Interested in Thorough Interlinear Software Only

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Eric Haddix | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 21 2014 5:04 AM

Hello! :-) I'm interested in purchasing some software from Logos Bible Software. But, since I am on a budget, I need to get only what I absolutely need and cut out absolutely anything else. Specifically, I need:

• Interlinear Programs

I need resources which provide thorough interlinear translations of the NA28 and BHS texts. That is, completely break down the words in the said texts and provide the local lexiconal and general definitions of the said broken down words from Strong's and other respected resources. And, on top of this, provide detailed grammatical analyses of the sentences in the said texts, as in identifying the exact grammatical forms of the words (i.e. tense, verb form, singular/plural, person perspective, gender, etc.) and exactly how they link together grammatically (i.e. grammatical queues in words and sentence structure, etc.). Plus, of course, material which cross-references each piece of such data selectively and individually.

Beyond this, I don't want any extra commentaries, devotionals, geographical maps, and so on, unless it is directly related to explaining the difficulties of translating the said texts or the essential historical background of the said texts.

For this, what software packages would I need to purchase from Logos Bible Software? Any demos of the said packages in particular? And how much would they cost? Would there be an affordable monthly payment plan for them?

Moreover, I also need:

• A Multi-Language Word Processor

Frequently, when I try to incorporate actual Hebrew text into my Microsoft Word documents, the said Hebrew text is displayed improperly and the text of the document is messed up in general.

Does Logos Bible Software sell a word processor which is designed to display English and all of the Biblical languages side-by-side? Is there a demo for it? How much does it cost?

Thanks in advance for reading and replying. These are serious questions for a serious purchase. I welcome answers from fellow LBS customers as well as official LBS staff.

Posts 29730
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 8:59 AM

Welcome! Smile

You can purchase "minimal cross grades" to acquire certain licenses that are normally purchased in "base packages," but I am not a languages person and your question is more technical... I will let someone else tackle that for you.

Eric Haddix:
Does Logos Bible Software sell a word processor which is designed to display English and all of the Biblical languages side-by-side? Is there a demo for it? How much does it cost?

Logos isn't in the "word processor" business, but users might be able to point you in the right direction. It might be helpful, however, to know what platform you are on.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 10:49 AM

Eric, adding to Alabama's comments:

1. The crossgrade, as he mentions, represent reverse interlinears.  By definition, they're not NA/UBS or BHS (they track english translations).  However they DO represent considerable power in helping you analyze the hebrew/greek text (they're the 'engine' for other analyses in Logos).

2. Hebrew interlinear: https://www.logos.com/product/2056/lexham-hebrew-english-interlinear-bible 

3. Greek interlinear (this is NA27; NA28 is not yet available as an interlinear): https://www.logos.com/product/1814/nestle-aland-27th-edition-greek-new-testament-with-mcreynolds-english-interlinear 

Another greek interlinear produced in-house by Logos: https://www.logos.com/product/8569/lexham-greek-english-interlinear-new-testament-collection 

If you're a student/academia, Logos offers a decent original languages package though very likely it's not in the price range you're trying to achieve.

In addition, you'd likely need HALOT and BDAG which Logos offers as a package at an attractive price.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 33258
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 11:10 AM

Logos does not sell a word processor. However, Word should work for you with the correct fonts and settings. If you post a screen shot of your language settings, we may be able to spot the problem. I'll leave if to Hebrew experts to suggest the fonts.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 6:08 PM

Eric Haddix:

Hello! :-) I'm interested in purchasing some software from Logos Bible Software. But, since I am on a budget, I need to get only what I absolutely need and cut out absolutely anything else. Specifically, I need: Interlinear Programs... A Multi-Language Word Processor

On the interlinear bibles, you should call/email with a Logos salesperson. They'll be best enabled to give you what you're looking for. 

If you're a mac user, then Mellel is the Hebrew Word Processor of choice. 

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 6:13 PM

Logos offers a free utility to change your keyboard from English to Greek or Hebrew: https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/windows/keyboards

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 6:14 PM

Eric Haddix:

Hello! :-) I'm interested in purchasing some software from Logos Bible Software. But, since I am on a budget, I need to get only what I absolutely need and cut out absolutely anything else. Specifically, I need: Interlinear Programs... A Multi-Language Word Processor

On the interlinear bibles, you should call/email with a Logos salesperson. They'll be best enabled to give you what you're looking for. 

Posts 3
Eric Haddix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 3:10 AM

Mike S.:
Eric Haddix:

I did. I emailed Customer Service with these inquiries on September 14.  Then, on September 15,  they forwarded these email inquiries to Sales. Since then, I've gotten no reply from Sales and a tad bit frustrated, especially since I might be giving LBS hundreds of dollars in business. In contrast, my previous email dealing with LBS, which was purely an inquiry, was pretty prompt and helpful.

That's why I decided to inquire about what I wanted on these forums. I figured that I would try switching it up and see what info that I could get here.

I guess that I'll just have to call and reference my email in order to be sure.  

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 3:50 AM

Hardware-wise, I use this: http://www.trulyergonomic.com

Logos has put more effort into producing reverse interlinears, than interlinears, most of the former covering only the NT. There is a separate reverse interlinear NT, it would be the cheapest option:

Nov 7, 2013 3515623

$49.95

I think the 1971 2nd Edition RSV New Testament is really good as an English version. (Don't confuse it with the Catholic Editions (-CE) which are all (even the newest, whether there are any (reverse) interlinears or not) based on the 1946 1st Edition.)

There's also a Deuterocanonicals reverse interlinear in case You would need, based on the NRSV.

I don't think You would necessarily need to pay for version 5, Logos 4 Minimal Crossgrade contains the reverse interlinears (You said You needed the Old Testament as well), unless You wanted the Biblical Languages base-package (as has been pointed out only available as a full-time student) - with the student discount the price of it is cheaper. You can look later on into paying for version 5 and meanwhile use the free software: http://www.logos.com/installation

The Lexham Interlinear ("non-reverse") plus BDAG and HALOT (these two are not included in almost any base-packages, can't even remember HALOT being included in any) may be some of Your best purchases. The Biblical Languages base-package comes with the 1996 LSJ. Lexicons are not on a sale all that often and the discounts are not good and I think that's deliberate by Logos as there are people who have to buy these lexicons anyway and most people won't buy them before they need them. I gave up and went with most of the big (the recent, of course) lexicons in Accordance used.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:24 AM

Eric Haddix:

Mike S.:
Eric Haddix:

I did. I emailed Customer Service with these inquiries on September 14.  Then, on September 15,  they forwarded these email inquiries to Sales. Since then, I've gotten no reply from Sales and a tad bit frustrated, especially since I might be giving LBS hundreds of dollars in business. In contrast, my previous email dealing with LBS, which was purely an inquiry, was pretty prompt and helpful.

That's why I decided to inquire about what I wanted on these forums. I figured that I would try switching it up and see what info that I could get here.

Let me take a minute to recommend rusty davidson (Rusty.Davidson@logos.com) he's my sales rep and probably the best one to reach by email. 

I use word for word processing. If your school has a volume license you can purchase (Sometimes) through the "home use program" for 10$. You get not only word but all of office professional plus. I think the main pre-requisite is an .edu email address. Google the home use program, check the box for not knowing your program number, and then type in your email. They have good tools for modern living languages. With the previously mentioned keyboard, you can use Word to work on original language stuff. Just be mindful of your spelling and grammar as it won't check that for you.

If you do email Rusty, mention my name :). I most likely won't get anything - but it will make him smile as he is a friend of mine.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 4:40 AM

Eric,

I realize you only want to purchase “just want you need”, but a better goal in my opinion is to purchase “what you need at the lowest price.” Identify all the Logos resources and datasets that you desire in you library and add up their total cost. Now find a base package that contain most or all of those resources and compare prices. If the total is less for the base package, don’t worry about the all the “junk books” that are in the package, the base packages are so heavily discounted (90% plus) that you will end up paying less. Rarely will you find the type books you are after discounted more than 30%.

One more thing, it would be very helpful for us to know exactly what you need these interlinears and word processor for. Are you a theological student? Are you a pastor? Are you a layperson wanting do some work in the original language? Depending on your answer we can point you to not only the best package, but also the best resources.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 5:17 AM

Eric,

You are aware that all the Greek and Hebrew texts in Logos will display everything you want (except Strong’s numbers) when you place your mouse curser over a Greek or Hebrew word. Download the free SBL Greek NT and try it out.

Strong’s numbers are really not necessary anymore and if you really think you need them the many reverse interlinears Logos has provides that information.

The fact that you desire Strong’s numbers indicates to me that you probably have had no formal training in Greek or Hebrew. A better option for you than an actual interlinear will be opening a reverse interline and an actual Greek or Hebrew bible side by side. This way you can see the original word order by looking that the original language bible and all the other information you desire in the reverse interlinear.

I would recommend the Bronze or Silver Base package. If you call Logos’ 800 number and ask for Dave Kaplin give him my name (Keith Larson) you will get a 15% discount on the package. Be sure at the time or ordering to purchase the rest of the Datasets, I think it takes only an additional $30. This is a special discount on the dataset that is only available at the time of purchasing a base package. You can also get special discounts on other items, the best being the IVP Essential Library (I think a 50% discount).

These types of discounts are only available it you call a live sales person.

You can also call abondservant’s sales rep and he can give you similar discounts. To get that 15% discount from abondservant’s rep you would have to mention his name.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:42 AM

Another possibility it the Discourse Greek and Hebrew bundles. These will give you a regular interlinear. The Hebrew is not finished yet, but if you purchase it you will get the books that are done. The added bonus is you don't have to purchase the Crossgrades and you get all the discourse information.

It will not display Strong's numbers, but these are really unnecessary.

Posts 3
Eric Haddix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:50 AM

abondservant:

Eric Haddix:

Mike S.:
Eric Haddix:

Let me take a minute to recommend rusty davidson (Rusty.Davidson@logos.com) he's my sales rep and probably the best one to reach by email.

If you do email Rusty, mention my name :). I most likely won't get anything - but it will make him smile as he is a friend of mine.

Thanks for the recommendation and the info. I did email Mr. Davidson. And I mentioned that you recommended him, lol. :-)

I'm getting some interesting recommendations from other people on this thread (thanks, everyone! :-) ). I'm going to get Mr. Davidson to help me sort things out a bit.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 11:48 AM

generic Bronze isn't the worst choice (I'd go with Anglican Bronze though), but I've kind of regretted my generic Bronze purchase. If I at that time (November 2012) would have known there would eventually be some many more denominational base-package options I would definitely have waited too see. I could have bought only the resources I needed at +/- $0 cost instead of the upgrade if I would have bought everything I ever wanted from Bronze, individually. I've added all kinds of books during 2013-2014. In 2012 I didn't add much more than Hermeneia/Continental commentaries (which is kind of not relevant to what You're asking but still my biggest single purchase).

Even the Biblical Languages base-package is pretty basic and Bronze doesn't contain much of the language tools contained in it.

My mom, who financed most of my Bronze upgrade cost (from L4 Original Languages Library) has several times since asked me whether I've had use for the books, especially at uni, and honestly I haven't had much use for Bronze. So even though she financed a part of it (which was a rare occasion) I knew I would be forced to justify the purchase so that's why I've been thinking how much use I've had. One thing that surprised me about Bronze though, was the few decent devotionals, from which I still use My Utmost for His Highest. I've also added the Devotionals Topical Bundle version 1 Small which I got at a discount just in time for my birthday back in 2013, less than a year ago.

Your needs may differ of course, I just thought I'd point out that Bronze contains various books, is not as broad as You would think (the generic Bronze doesn't contain any actual verse-by-verse commentaries) and does not consist of books that most people need - because my impression is actually that it just contains what Logos happened to be able to negotiate with publishers.

I would not recommend Silver because of the main commentary set included in it.

generic Gold contains UBS (Translator's) Handbook series (it might still be incomplete if Logos hasn't made any changes to the generic Gold since November 2012 when it came out but dynamic pricing applies if You want to get the additional volumes) which might be of some use to You if You don't have it elsewhere. I've investigated this base-package too as well as Platinum but can't think of anything more to say about them from the top of my head as it's been a while and I have other things (schoolwork at uni) to think about.

But all these base-package levels: Silver and Gold add so much more irrelevant books so the problem is about as big as with lower level base-packages.

It's easy to get carried away since Logos focuses so much on base-packages in their marketing and their pricing system. Many times a deep discount IS a reason to buy, but a very large share of what Logos offers is all kinds of collections, bundles and base-packages, which is unfortunate for us but by an average profitable for Logos. On the other hand, the availability and the price vs what-You-get ratio of the most needed individual resources and base-packages clearly shows in what way Logos profits from them - if they wouldn't be marketed or if by for some other reason people wouldn't buy them the offers would not look exactly like this. But language resources don't sell to all that many who are not intending to learn the language, so Logos has marketed or still markets for example the BDAG/HALOT bundle as "staff pick" on many product pages of various items - and I'm not sure how successful that is other than profiling Logos as serious and it may be the case that the publishers pay Logos some for those listings - we don't know. All in all I just wanted to say that it's unfortunate that Logos sort of "has to" sell books of little value or of value to very few, to many, instead of focusing on advanced tools, but the nature of the Logos store has become that You find everything here and everything is not necessarily a good deal just because it's listed (or even bundled):

Eric Haddix:
I'm getting some interesting recommendations from other people on this thread (thanks, everyone! :-) ). I'm going to get Mr. Davidson to help me sort things out a bit.

Btw, I've recently written about my base-package upgrade path, but past and present, at: think I'm postponing my advanced Bible Study software upgrades (off-site).

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 3:03 PM

Also - I learned today that students with .edu email address may qualify for a free copy of office 365. I signed up for it just so that I could access office from my phone/tablet.

HERE is the link to the Microsoft program. May it be a blessing to you and others :)"

I personally have heavily invested in base packages. I have nearly 7000 titles in logos mostly from base packages including some academic works, and expensive original language tomes and have averaged about 97 cents per title! This includes things like NA28 (though not yet the apparatus) which are something like 100$ in print format alone. The base packages I have are logos 2 level 3, l3 scholars, l4 scholars, l5 platinum, reformed platinum, pentecostal and charismatic silver, baptist silver, and am saving up for Anglican starter and Lutheran starter.

I love my Logos library.

I had a professor declare in class the other day that for this paper we were assigned that we'd not be able to support the level of research expected from us from our own personal libraries. Being a guy, I took that as a challenge (though I admit I don't have the average seminarians home library), and came up with a list of 200 resources, journals, commentaries, monographs and so forth that dealt with the topic of rapture (the assigned topic of the paper).

I submitted that as the bibliography for his approval. He still managed to add a title to the list, but gave me a 100%. :)

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS