The Enduring Layouts Mystery

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 28 2014 10:55 AM

This is an unimportant thread.  I didn't add 'bug' since I just don't think 'layouts' can ever be fixed.

Observation #1:

I use a single layout, so I hadn't looked at layouts for a while.  Interestingly it dutifully kept all mine going back to 2012!  A few last-closed and snapshots.   I'm not sure how many there'd be if I used more than 1 layout.  Does it ever clear?

Observation #2:

I actually have 2 layouts saved. In theory.  The one I always use, and a quick 1-pager for desperate times.  Even though the small one was listed as available, I didn't see it in the snapshots.  So, I clicked on the small one to see what would happen:

Isn't that fascinating?  The layout is remembered but not the ability to display it.  I assume they never did put in code to make sure saved layouts didn't get deleted in the snapshot list?

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 28 2014 11:14 AM

Replying to myself, after I wrote the above, I cleared my L5 and then clicked on the layout in my shortcut bar.  It refers to my standard big-boy layout that I fixed just minutes ago and saved (update active layout).

What's odd, is it loaded an older version.  Not the one I just 'saved' (update active layout).  I'm exhausted.  Actually this all started when I noticed I was using an older layout this morning; not my current one.

How can that happen?  Using a shortcut to update active layout doesn't update the active layout you're using?  Plus it shouldn't be hard.  There's only 1!

I guess each time re-start, I'll have to verify which layout it loaded from the shortcut.

Posts 28707
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 28 2014 4:31 PM

Denise:
Does it ever clear?

Have you ever asked it to clear?

Denise:
 The layout is remembered but not the ability to display it.

When you store the layout in an inconsistent half-updated state, how do you expect the system to respond? Not guessing seems to be a valid solution.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 28 2014 5:39 PM

No, I can't say as I've ever put in a formal request for it to clear.  And I don't plan to do it manually, since they're all labeled exactly the same (the name of the only layout I have).

And I can't recall the day I stored the layout in an inconsistent half-updated state. Users shouldn't be so sloppy.

Plus of course there's the curiousity of it reaching back in time to bring an older layout version forward.  I'll have to tell it not to do that.  Maybe have Libby give Logos some pointers.

Posts 28707
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 28 2014 7:17 PM

Denise:
Plus of course there's the curiousity of it reaching back in time to bring an older layout version forward.

This one I can't explain just like I can't explain why the IE quote function works so poorly in these forums ... I'm going to have to return to a browser I like.

Denise:
Users shouldn't be so sloppy.

Spoken like a true computer. HAL is proud of you ... HAL being a Livermore CDC machine if I recall correctly ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25576
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 4:54 AM

Denise:
  I'm not sure how many there'd be if I used more than 1 layout.  Does it ever clear?

No. You have to do that manually.

Denise:
 Even though the small one was listed as available, I didn't see it in the snapshots.  So, I clicked on the small one to see what would happen:

If listed on the LHS with no layout image on RHS I might not expect what you got, but it seems a reasonable thing for "active" layouts to doSmile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25576
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 5:00 AM

Denise:
I didn't add 'bug' since I just don't think 'layouts' can ever be fixed.

"Active" layouts don't need to be fixed! My laptop continues to get a named layout from the desktop so that I will always have a workable layout, but I then have to go and reinstate an older layout image from the laptop.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10765
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 8:42 AM

Well, I promise not to threaten 'active' layouts, since I've no idea what they are (in my actual running L5).  On my L5, everything is 'Lrg' (the single named layout).  If I save the 'active layout', I've no idea which of the 20 or so 'Lrg' layouts got saved.  I already found out a saved active layout to a named layout doesn't save to the named layout but rather an older version.

Nor does the header provide any help .... 'Lrg'.  Libby (I hate to say this), didn't have workspaces all named by the system the same.

But luckily my L5 isn't 'production'.  If Proclaim is programmed like Logos, I really feel for them.

EDIT: I notice a Proclaim thread this AM, where disaster struck on Saturday, and the really nice Proclaim guy apologized for something they 'published' Friday evening.  I didn't want to introduce my ascerbic wit ...  'Friday night??'.  But I've sat thru so many services where the presentation hickup'd right in the middle of the pastor's key message.  

I really don't understand Logos.  Or the supplement company (Faithlife).

Posts 25576
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 29 2014 3:47 PM

Denise:
Well, I promise not to threaten 'active' layouts, since I've no idea what they are

It's because they are so 'active' in looking out for our best interestsStick out tongue

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS