which adds time. It would be nice if I could copy the one and then modify it with a new name.  Thanks.

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:16 AM

Select Syntax Search from File menu and then choose a search from Previous Searches, and rename the Untitled search.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 59
Mark Futato | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:55 AM

But if I do this, I loose the original search. I want to modify a given search and keep the original search.

Posts 1463
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:08 AM

Mark Futato:

But if I do this, I loose the original search. I want to modify a given search and keep the original search.

Hi Mark.

Actually, if you open a new syntax search (File, Syntax Search), look on the right side of the query window that opens. You'll see a list of templates as well as previous searches. If you click any of those, you'll open a copy of the search (or template) which you can then save with a different title.

Alternately, if you have two syntax search query windows open, you can right-click a structure in one to copy it, and right-click in the other window to paste it. Note you can't just paste anywhere on the canvas, it needs to be in an allowable area (the circled '+' symbol). Right-click on one of those (either the one in the empty window, or on the top/bottom/left/right of an existing node in the query).

Hope it helps.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 59
Mark Futato | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:20 AM

1. I was opening the search from a previous search list under File. I now see that your steps open the search but it is not named.

2. Love the copy-paste feature. Did not know that one.

Love the time savers!

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS