New Feature: Books.Logos.com

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 9097
LogosEmployee

abondservant:

It does show in the library, on the right shows whats searchable. but to be honest, I had a hard time finding it in the search results. I searched for a phrase, NEAR a word, and it brought up a handful of results, but none from this title. It may be my searching skills.

The search results in these resources are powered by OCR (with zero manual review of the results). The quality of the original page scan will affect OCR accuracy, which will in turn affect search results.

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:09 AM

Mine still is not downloading the books....

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 7
Steve Hurd (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:11 AM

It appears that books.logos.com is displaying the "Send to Desktop" button for books that haven't been uploaded yet.  I would expect this to be the problem you are seeing.  I would also expect the resource to show up as soon as it's available.

Can you point me to the book you're trying to download?

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:18 AM

I'm not sure which one (yeah that is bad I know) I was trying to use the feature to get a feel for it, but I don't see where the site tracks what books you have selected either. Can you tell me a title that IS available so I can test it to make sure it works?  That would be great.

How to upload logs

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:22 AM

what sort of functionality is available with the book once they are in the desktop app. Can you select text, highlight, copy, paste or add selections to note, etc.? Or are these books just image files with limited OCR?

Posts 7
Steve Hurd (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:26 AM

David Taylor Jr:

I'm not sure which one (yeah that is bad I know) I was trying to use the feature to get a feel for it, but I don't see where the site tracks what books you have selected either. Can you tell me a title that IS available so I can test it to make sure it works?  That would be great.

I agree, being able to see which books you've added to your desktop library would be a good idea.  Any of the books listed in the popular books section on the main books.logos.com page should be available.  All the books should be available soon so I'm hoping this is a very short-lived problem.

Posts 7
Steve Hurd (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:39 AM

Anthony H:

what sort of functionality is available with the book once they are in the desktop app. Can you select text, highlight, copy, paste or add selections to note, etc.? Or are these books just image files with limited OCR?

These books are just image files with limited OCR backing them to enable searching capabilities and Bible reference detection.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:40 AM

Steve Hurd:

Both now say "Sent to Logos Desktop".

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 8:50 AM

Steve Hurd:

David Taylor Jr:

I agree, being able to see which books you've added to your desktop library would be a good idea.  Any of the books listed in the popular books section on the main books.logos.com page should be available.  All the books should be available soon so I'm hoping this is a very short-lived problem.

Excellent, I'll try it out when I get home and get back to you.  Thanks!

How to upload logs

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:09 AM

Steve Hurd:

Anthony H:

These books are just image files with limited OCR backing them to enable searching capabilities and Bible reference detection.

Thanks. Big Smile

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:15 AM

Incidentally, while you're here, it would be helpful to make it more obvious how to the front of a book in one click - either through clicking on the title, or perhaps via additional navigation arrows. I know you've got the helpful navigation at the side, but because of Google Books, that's not where I look.

Posts 3054
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:22 AM

Jonathan J Watson:
A 2-year subscription to Books.Logos.com comes with Feature Crossgrade and higher, and Gold level base packages and higher. 

Looks to me like they have integrated a marketing scheme into the functional software.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 7
Steve Hurd (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:27 AM

Mark Barnes:

Steve Hurd:

Both now say "Sent to Logos Desktop".

Thank you Mark, I can confirm that neither of those books have been uploaded yet.  I'm working on a fix that will remove the button for any books not yet uploaded.  I apologize for this issue and any confusion it has caused.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:13 PM

1. The first book I tried to download from the website didn't work. Second time I used the new Search Everything and selected the book from the results; it arrived after a few minutes in the same way as a resource update.

2. A Fit Width option is needed to make these resources easily readable in Logos 6.

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:32 PM

Doc B:

Jonathan J Watson:
A 2-year subscription to Books.Logos.com comes with Feature Crossgrade and higher, and Gold level base packages and higher. 

Looks to me like they have integrated a marketing scheme into the functional software.

Why do you say that?

How to upload logs

Posts 3054
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:18 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Doc B:

Jonathan J Watson:

Why do you say that?

A search engine to find needed data is nice. A search engine to data for sale on a retail site is a bit different (kinda smacks of the 'in-app purchase' scenario that Apple foisted). If Logos is going to help me find what I need, that's great. If they are going to return hits in resources I don't own so they can market those resources to me, I have a problem with that as a strategy (esp. if they've sold me a large base package but left out some key resources to sell separately...and yes, that's happened).

The latter is what this appears to me to be, on the surface  w/o having tried it.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 2:24 PM

Doc B:
A search engine to find needed data is nice. A search engine to data for sale on a retail site is a bit different (kinda smacks of the 'in-app purchase' scenario that Apple foisted). If Logos is going to help me find what I need, that's great. If they are going to return hits in resources I don't own so they can market those resources to me, I have a problem with that as a strategy (esp. if they've sold me a large base package but left out some key resources to sell separately...and yes, that's happened).

You're misunderstanding the feature (and perhaps confusing it with the Bookstore section of the passage guide). Books.logos.com allows Logos 6 users to search and download — for free — public domain books that Logos has scanned and OCRd (but not yet made into proper resources).

Posts 3054
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:14 PM

Mark Barnes:
search and download — for free — public domain books

That would be nice. But there's a "subscription", and one Logos employee has already stated there will be a cost after the two years is up (no amount was quoted). That's where the rub is, and on that information I formed my opinion.

Posts 1083
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:16 PM

Doc B:

Mark Barnes:

That would be nice. But there's a "subscription", and one Logos employee has already stated there will be a cost after the two years is up (no amount was quoted). That's where the rub is, and on that information I formed my opinion.

I'll have a feeling one of a few things will happen:

1) They'll go away from the subscription model, as they seem to have done with the FSB

2) They'll offer a "free" subscription to base package owners of a certain level (like Portfolio+)

3) They'll come out with L7 quickly enough that you'll crossgrade somehow and the "subscription" will stay invisible to you

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 3:39 PM

William Gabriel:

Doc B:

Mark Barnes:

I'll have a feeling one of a few things will happen:

1) They'll go away from the subscription model, as they seem to have done with the FSB

2) They'll offer a "free" subscription to base package owners of a certain level (like Portfolio+)

3) They'll come out with L7 quickly enough that you'll crossgrade somehow and the "subscription" will stay invisible to you

That was my thinking as well, with 3 seeming to be the most likely in my mind.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS