Strange Issue with Journals Purchase at Logos.com

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 10 2014 2:58 PM

I just purchased the Theological Journals 1-15. It is showing them grayed out at Logos.com, but it's not showing the other collections (1-10, 11, 12, etc) grayed out, even though I now have all of the resources contained in those collections.

Just thought I'd make Logos aware of this since usually Logos likes to gray out any other collections contained in a purchase to ensure customer's don't accidentally re-purchase them.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 3:00 PM

I also just purchased this:

https://www.logos.com/product/8582/john-macarthur-essential-bible-study-library

But noticed it didn't gray out the MacArthur Study Bible:

https://www.logos.com/product/1298/the-macarthur-study-bible

Is that because the MacArthur Study Bible that comes in the above package is slightly different from that one (it says NASB edition)?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 3:45 PM

You bought these through logos and not an independent seller?

Posts 124
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 4:12 PM

Nathan Parker:

I just purchased the Theological Journals 1-15. It is showing them grayed out at Logos.com, but it's not showing the other collections (1-10, 11, 12, etc) grayed out, even though I now have all of the resources contained in those collections.

Just thought I'd make Logos aware of this since usually Logos likes to gray out any other collections contained in a purchase to ensure customer's don't accidentally re-purchase them.

Thanks!

Nathan.

Not sure if this helps you, but I had the exact same problem after purchasing the TJL 1-15 in September 2013.  I believe the issue was discussed a couple of times on the forums, once here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/76059.aspx?PageIndex=1  Logos had posted a solution in the thread, but it did not work for me and I was missing far more than just a few of the Tyndale Journals (28-36, 51).  Adam Borries of Logos Technical Support finally resolved the issue and I received the missing journals:  Bibliotheca, 19 volumes of the Westminster Theological Journal, Volume 10 of Dispensational Theology, the Tyndale volumes I mentioned above, and a couple of others.

I recall the issue had to do with how links to the individual resources had been made inside the large 1-15 bundle.  For the resources I mentioned above, the links simply did not exist in the large 1-15 bundle so the resources did not download.  However, since the resources were properly linked in the smaller bundles (e.g. volumes 1-5) and individual library volumes (e.g. 1, 2, 3, et cetera), they did not reflect as being purchased and thus were not greyed out on Logos.com website.  Needless to say, all of the TJL individual libraries and bundles now show as having been purchased (greyed out) on the Logos.com website once Adam Borries took care of things.

Regards, Wayne

Posts 124
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 4:42 PM

Nathan Parker:

I also just purchased this:

https://www.logos.com/product/8582/john-macarthur-essential-bible-study-library

But noticed it didn't gray out the MacArthur Study Bible:

https://www.logos.com/product/1298/the-macarthur-study-bible

Is that because the MacArthur Study Bible that comes in the above package is slightly different from that one (it says NASB edition)?

Thanks!

Nathan,

I think you are on the right track with the different versions thought.  The version of the MacArthur Study Bible in the Essential Bundle is from John's NASB version of his notes in 2006 and the other resource you refer to (item 1298) is the notes from his KJV Study Bible in 1997.  As you well know, these study bibles only contain the notes and not the actual Bible text.  I have both the KJV Study Bible Notes (1997) and the NASB Study Bible Notes (2006).  Most of the comments, introductions, et cetera are the same.  However, the 2006 version rearranges the Appendices and includes a concordance and small index.  Some of the pictures are rearranged between the versions such as in the Intertestamental Period notes.

I picked my two versions in the "MacArthur Lifeworks Library 2.0" and "John MacArthur Bundle (98 vols.)" from Logos--neither of which are offered anymore.  Since you have the 2006 NASB version, I think you have the more 'updated' version.  The only thing I prefer about the 1997 version is that when opening it up as a resource, you can see commentary by book/chapter in the left-hand table of contents whereas the 2006 version only lists the book of the Bible in the table of contents and you have to scroll through each book of the Bible to find the passage you want to review.  Of course, when liked with a Bible, this really isn't an issue.

Wayne

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 4:43 PM

I did buy the journals directly through Logos (today). The MacArthur collection I bought off Amazon. It did gray out the MacArthur collection on Logos.com, but not the MacArthur Study Bible. 

The only journals that grayed out at Logos.com are the 1-15 collection and the couple individual volumes I purchased a while back. None of the others are graying out. 

I went ahead head and put in an email to LogosSupport so that I can ensure I have all the journals. 

Nathan Parker

Posts 1805
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 6:21 PM

same here for the longest time. bought the 1-15 bundle, but the individuals still not greyed out. confirmed.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 6:28 PM

I bought 1-5, 5-10 and 11,12,13,14,15.

After having bought both 1-5 and 5-10 (and later when 1-10 came out) there were individual packages that didn't show as having been purchased.

I was told at that time that there was a single file in each to differentiate between versions though not a resource file (IE not a missing book) that was in some and not in other sets.

At that time I did confirm I had all the titles (a laborious project).

Haven't looked into it since. But the encouraging part is not everyone with this glitch was shorted resources.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 482
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 11:32 PM

I have the same problem. I really hope I do have all the journals I paid for.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 11 2014 1:08 PM

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been looking into this for you, and a few others, with our Publishing department and it looks like the "Theological Journal Library" was never licensed to include Bibliotheca Sacra volumes 1-90. TJL Vol 1-5 started at BibSac Vol 91.

If you're interested in having access to BibSac 1-90 (1844-1933), there are available in their own bundle. I apologize for any confusion.

Also, the "MacArthur Study Bible" was published in different editions (NASB vs KJV, and Original vs Revised, etc). It looks like you don't own the edition you were looking at on Logos.com, so it wasn't grayed out. I'm not 100% familiar with this resource set, but I believe the notes and content are very similar between the editions, so you may not find it necessary to own both editions - especially when Logos allows you to view the notes alongside any Bible you like, as opposed tot he print editions which came with specific translations attached.

I hope this is helpful.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 11 2014 1:58 PM

Thanks for the info about journals 1-90. I'll chat with my sales rep to see about getting those.

What's still strange though is 1-10, 1-5, etc, are still not showing grayed out at Logos.com, even though I have all of those journal volumes. What is grayed out is 1-15, as well as the individual volumes I purchased a while back ago. Can you look into why those aren't graying out at Logos.com? That tends to be a little confusing.

Sounds good about the MacArthur Study Bible. I am comparing it with a friend of mine that has the one at Logos.com to see how similar it is. If it's close enough, I should be OK.

Thanks a bunch for your assistance!

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 11 2014 2:45 PM

On the MacArthur Study Bible, seems my notes are identical to the one at Logos.com. The only difference is the Bible text used is the NASB vs whatever the one at Logos.com is based off of. Since I use the NASB as my default Bible, it should suit me well. :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 8:54 AM

Nathan Parker:
...What's still strange though is 1-10, 1-5, etc, are still not showing grayed out at Logos.com, even though I have all of those journal volumes. What is grayed out is 1-15, as well as the individual volumes I purchased a while back ago. Can you look into why those aren't graying out at Logos.com? That tends to be a little confusing....

This is strange and I hope someone from Logos explains this soon.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 1:04 PM

I've noticed in the sidebar, many of the journals don't show they're included in the larger collections (some do but not all of them). So it might be a tagging issue that Logos just needs to fix. It looks like it'd be a simple fix.

Nathan Parker

Posts 2037
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 3:50 AM

I bet it's safer to buy TJL from Accordance, it's on a sale right now, complete $199. I haven't done a thorough comparison but they include at least more of the Tyndale, it's very probable there are more differences.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 11:56 AM

Unix:

I bet it's safer to buy TJL from Accordance, it's on a sale right now, complete $199. I haven't done a thorough comparison but they include at least more of the Tyndale, it's very probable there are more differences.

I know the Accordance version includes Vol 16, which I haven't seen hit Logos yet (and it's still iffy if/when that's going to hit). They may have some additional volumes as well.

Good news is they're offering a crossgrade for those that own most of the journals in another platform for $99. I may crossgrade later this year or early next year (since I own 1-15 and Bib Sac 1-90). For now, I'll just use what I have in Logos since I still have plenty of journal material to search, but it is on my wishlist to crossgrade. My CC is a little full, and I've got payment plans open with Logos, Accordance, and WORDsearch, so I'd like to get some of those paid off first. :-)

Nathan Parker

Posts 51
David E Haeuser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 12:21 PM

I own volumes 1-10. If I look at the volumes 1 to 15 collection the dynamic price is 275.34. Yet if I bought each of the five volumes I don't yet have separately the price would be 249.75. Usually collections are a better deal than individual volumes. Looks like not in this case.

Posts 2037
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 12:25 PM

Seeing that You purchased it three weeks ago, You could return it to Logos and ask for it to be refunded as Store Credit if You have anything You need to buy from Logos with in the next few days (or to Your debit card), and buy the Accordance Edition instead if it's equivalent. But I suppose You don't have the liquidity to do so right now:

Nathan Parker:
I know the Accordance version includes Vol 16, which I haven't seen hit Logos yet (and it's still iffy if/when that's going to hit). They may have some additional volumes as well.

Good news is they're offering a crossgrade for those that own most of the journals in another platform for $99. I may crossgrade later this year or early next year (since I own 1-15 and Bib Sac 1-90):

Unix:

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 10362
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 12:40 PM

David E Haeuser:

I own volumes 1-10. If I look at the volumes 1 to 15 collection the dynamic price is 275.34. Yet if I bought each of the five volumes I don't yet have separately the price would be 249.75. Usually collections are a better deal than individual volumes. Looks like not in this case.

Probably best to contact Logos sales—https://www.logos.com/contact 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS