ASV appears to be missing footnotes

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 29
Matt Jarka | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 6 2014 6:37 AM

The American Standard Version (ASV) appears to be missing footnotes in Logos 5 for Mac and Logos for iOS. I do not believe its a Logos bug because footnotes correctly appear for the other translations I've checked, KJV, NKJV, NASB, and ESV for comparison. 

Mac Configuration:

• iMac with OS X Mavericks
  • Logos for Mac 5.2b SR-4 (5.2.2.1560, latest)

iPhone Configuration:

• iPhone 5S with iOS7.x, iPhone 5S with iOS 8, and also iPhone 6 with iOS 8
  • Logos iOS app (4.3.52446, latest) 
  • All translations set to display Inline Footnotes (downloaded books only, a prerequisite)
  • All translations downloaded to iPhone (a prerequisite)
Posts 23376
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:08 AM

The Logos edition of the ASV does not have footnotes.

Click the ASV's Information icon (circled "i") and compare its Support Info to mine:-

LLS:1.0.60
2014-02-12T00:47:49Z
ASV.logos4

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 29
Matt Jarka | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:36 AM

Thanks Dave; I appreciate it.  That would certainly explain what I'm seeing.  My ASV support info is an exact match with yours.  

Do you happen to know if a request has ben submitted to have the ASV footnotes included?

-Matt

Posts 23376
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 7:50 AM

I'm not aware of a request but you can check/submit a request to logosfeedback@logos.com (email) or http://logos.uservoice.com/.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5047
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 6 2014 10:33 AM

It always amazes me how many fans of the ASV there are out there. I know another Bible software company spent considerable time adding in the notes and correcting several errors that seemed to be ubiquitous in all digital copies. I am not sure if Logos is ever planning on adding the notes but at least one other Bible software has the notes so it is always possible Logos might.

-Dan

Posts 8
Patrick Brentlinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 9:56 AM

Not to raise a dead thread but this guy: https://github.com/openbibleinfo/American-Standard-Version-Bible seems to have created a digital copy with the footnotes.  Seems like Logos would have an importer that would take this format (USX) and import / merge it into the ASV.  With that done the Logos ASV edition would be complete and that would be a lovely thing indeed.

Posts 1601
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 1:11 PM

Thanks for this info, Patrick.

Patrick Brentlinger:
Seems like Logos would have an importer that would take this format (USX) and import

It always amazes me that someone would go to the considerable trouble of helping mankind with something, in this case an improved edition of a bible translation, then locking all that work up in a arcane file format that only the tiniest subset of the cognoscenti can work with. The only part of the obscurity playbook they missed was using .zip (which even we hoi polloi know how to use) to compress it, rather that the usual mysterious .rar, .tarz, .tarzan, or whatever. </rant>

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 9264
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 1:31 PM

Not to be impertenant (sp?) but the text file has a common wrapper. I didn’t try it (only scanned the code) but does Word import?

Posts 1601
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 2:01 PM

Denise:
does Word import?

Ha! Opened it up if I started Word first. Big issue: No chapter or verse numbers, footnotes aren't marked. They were probably eaten by Word:

When the game is fixed, it's fixed. Rant still stands, only add MS as a culpable party.

Posts 29
Matt Jarka | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 2:40 PM

The “Refreshed American Standard Version” @ www.rasv.org.

Posts 1601
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 5:15 PM

Thanks for the link, Matt.

Posts 8
Patrick Brentlinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 5:47 PM

Amen to that.  I actually looked to see if pandoc could handle that format.  Sadly no.  I haven't had time to dig into paratext to see if it will handle these files and give me a tool chain to get it out to docx.  But if I come up with something I will update here.

Posts 8
Patrick Brentlinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 5:59 PM

Has anyone tried http://haiola.org to convert from these file formats?  It only runs on windows and linux so I will have to see if my linux box can hack it.

Posts 1601
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 6:22 PM

Patrick:

Thanks for the link. I gave it a shot on my Win 7 machine, but both the main and alternate methods of installation failed.

Posts 878
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 5:52 PM

The Logos edition of the 1901 ASV is not only missing the footnotes, but also the preface and translators' notes. It has been almost exactly a year since Kyle Anderson said he was "looking into getting the prefatory material added." I have not heard any updates since then and don't know whether Faithlife intends to improve their ASV text or not.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS