Logos 5 Massive Update Question

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1660
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 10:30 AM

alabama24:
I don't have any idea where Steve came up with the smart phone thing.

"Bob" said in the Forums that adding Microsoft Word type "Smart" text selection into Logos was ultimately designed for those using "i-phones" etc in order for them to more easily "select" text [because these phones do not have mice to aide the selection process].

Regards, SteveF

Posts 29612
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 10:37 AM

SteveF:

alabama24:
I don't have any idea where Steve came up with the smart phone thing.

"Bob" said in the Forums that adding Microsoft Word type "Smart" text selection into Logos was ultimately designed for those using "i-phones" etc in order for them to more easily "select" text [because these phones do not have mice to aide the selection process].

Curious, because the feature isn't available on mobile. It does apply, however, to DESKTOP products such as the Surface Pro.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 10:38 AM

I'm probably the only forum person that reads routinely on my iPod Touch and I can highlight with wild abandon.  Ditto my iPad.  Maybe it's for Logos5 iWatch?

Plus I've been highlighting on my Logos5 with a touchscreen for literally years.  The issue there is ... whether you're highlighting or moving.  If I remember right (see above paragraph), the Logos iOS guys figured that out a while back.

I think we're looking at an important feature looking for a user.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 11:01 AM

Denise:
I'm probably the only forum person that reads routinely on my iPod Touch and I can highlight with wild abandon.  Ditto my iPad.

I'm much the same, though it's an Android phone. On my iPad, I much prefer character-by-character selection, which works great in the Logos app, especially as opposed to in Kindle where it's *only* word-by-word. It's not quite so easy on the Android phone, but still works when my finger can grab the selection handle. ;)

Does anyone know if Logos / Bradley ever explained why whitespace (0x20, \t, \r, \n, etc.) wasn't sufficient to allow smart selection? I'm sure there's a reasonable technical explanation in the context of Logos (versus, e.g. Word, which certainly relies on whitespace). I'm just curious as to what it is.

Donnie

Posts 26813
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:48 PM

Donnie Hale:
Does anyone know if Logos / Bradley ever explained why whitespace (0x20, \t, \r, \n, etc.) wasn't sufficient to allow smart selection?

That might work OK for a sentence, but the blog explains that Smart Selection goes beyond simple selection "to detecting the words, clauses, sentences, and paragraphs that you show the intention of selecting.". Which means that the boundaries of clauses ("logical phrases") and paragraphs have to be marked unambiguously, and sentences may also be 'marked'. Thereafter, the software can predict the likely selection much faster than anybody can drag!

So there's no performance hit and Smart Selection can be turned off. Now there will be a benefit for Resource Discovery, which can take a considerable time after a large resource download as it analyses the resources prior to indexing. Now Bradley (I think it was him) didn't explain further, but the search engine uses "articles" as the boundaries for a query i.e. find a match within a verse, header or chapter; and this natural division causes problems if the "article" is too big. But not if Smart Selection provides the "article" markers!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9138
LogosEmployee

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:
What is needed in a case like this is that L5 should automatically "reboot" after the download is complete in order to commence the indexing.

Logos doesn't currently have this feature. (We know it's a popular suggestion.)

In the meantime, you can almost get this by exiting Logos as soon as the download starts.

The indexer will keep running in the background; it will finish downloading the resources, prepare your library, then index them. In the morning, start Logos again and you'll be ready to go.

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:14 PM

Bradley, thanX!! for the reminder. I'll keep a weather eye out for the event.

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 1136
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 16 2014 4:25 PM

I think smart selection is a great feature. I really look forward to it. Thanks, Bradley, for implementing it and for even providing an easy way to disable it temporarily with the Alt / Option key. Great job!

Armin

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS