community pricing

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1154
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 12 2014 5:05 AM

I made a suggestion about community pricing, and, of course, Logos doesn’t respond.  So I thought putting it on the forum might help.

There are a lot of good books that look like they are going to die there.  I suggested that after a certain time, say, a year, Logos adds up all the bids, and if the money is there, go ahead with the book.

This means that if somebody was willing to pay $80 for a set of books would pay that, and somebody else who only offered $20 would pay that.

Or maybe after a year, or anytime, Logos could just say how much is needed to publish a book, and maybe somebody would just donate that amount. 

Too many good books just sitting there.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 5:25 AM

Larry Craig:
I suggested that after a certain time, say, a year, Logos adds up all the bids, and if the money is there, go ahead with the book.

So, in the following example, imagine it costs $5,000 to create a book.

• 350 people are willing to pay up to $9, but no more
  • 40 people are willing to pay up to $100, but no more

The way CP works, there'd be 70% of the money raised at the $9 mark (390 people @ $9 = $3,510). At there'd be 80% raised at the $100 mark (40 people @ $100 = $4,000). But there's be no book.

But, if you charged the 350 people $9, and the 40 people $100, then there would be 143% of the total needed, and the title would go into production.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how many of the existing long-delayed CP titles would meet the threshold, even with this new criteria.

A possible extension of your idea would be to create a third-world fund, or something similar. If a CP stalled, those willing to spend more could effectively purchase multiple copies of the resources, which would be given away by Logos to others. That might be an additional incentive.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 2968
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 5:36 AM

Larry Craig:

This means that if somebody was willing to pay $80 for a set of books would pay that, and somebody else who only offered $20 would pay that.

Problem: Many of the high bids are NOT what the person is willing to pay. They bid high so that they do not need to watch the bidding expecting to pay less in the final bid price.  There will need to be a clear message that the rules have changed before this goes into play.  But it is a good idea just need to re-train the community to understand that what you bid is what you will pay even if others pay less.

Posts 12573
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 5:45 AM

The problem in such an approach is that once Logos adopts this as a policy, there is a strong incentive for people to hide their real price point and put in a minimum bid, trying to freeride on the budgets of higher bidders. If too many do so, this kills the model.

One solution to this could be incentives for the higher bidders (such as release in stages: every price point to the right gets it one month earlier).

I once proposed the idea of "preferred" higher bids in another thread.

Another idea proposed to fix the non-movers would be "blind" bidding: people don't see the curve, they input their bid for a resource into a field. This could be combined with either a "everyone pays the same price" or a "everyone pays their own price" model. This would fix the problem of many users just clicking the going price without thinking about the reource value. I personally think this is an ambiguous thing, since I more often tend to go with the going price even if it's slightly higher than what I would've input as a "blind" maximum.    

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 10:56 AM

I like it the way it is.

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 12:53 PM

I am in a strait betwixt the two:

SineNomine:

I like it the way it is.

or

Mark Barnes:
A possible extension of your idea would be to create a third-world fund, or something similar. If a CP stalled, those willing to spend more could effectively purchase multiple copies of the resources, which would be given away by Logos to others. That might be an additional incentive.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 1:21 PM

SineNomine:

I like it the way it is.

Me too.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 171
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 4:17 PM

I can think of an altogether different approach.

Some of the "sleepers" are particularly good values and well-worth having.

I suspect many would-be bidders would jump at the opportunity to get a resource if someone experienced with the resource would write a review for it that would explain just how useful, even necessary, a given resource is.

I've noticed there are some individuals who post here who have what I consider to be a  mistaken attitude or idea that if a resource is "old" it is not worth their while. Some of the "oldies but goodies" I have found are much better than the newest resources.

For example, in Community Pricing there is a set of the original Watchtower Magazine with its beginning issues from the 1800's. Some commented to the effect by raising the question as to why Logos would be making JW resources available for Logos users?

I can tell you the answer. (1) It is helpful to have such original primary resource material for study because the JWs are very active in most communities. They just came to my door about 2 weeks ago. Having such a resource would be a useful resource to document the changes in viewpoint in doctrine and date-setting that the JWs have engaged in over the years.  (2) Such material is useful to deepen your study of apologetics, particularly cult apologetics.

Why do I know? These kind folks came to my apartment for four years every Monday night to teach me the Bible. I learned very much about their beliefs. Many of my Christian friends said I was wasting my time. They were wrong for two reasons I can think of right off:  (1) The Lord used my witness to rescue a person and ultimately her family when I moved to a new neighborhood 60 miles distant from that apartment;  (2) The Lord enabled me to use that knowledge gained to create an index entry for the New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge:  "Jehovah's Witnesses: Answers to Doctrinal Errors," found on page 1562 of the print version.

And specific to that wonderful set of old Watchtower volumes:  When teaching at Cass Technical High School in Detroit, a group of Jewish students who attended the Comparative Religions Club asked me to be the club sponsor. I agreed. These astute and very intellectually capable students invited the local leadership of the Christian Bible Students Association to come and give the club a presentation about their views. Through that contact I became good friends of those leaders. They invited me to some of their special events. At those events they sold the original publications of Charles Russell. This group highly prized the few full printed sets of the original Watchtower volumes that were produced before 1919 when there was a split in the organization. The original group, the Christian Bible Students, still exist. The group nearly all of us are acquainted with, the present day Watchtower Society, now the larger of the two groups, was a splinter group that left the original founders group. The JWs today call the original group from which they parted "The Evil Servant Class."

Now, so what?

When the Lord sends a mission field to your doorstep, is your response to slam the door? Shame on you!

I have found that "the laborers are few." When the Lord enables you to be better prepared in terms of content expertise, the Lord will open doors of service to use you for His glory that you never knew existed.

No matter where the Lord has placed us individually, we need to be better prepared "to give an answer to those who ask" of our faith. We need to be better equipped to share our faith with others.

That is why I think this particular set languishing somewhere in Community Pricing ought to get a huge boost for the Lord's glory in reaching souls.

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 5:38 PM

Jerome Smith:

I can think of an altogether different approach.

Some of the "sleepers" are particularly good values and well-worth having.

I suspect many would-be bidders would jump at the opportunity to get a resource if someone experienced with the resource would write a review for it that would explain just how useful, even necessary, a given resource is.

I've noticed there are some individuals who post here who have what I consider to be a  mistaken attitude or idea that if a resource is "old" it is not worth their while. Some of the "oldies but goodies" I have found are much better than the newest resources.

For example, in Community Pricing there is a set of the original Watchtower Magazine with its beginning issues from the 1800's. Some commented to the effect by raising the question as to why Logos would be making JW resources available for Logos users?

I can tell you the answer. (1) It is helpful to have such original primary resource material for study because the JWs are very active in most communities. They just came to my door about 2 weeks ago. Having such a resource would be a useful resource to document the changes in viewpoint in doctrine and date-setting that the JWs have engaged in over the years.  (2) Such material is useful to deepen your study of apologetics, particularly cult apologetics.

Why do I know? These kind folks came to my apartment for four years every Monday night to teach me the Bible. I learned very much about their beliefs. Many of my Christian friends said I was wasting my time. They were wrong for two reasons I can think of right off:  (1) The Lord used my witness to rescue a person and ultimately her family when I moved to a new neighborhood 60 miles distant from that apartment;  (2) The Lord enabled me to use that knowledge gained to create an index entry for the New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge:  "Jehovah's Witnesses: Answers to Doctrinal Errors," found on page 1562 of the print version.

And specific to that wonderful set of old Watchtower volumes:  When teaching at Cass Technical High School in Detroit, a group of Jewish students who attended the Comparative Religions Club asked me to be the club sponsor. I agreed. These astute and very intellectually capable students invited the local leadership of the Christian Bible Students Association to come and give the club a presentation about their views. Through that contact I became good friends of those leaders. They invited me to some of their special events. At those events they sold the original publications of Charles Russell. This group highly prized the few full printed sets of the original Watchtower volumes that were produced before 1919 when there was a split in the organization. The original group, the Christian Bible Students, still exist. The group nearly all of us are acquainted with, the present day Watchtower Society, now the larger of the two groups, was a splinter group that left the original founders group. The JWs today call the original group from which they parted "The Evil Servant Class."

Now, so what?

When the Lord sends a mission field to your doorstep, is your response to slam the door? Shame on you!

I have found that "the laborers are few." When the Lord enables you to be better prepared in terms of content expertise, the Lord will open doors of service to use you for His glory that you never knew existed.

No matter where the Lord has placed us individually, we need to be better prepared "to give an answer to those who ask" of our faith. We need to be better equipped to share our faith with others.

That is why I think this particular set languishing somewhere in Community Pricing ought to get a huge boost for the Lord's glory in reaching souls.

Agreed.

I was outside one day, and one of my neighbors came running out side yelling (she was quite vulgar with it also) that someone was teaching her something strange and using the bible to do it. She knew I was in bible college (at the time) and wanted me to come visit with them. She had been raised catholic, and been through confirmation. But hadn't been to church in 30 years or so.

I went over, and participated in the bible study :).

Over the course of the next few weeks, my neighbor realized she'd never trusted Christ with her life and became a believer, started going to church and everything (she even quit cursing, drinking and smoking - like a light switch had been toggled in her life). The missionaries visiting her brought her kids shoes, bread, cereal and so forth - so she kept the bible study going. I of course kept attending.

The younger of the two missionaries had been southern baptist, and in their final week the younger woman began to waiver. She was like "I remember these teachings from when I was a kid, and to hear you say them again (she wept) brings me back. She said she wasn't really sure she'd ever been a believer to start with. At that point the old woman shut down the bible study and they left swearing not to come back.

The next week, the woman whose house we had been meeting at died. She had an undiagnosed aneurism in her brain, that had burst.

I am having a hard time phrasing what I want to say next. I do wish I had the JW materials and had studied them in advance of the meetings, I feel like I would have been better equipped. However I know that as a believer and with the help of the Holy Spirit I had all the equipping I needed to accomplish His will. Never the less. I would like to be prepared in case another missions field arrives at my (or my neighbors) doorstep.

Interestingly, its been about ten years, and they haven't been back to my neighborhood that I've heard of. Shh... Don't tell them I moved :)

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS