Logos 5 Massive Update Question

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 78
Rob | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 14 2014 3:49 PM

Hi

Will this new upcoming update be the 5.3 version that requires Mac users to upgrade to Mavericks? 

Thanks

Posts 24889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 5:43 PM

Not sure what you mean by "the massive update" but Logos 5.3 will require Mavericks or higher for Mac users as per http://community.logos.com/forums/t/80475.aspx 

Posts 173
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 5:55 PM

Graham Criddle:

Not sure what you mean by "the massive update" but Logos 5.3 will require Mavericks or higher for Mac users as per http://community.logos.com/forums/t/80475.aspx 

This massive update.

Logos 5 Update: Smart Selection

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 6:14 PM

Sigh.  Looks like I'll need to update on Oct 25 to catch the Hebrew Discourse and avoid the 'massive update'.

I feel like I'm on a game show in Japan .... as the target.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 9:59 PM

SHHH you're on quiet library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHDwEoJYN0

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 32949
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 11:34 PM

Denise:

avoid the 'massive update'.

While I know you know what you are doing Denise, for others I feel a need to clarify that one can postpone (but generally not avoid) updates with impunity.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 32949
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 14 2014 11:37 PM

Robert Perron:

Will this new upcoming update be the 5.3 version that requires Mac users to upgrade to Mavericks? 

The "massive update" is an update of resources to use a feature already in the software. As for the 5.3 update - I know nothing as I'm not a Mac user

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:32 AM

What is needed in a case like this is that L5 should automatically "reboot" after the download is complete in order to commence the indexing. Perhaps a menu choice in "Program Settings" would provide that for those who would rather choose the time to index?

And, BTW, what does LOGOS mean by "Late on Sunday, October 26..."?? "Late" to me is 9:00p.m. here on the "right coast". Big Smile  Another reason to have the option for an auto-reboot.

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:34 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
What is needed in a case like this is that L5 should automatically "reboot" after the download is complete in order to commence the indexing.

I second the motion. Download and forget it.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:35 AM

Put a warning message similar to what I get in windows. This software will restart in .... minutes. Click here to delay it by 10, 20, 1 hour. etc..

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 24889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:38 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
And, BTW, what does LOGOS mean by "Late on Sunday, October 26..."?? "Late" to me is 9:00p.m. here on the "right coast". Big Smile

The best hint I have seen is at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/92045/639066.aspx#639066 

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:52 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
What is needed in a case like this is that L5 should automatically "reboot" after the download is complete in order to commence the indexing.

As I suggested in another thread (don't have it handy), Logos should get rid of the need to "reboot" at all when resources are added. I don't need to restart my Kindle app when I add new books. I don't need to restart SQL Server when I insert 1,000 new rows (or any number). The newly-added and/or updated resources are merely data. Just make it work.

My $.02 ...

Donnie

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 7:47 AM

Donnie Hale:
As I suggested in another thread (don't have it handy), Logos should get rid of the need to "reboot" at all when resources are added.
I believe this is on their radar.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:04 AM

Broken Heart

Posts 24889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:12 AM

Anthony H:
Will this be an "always on feature"?

Controlling whether Smart Text Selection is enabled or not is done via Program Settings.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:14 AM

Broken Heart

Posts 1660
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:45 AM

Graham Criddle:
Controlling whether Smart Text Selection is enabled or not is done via Program Settings.

I've NEVER liked this option in Word! I choose letter-by-letter with my mouse.

This feature was designed  for those with Smart Phones.

Hopefully, for those of us who are worried about "bloat" or the frequently "non-responding" pizza wheel -- If we keep the setting on "NO" --  will that help prevent the lag time? [And before one of you tell me to buy a SSD--I would love one of those marvelous devices but at this point finances prevent this option].

Regards, SteveF

Posts 24889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 9:12 AM

SteveF:

I don't understand this comment - you can't run Logos 5 on Smart Phones??

Posts 1142
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 10:07 AM

To answer the original question, Bradley says that "All these resources are fully compatible with 5.2b SR-5, so 5.3 isn't necessary."

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/92077.aspx

Posts 29593
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 10:21 AM

Graham Criddle:

SteveF:

I don't understand this comment - you can't run Logos 5 on Smart Phones??

I have this featured turned off and I don't really like it... Let me throw my MSFT loving friends a bone: If Logos were to be working on more "touch screen" friendly UI elements for devices such as the Surface Pro, I would think users would want this. 

I agree with you Graham. I don't have any idea where Steve came up with the smart phone thing.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS