Master Journal Bundle (1001 vols.) No Dynamic Pricing

Page 8 of 11 (209 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 208 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:37 PM

Yes :

Joseph Turner:
I'm not Catholic, but I would like to see Catholic Biblical Quarterly.
David Sloan:
As a New Testament professor, the absence of [...] Also no Catholic Biblical Quarterly [...] and CBQ, and I'll be clicking the Purchase button in a second.

I agree that these two are very interesting ones:

David Sloan:
I also am interested in BBR [...] and Tyndale Bulletin.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 26525
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:54 PM

Mark Barnes:

How about Seminary Journal Bundle?

Aren't many of the Academic Journals also published by seminaries? If I were looking at logical ways to divide journals, I would start with something like:

• scripture study
  • theological study
  • praxis

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26525
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 12:06 AM

Phil Gons:

Should we also remove everything prior to, say, 1970?

The difficult thing is that some people do want older journals as well.

Given that a major use of journals is to trace the history of a particular opinion or question, removing older material solely on age would be a foolish move.

You are also missing a whole class of peer-reviewed journals ... I'm not near a library at the moment but think:

• Worship Magazine
  • Journal for Liturgical Studies
  • Gottesdienst: The Journal of Lutheran Liturgy

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 2:15 AM

Phil Gons:

Mark Smith:
I am not interested in these very old journals. I'd prefer these be bundled separately as journals of historical interest. I don't think this collection should have any historical journals or journals that are no longer being published.

What about Bibsac, which covers the same time period up through the present? Should we also remove everything prior to, say, 1970?

Unless you're looking at historical interpretation, any journals more than 40 years old are unlikely to be useful for academic study, certainly in biblical studies. I'm not saying they should be excluded, but I do agree with Mark that perhaps they should be treated differently (rather like "Classic Commentaries on....").

Phil Gons:

Mark Smith:
(I count 11 journals that do not go back before 2006.) Is there a reason for this?

I might be missing something, but the reason is simple: they didn't start until 2006 or later. We have the first volume and beyond. Notice how most of them start at volume 1. For the couple that don't, they were continuations of earlier journals that went through a name change.

I think Mark's point was that Logos should be prioritising established journals that have stood the test of time. Newly published online journals (or Wipf & Stock) have far less value that things like JSNT, NTS, CBQ, JBL, ZNTW and the like.

Generally, it's stuff from publishers like Brill and Sage, or available on JSTOR, that are most useful academically. Journals from Evangelical Seminaries or organisations like CBMW and CCEF are also very useful for ministry, of course.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 3:36 AM

In answering your question Phil, I will go for the everything bundle - I find my searches of articles in journals to frequently be the most rewarding. Thanks for working so hard on this, looking forward to it immensely!

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 3:39 AM

Perhaps dividing the collections, with a bit of overlap, would be the solution? Collections up to 1977. And collections starting from 1972:

Mark Barnes:
Unless you're looking at historical interpretation, any journals more than 40 years old are unlikely to be useful for academic study, certainly in biblical studies. I'm not saying they should be excluded, but I do agree with Mark that perhaps they should be treated differently (rather like "Classic Commentaries on...."):
Phil Gons:
What about BibSac, which covers the same time period up through the present? Should we also remove everything prior to, say, 1970?:
Mark Smith:
I am not interested in these very old journals. I'd prefer these be bundled separately as journals of historical interest. I don't think this collection should have any historical journals or journals that are no longer being published.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1976
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 6:19 AM

I agree that the way this has been rolled out has been somewhat underwhelming, but I am excited about the push to get as many journals as possible in Logos.  I think that they just got a little too excited and jumped the gun.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 8:09 AM

Mark Barnes:

Phil Gons:

Mark Smith:
(I count 11 journals that do not go back before 2006.) Is there a reason for this?

I might be missing something, but the reason is simple: they didn't start until 2006 or later. We have the first volume and beyond. Notice how most of them start at volume 1. For the couple that don't, they were continuations of earlier journals that went through a name change.

I think Mark's point was that Logos should be prioritising established journals that have stood the test of time. Newly published online journals (or Wipf & Stock) have far less value that things like JSNT, NTS, CBQ, JBL, ZNTW and the like.

Generally, it's stuff from publishers like Brill and Sage, or available on JSTOR, that are most useful academically. Journals from Evangelical Seminaries or organisations like CBMW and CCEF are also very useful for ministry, of course.

Mark catches my point. For whatever reason (new journals, publishing rights, etc.) the collection is very shallow time-wise. I was curious: is this because you've been told 'No' by many journals that would give greater depth (time-wise), you just haven't gotten to 'Yes', or that this collection is intentionally biased toward more recent publications? My observation is that the collection looks way better than it really is. When you count the number of different journals it seems substantial. When you count how many journal volumes you'd actually receive it isn't substantial at all. I was hoping to hear a bit on the why of this particular set of journals.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1827
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 8:35 AM

Mark Smith:
Mark catches my point. For whatever reason (new journals, publishing rights, etc.) the collection is very shallow time-wise. I was curious: is this because you've been told 'No' by many journals that would give greater depth (time-wise), you just haven't gotten to 'Yes', or that this collection is intentionally biased toward more recent publications? My observation is that the collection looks way better than it really is. When you count the number of different journals it seems substantial. When you count how many journal volumes you'd actually receive it isn't substantial at all. I was hoping to hear a bit on the why of this particular set of journals.

This is simply a result of the licenses we have at this point. It's not intentional. We'd obviously love to have all the best journals covered before tapping into the second and third tiers, but some of these have exclusive agreements and others will just take some time.

Posts 1827
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 8:36 AM

MJ. Smith:

You are also missing a whole class of peer-reviewed journals ... I'm not near a library at the moment but think:

• Worship Magazine
  • Journal for Liturgical Studies
  • Gottesdienst: The Journal of Lutheran Liturgy

I added these to our wishlist.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 8:47 AM

Phil Gons:

Mark Smith:

What about Bibsac, which covers the same time period up through the present? Should we also remove everything prior to, say, 1970?

The difficult thing is that some people do want older journals as well. It's challenging to build collections that have only the things that each individual customer is interested in. There's got to be a compromise somewhere. You either purchase the journals you want individually, or you purchase a collection that has some things you're not interested it, but at a better value. Sounds like the TJL Upgrade Bundle plus a few individuals might be the best fit for your needs.

My BibSac volumes start at Vol. 91, in 1934. WTJ starts in 1938. JETS in 1958. I doubt I access any of the earlier volumes of these three.

I would not remove older content already included in the old TJL.

I would set a dividing line for new material. 1970 sounds about right. If a new journal only goes back to 1960 or so, include all of it. If a journal has a long history, offer the volumes before 1970 separately. Those who then want to pay for old volumes will have a chance to do so.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 8:58 AM

Phil Gons:
but some of these have exclusive agreements

Those are the words we don't want to hear but were afraid we would hear. For the sake of full disclosure and to allow your customers to make informed decisions, would you tell us which journals have exclusive agreements?

This Theological Collection and the TJL update are two pretty weak offerings. They'd have to be very inexpensive or beefed up considerably both in breadth and depth.

Even with your effort to repackage the ones you have available, I have to say Logos' killing of the TJL is looking very bad after you've had almost 2 years to work on replacing it. A little bit more information might put our minds at ease or help us make an informed decision.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 9:07 AM

Mark Smith:
This Theological Collection and the TJL update are two pretty weak offerings. They'd have to be very inexpensive or beefed up considerably both in breadth and depth.

There is something additional to consider in all this.  The price.  

I have long recognized the value (content) and value (price) of the TJL bundles.  For about $50 every year I got a powerful update to my journal collection.  To be honest, that is hitting the top of what I budget for this now.  These days my budget is immovable.

Putting many/any of these bundles of journals above that price point is going to eliminate me. I know I'm only one, and I'm not asking for favors, I just hope to see something I am willing to afford.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 9:11 AM

Mark Smith:

Phil Gons:

Mark Smith:

The difficult thing is that some people do want older journals as well. It's challenging to build collections that have only the things that each individual customer is interested in. There's got to be a compromise somewhere. You either purchase the journals you want individually, or you purchase a collection that has some things you're not interested it, but at a better value. Sounds like the TJL Upgrade Bundle plus a few individuals might be the best fit for your needs.

My BibSac volumes start at Vol. 91, in 1934. WTJ starts in 1938. JETS in 1958. I doubt I access any of the earlier volumes of these three.

I would not remove older content already included in the old TJL.

I would set a dividing line for new material. 1970 sounds about right. If a new journal only goes back to 1960 or so, include all of it. If a journal has a long history, offer the volumes before 1970 separately. Those who then want to pay for old volumes will have a chance to do so.

I for one do want older journals...just this past month there have been 2-3 times that  I have researched a passage from Matthew and the "main article" that everyone else cited in my Logos commentaries was from an earlier year. This was concerning a Biblical study.

Then if f the subject is archaeology, the early years are crucial to have, as often the latter years build on what was previously said OR certain places have been "off-limits" to archaeology and thus the earlier articles are ALL that we have access to concerning certain sites.

Charlene

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 9:47 AM

Charlene:

I for one do want older journals...just this past month there have been 2-3 times that  I have researched a passage from Matthew and the "main article" that everyone else cited in my Logos commentaries was from an earlier year. This was concerning a Biblical study.

Then if f the subject is archaeology, the early years are crucial to have, as often the latter years build on what was previously said OR certain places have been "off-limits" to archaeology and thus the earlier articles are ALL that we have access to concerning certain sites.

There are articles of real value in the older journals. However it is also true that much that first appeared in a journal that was of value has been incorporated in later publications.

My comments about older resources should be confined to the collection about which I was speaking. For the Academic Collection, I'd think users would probably want all the journals available.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 617
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 9:48 AM

Phil Gons:
but some of these have exclusive agreements

Does this include any in the old TJLs?
And if so are these going to remain permanently/indefinitely unavailable in Logos now that TJL 1-15 have been pulled?

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 9:52 AM

Phil, I have not followed the entire thread, and this may have been reocmmended.

1. Break the collections up into smaller size bites.

• Small
  • Medium Size
  • Large
  • Mega
  • With dynamic pricing of course.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 10:32 AM

What is the difference between peer-reviewed and peer-dependant?   Smile

Remember Rehoboam?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 12:05 PM

I don't know if others have any interest but I would love to see the peer-reviewed Philosophia Christi from the Evangelical Philosophical Society added to the bundle.

Posts 676
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 12:39 PM

I am going to recommend something maybe a bit ambitious.... if you are having a hard time with licensing issues you can always bypass that process and start having Faithlife journals. I recommend these categories/journals

1. OT Studies

2. NT Studies

3. Pastoral Studies 

4. Theological studies 

Page 8 of 11 (209 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS