BHS Sympathetic Highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 93
Brent Gay | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 8 2010 6:45 PM

I have the ESV opened up in the left pane with sympathetic highlighting turned on. In the right pane I have BHS opened up. I notice that if I have the BHS: Westminster 4.0 Morphology or the BHS: Morphologically Tagged Edition opened up, the sympathetic highlighting option is not available. BHS: Westminster 4.2 Morphology does give me the option along with the Anderson Forbes and the Lexham Interlinear.

I have a feeling this is because of the underlying morphology, but can someone please advise me why sympathetic highlighting is only available for certain morphologies? I would think that since all of the above mentioned texts are morphologically tagged that the option would be available.

Thanks,

Brent

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 6:59 PM

Westminster 3.5, 4.0 and BHS: Morphologically Tagged utilized the old Libronix key linking systems. This system was plagued with problems because Hebrew has many homonyms (words with the same three letter consonant roots but are actually different words). Odds were that right clicking on a word would take you to the wrong place in a lexicon. Westminster 4.2 differentiated between these homonyms, providing accurate lemmas for each word. 4.2's morphology is more specific than the previous ones, this allows it to be linked to the reverse interlinear like the ESV, and to work accurately with lexicons. Unless you have notes attached to Westminster 4.0 or BHS: Morph tagged I would recommend hiding them and exclusively using 4.2 or WIVU.Interesting fact, Logos considered making these older Hebrew texts unusable in Logos 4 but didn't in case users had lots of old notes attached to them.

Posts 93
Brent Gay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 7:05 PM

Kevin,

Excellent response! I was unaware of the problems with the other morphologies; that makes perfect sense. I will take your advice and hide the others as I do not have anything linked to them. Thanks again!

Brent

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 8:08 PM

Thanks for this Kevin. I certainly had never had this explained before.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 73
Tom Bartzsch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:57 AM

Thank you Kevin - I didn't think I needed multiple BHS editions, but figured they were there for a reason.

They were - but the reason didn't apply to me!

Off to hide things!

Tom

1 Cor 2:2

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 6:00 PM

Kevin, I was wondering if you could comment on the difference between the WIVU and the Westminster 4.2.  Or sice we get the WIVU with one of the base packages is there reason to buy the 4.2 edition?  I have a first year Hebrew class for the next two semesters that requires the Biblica Hebraica Stuttgartensia, 5th ed. by K. Elliger, and K & W. Rudolph

More elementary question:
Is the BHS the same each with a different morphology or are there different BHS's floating around as well? 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 6:11 PM

Paul:

Kevin, I was wondering if you could comment on the difference between the WIVU and the Westminster 4.2.  Or sice we get the WIVU with one of the base packages is there reason to buy the 4.2 edition?  I have a first year Hebrew class for the next two semesters that requires the Biblica Hebraica Stuttgartensia, 5th ed. by K. Elliger, and K & W. Rudolph

More elementary question:
Is the BHS the same each with a different morphology or are there different BHS's floating around as well? 

The text of the various BHSs are the same. What differs is the Morphological tagging. For example, the way that Westminster 4.2 and WIVU handles Jussive is very different between the two morphologies. It reflects the different linguistic philosophy of the various morphology editors.

The BHS that came with your base package should be more than adequate for your Hebrew class. One word of warning. The BHS that came with your base package does not have the critical apparatus. You will have to buy the SESB or the SESB for Logos Users to get the Apparatus.

Finally, as you learn Hebrew don't look at the morphological tags if you can at all help it. You'll stunt your ability to remember all the forms correctly!

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:16 AM

Paul:
I have a first year Hebrew class for the next two semesters that requires the Biblica Hebraica Stuttgartensia, 5th ed. by K. Elliger, and K & W. Rudolph

I think you mean the 4th edition. The fifth is in preparation and has different editors.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 23 2010 3:19 AM

Kevin Becker:
What differs is the Morphological tagging. For example, the way that Westminster 4.2 and WIVU handles Jussive is very different between the two morphologies. It reflects the different linguistic philosophy of the various morphology editors.

I recently discovered that even the lemmas are sometimes different. WIVU tends to follow HALOT more closely. See מלתעות for instance. Westminster seems more conservative.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS