Unable to install Logos4 on Parallels VM

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 102
Jac Colon | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:25 AM

I am using Logos 4 on a MacPro with 1600 gigs of ram using parallels and Windows XP. I did install the software via internet download but it was so slow that I uninstalled it, got the disk and attempted to reinstall from the CD.  However after a successful reinstall, when it went to the updating library stage, Logos 4 crashed.  I have uninstalled ant attempted to start over several times but to no avail. I am running parallels with 8 gigs of memory allocated for the virtual machine so memory is not the issue here. Any ideas?

Jac Colón
Speaker, Director, Revelation Now

"They follow the Lamb wherever He goes (Rev 14:4)."

MacPro, 8 core, 2.26 GHz, 16gig

Posts 90
Dale Eads | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 10:36 AM

I'm not really sure if this applies to virtual machines, but unless you are running a 64-bit version of XP, you're wasting 4 Gb of RAM.  32-bit OS's can only utilize a maximum of 4 Gb.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:14 AM

JacColon:
I am running parallels with 8 gigs of memory allocated for the virtual machine so memory is not the issue here. Any ideas?

In another thread, it was reported that Parallels tech persons said that too much RAM will actually slow things down.

JacColon:
 However after a successful reinstall, when it went to the updating library stage, Logos 4 crashed.

You are aware that L4 Mac is Alpha software, aren't you? It is buggy, non-optimized, and ready for testing. If you are up willing to work around these problems, join us in testing, submit bug reports, and post your logs. See the links in my signature.

BTW, your purchase also covers Logos for Mac 1.2.2 and L4 for Windows. Feel free to ask anything here, someone will probably answer.

JacColon:
I am using Logos 4 on a MacPro with 1600 gigs of ram

Wow! That is a huge amount of RAM, or is that a typo? Geeked

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:30 AM

You shouldn't set Parallels to 8 gig of ram as you only have 1.6 (not 1600). Try setting Parallels to 1 Gig. What version of Parallels are you using?

Dan

Posts 102
Jac Colon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info about too much ram.  Never heard of that before.

But I am not talking about L4Mac.  I know that is Mac software.  I am trying to install L4 for windows on my mac using XP on Parallels Version 5.

Typo  not 1600 but should have been 16 :(

jac

Jac Colón

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 1:25 PM

JacColon:
I am trying to install L4 for windows on my mac using XP on Parallels Version 5.

That is the same setup I have. XP Pro under Parallels 5. Since my copy of XP is 32 bit, it will only use a little over 3GB of RAM. I have set Parallels for 4GB and that gives adequate performance. Did you look at the thread in the second link in my signature.

JacColon:
But I am not talking about L4Mac.  I know that is Mac software.

I threw that in free of extra charge since you were on a Mac. 

JacColon:
Typo  not 1600 but should have been 16 :(

I thought that was true, but I could not resist the grin. Geeked

NOTE: Edited after I reread our previous exchange

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:17 PM

16 gig.....nice!

The other tweak that worked for me was to turn off the 3D option under the graphics settings. Resolved no end of graphical glitches!

Posts 102
Jac Colon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I did turn off 3D, and reduce the memory to 4Gig.

After the indexing was done, it is quite robust.  Love it.

Jac Colón

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS