Theological Journal Wishlist

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 2903
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 7 2014 12:42 PM

I'm pulling for these, published by CUA Press, and The Thomist, which would excellently complement Faithlife's growing stock of Thomistic materials.

The American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly would be great for Noet.

First Things has a very wide ecumenical readership and is always looking for another income stream.

Usus Antiquior was a valuable, if brief and now defunct journal. (It ran from 2010-2012.) You could probably get its content for free, since it's presently distributed without cost, and it is particularly valuable to those interested in the liturgy. Antiphon is a higher level, still very active liturgical journal with a wider readership (1996-).

Nova et Vetera (1926-) is a very high level and hard-hitting Catholic journal of (principally) systematic and moral theology.

I'll add others as I recall them or make use of them again.

Posts 459
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 9 2014 8:38 AM

I would love to have access to Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies which is published by the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies and edited by Adam DeVille.

Posts 566
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 21 2014 10:12 PM

Phil, I made a recommended list of Journals here that I would LOVE to own in Logos format (instead of in paper format). I'm not sure if you saw it. I'm assuming that most (if not all) should already be on your list (since you have 700+), which would mean you have found some that I have not found in my searches.

Logos 8.1.0.0016 + Faithlife Connect | macOS Mojave 10.14.2 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 1588
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 22 2014 2:33 AM

Besides what has already been mentioned...

Chicago Studies

Currents in Theology and Mission

Pro Ecclesia

Word and World

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 18492
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 3:58 PM

Mark Barnes:
Criswell Theological Review

Yes

Many of the others on your list are ones I'd also give a thumbs up to, Mark, but this one in particular I just found a reference to in BECNT Rev and wanted to follow it up but couldn't.

I'd also like to request:

Journal from the Radical Reformation ("the scholarly journal representing the ‘alternative’ theology and biblical understandings of people associated with the Radical Reformation since the 1500’s")

Not that it's from a perspective I'd agree with (its subtitle is "A Testimony to Biblical Unitarianism"), but I found that it has republished the aforementioned article I was looking for that is referenced in BECNT Rev (by Clark Pinnock) and also has an article by Oscar Cullman, whose work I've sometimes looked up when doing research. So for those two articles alone it would be useful.

Posts 1498
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 12:42 AM

By far, for me the single most useful journal to have would be Old Testament Abstracts and New Testament Abstracts. This journal doesn't include any articles, but includes the abstract for basically all academic publications, be they books, articles, or even software publications, that have been published since the last copy of the journal came out. It is similar to Religious and Theological Abstracts, with the difference that it is focused on getting everything dealing with exegesis and Biblical theology. For searching for bibliography it is the best there is, at least for Biblical studies!

Here are the homepages:

http://catholicbiblical.org/publications/ota

http://catholicbiblical.org/publications/nta (as well as http://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/acadprog/resources/New_Testament_Abstracts.html)

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 10 2014 7:56 PM

I'd mainly like to see updates to what you used to have from Galaxie (basically the content of TJL Volume 16 forward in a new bundle), as well as updates to JBL and RBL would be great as well.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 18492
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 12 2014 10:08 PM

SineNomine:
First Things has a very wide ecumenical readership and is always looking for another income stream.

First Things is now available as part of the Master Journal Bundle.

Posts 769
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 13 2014 3:49 AM

Does anyone know why JBL's volumes before 1981 are not offered?

Posts 1752
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 14 2014 12:03 PM

Lew Worthington:

Does anyone know why JBL's volumes before 1981 are not offered?

Either we haven't licensed them yet, or source files weren't as readily available. JBL is on our list to update.

Posts 2903
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 5:57 AM

Rosie Perera:

SineNomine:

Thanks for letting me know, Rosie, but it's actually in this larger version of the Master Journal Bundle.

Posts 18492
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 7:16 AM

SineNomine:

Rosie Perera:

SineNomine:

Thanks for letting me know, Rosie, but it's actually in this larger version of the Master Journal Bundle.

Oh, thanks. I was looking at the list on the comparison spreadsheet here and didn't realize there were two version of the Master Journal Bundle. That spreadsheet only has one column for MJB and doesn't distinguish between the two versions of it.

Posts 609
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 2:37 PM

One that I don't think has been mentioned which would be invaluable would be Records of the Scottish Church History Society.

The website mentions their intention to digitise them and add them to archive.org, but having them in Logos would be far better.

Posts 609
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:01 AM

Another one I'd love to see: The Confessional Presbyterian

Posts 992
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 5:31 PM

I'd like to see Restoration Quarterly.

Posts 1674
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 4:57 AM

Mark Barnes:
The Bible Translator

Thanks for mentioning "The Bible Translator"! That one is the one I most wish to see in Logos. It's exciting to see the potential. Big Smile

Posts 609
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 1:17 PM

Mark Barnes:

106. The Expositor

So much good stuff in there and lots of names already in Logos: Denney, Forsyth, Alexander Whyte, Alexander Maclaren, Schaff, Wescott, Dods, Swete...

There's quite a full index here with links to issues that have been digitised.

Posts 1491
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 2 2016 9:37 AM

David Sloan:

I would like to see Logos add the following theological journals to their library:

• Vetus Testamentum

Yes! Yes 

Posts 8
Marco Ceccarelli | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 26 2017 2:15 AM

David Sloan:

I would like to see Logos add the following theological journals to their library:

1. New Testament Studies
  2. Novum Testamentum
  3. Vetus Testamentum
  4. Journal for the Study of the New Testament
  5. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament
  6. Catholic Biblical Quarterly
  7. Harvard Theological Review
  8. Journal of Theological Studies
  9. Zeitschrift fur die Neutestamentliche Wissenschaft
  10. Zeitschrift fur die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft
  11. Revue Biblique
  12. Estudios Eclesiasticos
  13. Scandinavian Journal of the Old Testament
  14. Journal of Early Christian Studies
  15. Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses
  16. Biblical Theology Bulletin
  17. Christian Higher Education
  18. Louvain Studies
  19. Neotestamentica
  20. HTS Teologiese Studies/Theological Studies

I agree. I would add:

- Biblica;
- Biblical Archaeology Review;
- Currents in Biblical Research;
- Journal of Theological Studies;
- Revue de Qumran.

And to update those already present.

Longing for ...

Posts 769
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 26 2017 7:05 AM

Right! These journals would radically change the way I do research more than any number of features the good people at FL are building into Logos. This is not a criticism, but just a comment on the realities of doing research. For my work, you just can't write good stuff without consulting the journals where the action is happening. So I have to consult these by hand.

However, such a collection would ultimately be massively expensive.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS