Apple tv and Bible Screen

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 52
Geoff | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 19 2014 9:28 AM

This might be a simple question but I am not an apple guy. We have an apple tv connected to projector that the Sr. Pastor uses air play with for slides and what not. that works fine but before he gets there I would like to be able to get it started and have Bible screen playing rather than the latest and greatest movies and tv shows. Roku has a channel that can be added to their devices but I cannot figure out how to get the bible screen app even on the apple tv let alone run. I would like to do this without using air play so that the Sr. pastor can work with his ipad in his office until the last minute. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 9:59 AM

The applications on Apple TV are controlled by Apple.  You won't be able to load anything on the device separately.  There is no Apple TV app store or anything like that.

I'm not clear on what is meant by "Bible screen" and the reference to "playing".  Maybe if we had some additional detail on what that is we might be able to get more specific with helping.

Having said that, the AirPlay functionality is really outstanding and easy to use.  If you have something on your iPhone or iPad or Mac you can easily stream it to the Apple TV. 

Instructions

Let us know if this helps.

Posts 27267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:20 AM

Geoff:
Roku has a channel that can be added to their devices but I cannot figure out how to get the bible screen app even on the apple tv let alone run.

The Apple TV doesn't have apps... Apple controls which channels are available. At this point, your only choice with the Apple TV is Airplay. 

Geoff:
I would like to do this without using air play so that the Sr. pastor can work with his ipad in his office until the last minute.

What is the connection between using airplay and the Sr. pastor working on his iPad? Is the iPad the only device you have capable of sending an airplay signal?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 52
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:27 AM

Thanks for the information. 

Yes we got the apple tv because he has an ipad. it is the only apple thing we have and it is his personal device. Which is why I was hoping to find a work around. 

Bible Screen is available on Roku as a channel and as an app through Google Play and I guess itunes. It streams bible verses directly to your screen for as long as you let it run. Kind of a nice background to be able to glance up at etc in your home, office, or in this case our Adult Sunday School Room while they wait to get started. 

Posts 27267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:33 AM

Geoff:
Yes we got the apple tv because he has an ipad. it is the only apple thing we have and it is his personal device. Which is why I was hoping to find a work around. 

Sorry! Tongue Tied

The Apple TV is very nice if he wants to be able to use his iPad to send things up to the screen during the sermon. A BETTER solution is to have a Mac. He could use Keynote (Apple's much better version of "powerpoint") and control the slides from his iPad. That works great. 

Also, Biblescreen can be streamed from the web: http://biblescreen.com 

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:46 AM

Geoff:

http://biblescreen.com/?utm_source=verseoftheday&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4765038&utm_campaign=promo-biblescreenapp2014

You could get your pastor to make a photo stream of the photos and have AppleTV play them, alternatively you could have him download the iOS BibleScreen App and have his iPad run it.

-Dan

Posts 52
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:02 AM

Can you access the web from the Apple tv? The other thing I thought of was using Youtube and allowing it to play through a play list of the logos animations etc and get the same effect. What do you think?

Posts 27267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:51 AM

Geoff:
Can you access the web from the Apple tv?

No. The Apple TV does not have a web browser. 

Geoff:
The other thing I thought of was using Youtube and allowing it to play through a play list of the logos animations etc and get the same effect. What do you think?

Bad idea, unless you want random bikini clad girls showing up. Youtube is an awful choice and should not be used in church (imo).

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:21 PM

Geoff:
The other thing I thought of was using Youtube and allowing it to play through a play list of the logos animations etc and get the same effect. What do you think?

That should work as long as you select the files to play. I would not fear youtube... It is like a book store. There are many things that will offend but you do not have to pick those books... or videos in this case.

-dan

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:35 PM

The biggest concern with youtube (and I'm not sure how this works) is the random advertisements they insert.  

Some videos seem to give me the ability to skip the advert after 3 seconds, other's make me watch the whole advertisement.  
I don't know if these can play on the Logos channel or if you have to give YT permission, but I'm certain of this: I would not trust what commercials will and won't play.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 27267
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 1:25 PM

Dan Francis:
I would not fear youtube... It is like a book store. There are many things that will offend but you do not have to pick those books... or videos in this case.

Wrong, unless I have completely missed something. There are sometimes advertisements at the beginning, which you nor the original content provider have any control over. There are also "what to watch next" video thumbnails at the end. See harmless screen shot below:

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 1:27 PM

I just downloaded the Bible Screen APP to my iPhone... I would bet someone in your congergation  must have an old iPhone or iPod touch that could be dedicated to streaming this to the AppleTV. Or even stream while they are there...

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 1:34 PM

Geoff:
I would like to do this without using air play

Without Air Play, Apple TV content cannot be app-driven.  If your Pastor (or someone else) runs the Logos Bible Screen app on their Apple device and it's paired with the Apple TV using Air Play it should work fine, but without Air Play I'm not sure of the best solution for you.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 2:05 PM

Geoff:

Bible Screen is available on Roku as a channel and as an app through Google Play and I guess itunes. It streams bible verses directly to your screen for as long as you let it run. Kind of a nice background to be able to glance up at etc in your home, office, or in this case our Adult Sunday School Room while they wait to get started. 

I just checked the iTunes store and Bible Screen (Logos) is available there for free.  (I learned something new myself. Smile)

I think you have your solution.  Just download the app to an iOS device and stream it to the Apple TV.  It should be about as easy as you could ever want.  In fact, I just download it and had it streaming to my big screen TV through an Apple TV using AirPlay ...  oh, I think it took all of 2-3 minutes.

Good luck!  Let us know how it works.

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 2:09 PM

I never thought of the ads... you are right there, I do not use you tube too much and while going to the Logos videos i got no ads but that is no guarantee others won;t :S

-Dan

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 2:21 PM

Kevin Byford:

Geoff:
I would like to do this without using air play

Without Air Play, Apple TV content cannot be app-driven.  If your Pastor (or someone else) runs the Logos Bible Screen app on their Apple device and it's paired with the Apple TV using Air Play it should work fine, but without Air Play I'm not sure of the best solution for you.

If you have Bible Screen on an iOS device, you could bypass the Apple TV and AirPlay by using one of the cables from Apple (they have several kinds) to physically connect your device to the projector.

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 6:50 PM

You may also want to look at getting Bible Screen on DVD, where it is available with no ads, and your choice of all stills or all animations tracks (or a mix).

https://www.logos.com/product/43487/bible-screen-on-dvd

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS