Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3305
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 17 2014 8:27 AM

Can someone explain to me why people still use libronix and what some advantages would be for it?  I'm primarily curious for people who are doing it for reasons other than they have older hardware.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 9:13 AM

I'd suspect if there's a hundred Bible study-ers in the room, there'd be 101 opinions.  Everyone is different.  My attachment to Libronix is no different than our attachment to our 2001 Eurovan, my 1989 Pfaff sewing machine, and 1952 Featherweight.  Each does something that didn't get carried forward in new models.  Yesterday, we bought a fairly expensive new car based on a suspicion, and then came back home to see what we bought (researching the internet).  Turned out, we were correct (thank goodness).  We'll likely keep the car for a decade or so, as a result.

That's why I'm fascinated with Logosian emotions about Logos vs Libronix.  And this among Christians too.  

I keep Libronix for two main reasons:

(1) Most of my software and synths is written to XP and earlier.  And indeed I'm not among the few. XP and Win95/98 were nice platforms.   Libronix itself is a comfortable read.  A lot of little features that didn't get carried forward to Logos.  Important?  Probably not for most people.

(2) Any religious company is going to be a problem eventually.  And so I prefer to keep an alternative available.  And yes, Logos is religious.  Just not my version.  And I'm not implying mine is better.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3305
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 9:42 AM

What were some of those features?  I have L3 on my machine but have done nothing more than sync the licenses.

How to upload logs

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 9:57 AM

David Taylor Jr:

What were some of those features?  I have L3 on my machine but have done nothing more than sync the licenses.

I think there was at least one thread about what L3/Libronix was still doing better than L4/5 at that time - maybe even more than one.Ggoogle with site:community.logos.com for it and if you find it you will see some of those explained (got to run right now, so cxan't help you with a direct link) 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 10:42 AM

David Taylor Jr:
What were some of those features?

• It could only search one resource at a time, so you had plenty of time to stretch your legs and go for a nice stroll around the neighbourhood if you wanted to search your entire library.
  • Bible Word Study's Translation graph made full use of your entire screen, so you could feel that buying the 27" monitor was "worth it": http://community.logos.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/75/4263.Capture2.JPG 
  • Reverse Interlinears only supported "Inline Display", so you didn't have to wrestle with the decision of whether to use the ribbon at the bottom or not. Plus, there were only three of them (2 NT, 1 OT) so you weren't burdened with having to pick a preferred translation.
  • Every time Microsoft released a new version of Internet Explorer, it would stop working.
  • ... and many more. Big Smile
Posts 3305
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 10:53 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

David Taylor Jr:

• It could only search one resource at a time, so you had plenty of time to stretch your legs and go for a nice stroll around the neighbourhood if you wanted to search your entire library.
  • Bible Word Study's Translation graph made full use of your entire screen, so you could feel that buying the 27" monitor was "worth it": http://community.logos.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/75/4263.Capture2.JPG 
  • Reverse Interlinears only supported "Inline Display", so you didn't have to wrestle with the decision of whether to use the ribbon at the bottom or not. Plus, there were only three of them (2 NT, 1 OT) so you weren't burdened with having to pick a preferred translation.
  • Every time Microsoft released a new version of Internet Explorer, it would stop working.
  • ... and many more. Big Smile

Bradley I got a good chuckle out of this.  Big Smile   For the record, I love L5 I am just curious because I keep hearing people talk about "the good ole days."

How to upload logs

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 11:13 AM

Can't say as I use the 'ribbon' (touch screen, you know). And most of my searches are indeed in the same resource (our neighbourhood is one street).  Plus I never experienced the dead software with Microsoft IE version problem ... only Libronix.   Hi, Bradley!

But less seriously,  I use Libronix almost daily for reading at lunch.  I've always like the font/contrast/etc.  In L5, I have a windows panel filled with books I should be reading.  I think they've been there unchanged for about 3 years now.  Now, on my iPad the situation is reversed.  The Logos app is easier than the Kindle (reading).  It's easy to demonstrate, when you bring both up during app switching.  So my reading is on the Logos app (iPad) and Libronix (PC).  Research on L5.

Plus I like the ability to line all my Libronix layouts across the top.  I read across 10-15 subjects and keep a layout for each (eg Pseudepigraph, Targums, Ugartic and so forth).  I like 'seeing' what I've got waiting for me.   I like layout handling (load/save) better than L5.  Logos/Proclaim of course likes 'new'. That said, Libronix layouts are pretty out-of-control (big downside).

Working with searches in Libronix is a lot easier (copying, paging, arrowing).  Logos still has a ways to go on it's search panel (ironic, given that was it's claim to fame at the start).  Quite often, I 'find' on L5 and then 'use' on Libronix.  Kind of nutty.

Selecting what I wanted downloaded was good (confusing for Bob, as I understand, but not Amazon). All past tense; I buy bits and pieces from Logos now that Libronix resources are locked up.

As you can see, nothing here that would cause anyone to 'buy Libronix'.  But I doubt I'd find a buyer for my Pfaff either.  We do get a lot of offers on the Eurovan, though.  A lady at Arches National Park thought it was new.  People are interesting.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1868
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 1:04 PM

I found myself having to recreate a morphological search that I originally did in Libronix 3, and found it harder to do, actually in Logos 5 - at least from the Morph search dialog.  (It was trivial to find it in a Bible Word Study though)

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 1:44 PM

I miss "fuzzy search" but I haven't booted up Libronix in months. I still keep it installed on my machine just in case I want to look up how something used to work, but really I care very little about it anymore.

I also think the model of having a dialog box to help you build up complex search syntax was a good one. I like that power users can type in the code-like search strings themselves, but there are many users for whom that is overwhelming, and even us power users forget the syntax once in a while and would like a GUI way of doing it. If Logos's search syntax continues to add more options, it is only going to get more necessary that there be some visual way to access it.

Libronix used to let users create their own custom timelines, and that feature has never been implemented in Logos 4 or later. It would be nice to have that back again, though admittedly I don't go back to Libronix for it as I haven't had need of it lately. However maybe if I had it I would find reasons to use it, if it were cool.

Other features that people have mentioned missing are the Weights & Measures tool and vowel sensitive Hebrew searching.

Here's a thread where people were listing their favorite things about Libronix that were missing in Logos 4. Many of those have now been implemented in Logos 5, but a few are perhaps not adequate compared to the way they used to work. I think Sermon File is one of those, however I was not a heavy user of it so I'm not sure. Logos created a way for users to the same sort of thing using Personal Books, but I think the Sermon File feature was more specifically customized for creating a library of your own sermons, so it might still be good to bring something like that back. I'm sure David Paul still misses the forward and back buttons in History.

Posts 2399
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:33 PM

I sometimes use it on an older computer admittedly, but that is not the full reason.  Somehow it just has its "boots on the ground." Does that make sense?  It just feels solid, reliable, predictable, and maybe old fashioned enough, that like anything old fashioned, its seems better than new fangled.  

I am a solid L5 user 99.83201% of the time and love it.  But I love it differently than Libronix.  L5 works marvelously and I wouldn't think of going back, but when I use it, I am always a bit suspicious of something, sort of as if I am on a space-age unicycle that might flop over on me at any moment.  I don't only love Libronix, I also like it.

Posts 51
David E Haeuser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:57 PM

I doubt many people will need this feature anymore, but a couple months ago I had to install Libronix on my Windows 8 machine (with only partial success) because I had found a Word doc file that I had made long ago with the Hebrew and Greek in the old non unicode fonts that Logos used at one time. Libronix had a handy tool to replace those obsolete fonts with unicode Hebrew and Greek so that I could do the replacement fonts, save as a docx file, and import into my Logos 5 as a personal book.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 17 2014 8:46 PM

One more thing: if you own any old pre-Libronix (Logos 2) resources on CD that are no longer sold by Logos, the only way to carry those forward onto a new machine is to install them from CD into Libronix and sync licenses in Libronix, and then they should download automatically into Logos 5.

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 2:49 PM

David Taylor Jr:
I have L3 on my machine but have done nothing more than sync the licenses.

Does it work now? What OS?

David Taylor Jr:

Wildcard * searches actually worked without having to walk around the block with L5!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 19 2014 4:43 PM

With Libronix 3.0g/Logos 3, it's VERY easy to choose one Bible for the New Testament (NRSV) -which comes with Reverse Interlinear, but if You just want to look at a couple of verses hover the mouse over the reference and it displays without the Greek. And to choose a different version for the Old Testament - I have it currently set to the NJB just to get some use out of that version (have different settings - REB for most of the Bible, in L5) and since it's a version which is only mildly gender-neutral. The problem with L5 is that it consumes monitor space in the prioritization column in the Library window to have different versions for each testament on each installation/computer and the syncing is annoying. So put simply: extra installations allow me to use more Bible versions fast. I know of only one set in which there's a shortcut to the NRSV by hover-with-over-a-reference: the Hermeneia commentaries - but I'm selling most (63 vols.) of my Hermeneia/Continental commentaries since I've duplicated the OT in Accordance when it was on a sale there over two years after I bought my Logos Edition.

Also, some things use more monitor space in L3, which is a positive thing. (Despite that I don't have anything but tiny monitors, instead I use my computers side-by-side.)

Selecting devotionals is made very easy.

It takes FAR LESS space on the hybrid drive/SSD. This is also because normal text is not unicode. That means less wear and a chance of utilizing the hybrid drive better. (SSDs are pretty expensive at the moment, especially over here for example.)

More pre-configured buttons at the top. I'm not familiar enough with the software yet to configure custom buttons in L4 (which I only have in a virtual machine on one computer)/L5.

Fairly easy to, from within the software, to have a look at what books I've returned without the need to start an internet connection. Usually when I need to re-purchase something I'm in a hurry.

Different start-up melody than L4/L5, which is a bonus as I don't like music and get tired of hearing the same tunes every time.

Can have different fonts set, compared to L5, that way it's more like having different books, it's sometimes tedious to read the same fonts all the time.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 3305
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 20 2014 5:17 AM

Dave Hooton:

David Taylor Jr:
I have L3 on my machine but have done nothing more than sync the licenses.

Does it work now? What OS?

David Taylor Jr:

Wildcard * searches actually worked without having to walk around the block with L5!

Nope, I opened L3 up Friday and no longer connects to the internet.

How to upload logs

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 20 2014 1:00 PM

Unix:
Different start-up melody than L4/L5, which is a bonus as I don't like music and get tired of hearing the same tunes every time.

Did you know that you can disable the startup melody in both Libronix and L4/L5? I don't like startup tunes at all and have always turned them off (for Windows too).

Posts 1691
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 20 2014 1:13 PM

I use Libronix because of the WIVU constituency trees.

1.5 years ago I changed to a new computer with Win8 and it took some time to get it to work there, the Logos user support did their best and the some of the second mile Smile

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 1:28 AM

It may not have a Reverse Interlinear, and never will have in L3, but the NABRE is available in Libronix! About the version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_American_Bible_Revised_Edition#Scriptural_sources ... it uses for example the Qumran Cave 4 finds, which very few other English Bible versions use up to date.

... ordered now with the spare account for the friend I just found who will research together with me. I have this version myself on paper, large type bound by Oxford, since 3 years:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Do You have to have the entire SESB 3 to make that work?:

Veli Voipio:
I use Libronix because of the WIVU constituency trees.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS