List of scriptures

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:44 PM

I'd like to just copy paste a list of scriptures and see the results in Logos. Is this possible with Logos?

For instance, one list is: Rom. 1:20Psa. 19:1-4a50:686:8-1089:5-795:1-697:6104:1-35145:9-12Acts 14:17Deut. 6:4-5 and the other is Deut. 4:15-2012:32Matt. 4:9-1015:9Acts 17:23-25Exod. 20:4-6John 4:23-24Col. 2:18-23

thanks

PS - this is from WCF, first list is [1] and second list [2]

Chapter 21 paragraph 1 in the Westminster Confession:

The light of nature showeth that there is a God, who hath lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and doth good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshiping the true God is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshiped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scripture.[2]

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:51 PM

This can be done by using the passage list tool. Here is a screen shot of the references you suggested.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 28022
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:52 PM

Jacques:
I'd like to just copy paste a list of scriptures and see the results in Logos. Is this possible with Logos?

I am not sure exactly what you are asking... it sounds like you might want a passage list. Have you tried creating a passage list document?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9117
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:56 PM

Jacques, it is most certainly possible to do what you'd like.

On the Documents menu choose Passage List.

A blank Passage List will open.

From the Add menu choose clipboard. You will see your verses appear.

You can save the list by clicking on the pencil icon next to Untitled Passage List and then filling in your title.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:59 PM

Thanks! Creating a Passage List document is exactly what I was hoping for. That works very well.

Appreciated. =)

Posts 9117
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:01 PM

You can also add to a passage list by selecting text in a resource that has scripture references imbedded. In this case you could highlight the passage in WCF and select "selected text" from teh Add menu in the Passage Guide.

You can edit the results of the passage guide (sort , delete, and add specific other references, merge with another passage list, etc.). You can also export the passage list to a program like Microsoft Word.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 112
Chad M. Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 8:50 PM

And I literally want the opposite. I want the ability to export from a search or passage list as just a set of references. Literally just like that. It is so important for academic papers. The other two softwares do this easily but we have been asking Logos for years. 

Posts 9117
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:25 PM

Chad M. Foster:

And I literally want the opposite. I want the ability to export from a search or passage list as just a set of references. Literally just like that. It is so important for academic papers. The other two softwares do this easily but we have been asking Logos for years. 

Chad, you can do this from a Passage List. In the Passage List choose the Compact form (references only) and export it. You can't do this from a Search but it would be nice to be able to.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 112
Chad M. Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 15 2014 8:58 PM

Close.  That gives you something like....

Genesis 4:16

Genesis 4:20

Genesis 11:2

Genesis 11:31

Genesis 13:6

Genesis 13:7

Genesis 13:12

That should really read Gen 4:16,20; 11:2,31;13:6-7,12 for that type of paper I am talking about.  That is what I don't get. We have professors at our Seminary that complain that Logos can't do that.  It seems like it would not be that hard of a final step in the export coding to make that happen.  

Posts 9117
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 16 2014 9:21 AM

Chad M. Foster:
 It seems like it would not be that hard of a final step in the export coding to make that happen.  

Agreed, although it just requires manual editing.

Suppose I want the full name of the Bible book rather than the abbreviation? Does Logos need to offer that option? I can't recall what my seminaries required. Just thinking this out a bit further.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 112
Chad M. Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 2:33 PM

Mark, 

Sorry I missed your follow up.  Accordance and Bibleworks both just offer a program preferences place where you can choose how these reference lists are exported.  You can choose full book names, the official SBL abbreviations, or (at least in BW) you can enter your own abbreviations. 

We are building our language program here and many of our papers involve significant work on lexical or linguistic searches that we need to show our references for results.

I was hoping beyond hope to see this in Logos 6. With all of the big features added I had really hoped that this could have been added.  I made the mistake of looking through my account at how much I have spent at Logos and thinking through all of the people I have talked into buying Logos (almost all at the Platinum or greater level) and it hit me that those purchases could have funded a coder for a year or two!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS