Updated Feature: Notes

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15
LogosEmployee
Todd Bishop | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 24 2014 4:39 PM

What is it?

The updated notes feature now offers spellchecking, allows you to attach a single note to multiple references across the Bible, add tags to notes, and also allows you to add a note to data like Greek lemmas.

How does it work?

• Spell checking can be turned on via Program Settings, by toggling “Check Spelling While Typing” to Yes.
  • The language can be changed for your current selection via the Globe icon in the Rich Text toolbar.
  • Right-clicking a misspelled word will suggest correct spellings, or you can add the selected word to the current language’s dictionary.

Added Quotes view for Notes, which shows the resource content of long highlights, grouped by resource.
Notes now support multiple attachment points:

• Attachment points can be added by clicking the arrow next to the Note, and selecting “Edit attachment points”
  • This method allows you to select points by entering a reference, or by selecting text and clicking “Attach to current selection”
  • Notes can be attached to lemmas, people, etc.

Tags can be added to a note by clicking the arrow next to the note and selecting "Add tag".

How do I get it?

Notes is available in all Crossgrades and all Base Package levels

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:19 AM

Thanks for the spell check!! Been waiting for this.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:21 AM

Call me crazy, but this might actually be the best new feature in L6!  I have wanted spell check for years!

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:23 AM

David Taylor Jr:
I have wanted spell check for years!

I agree that this is very useful.

Also check out the ability to attach notes to multiple verses (via multiple attachments).

For years, I have found myself replicating notes wholesale (where a comment applies to a number of verses). With this feature, we can attach a single note to multiple places. 

And the spelling is bang on. Big Smile

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:51 AM

How does Highlighting work? Does it still do the crazy attach to palette note thing or choose another note per palette?

I find that so annoying. I want to highlight and not be tied down to a note or have to think about it.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:56 AM

Geo Philips:

How does Highlighting work? Does it still do the crazy attach to palette note thing or choose another note per palette?

I find that so annoying. I want to highlight and not be tied down to a note or have to think about it.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 4
LogosEmployee
Kamira Rea | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:58 AM

Geo Philips:
How does Highlighting work?

No change to highlighting, still works as it did in Logos 5.

Posts 15
LogosEmployee
Todd Bishop | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:04 AM

Highlighting functions the same way in L6, showing up in the visual filter menu under notes and are sharable documents. In addition, we've created a new highlighting system called label entry, which allows you to mark your text with rich metadata that is also searchable. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92624.aspx

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:29 PM

Todd Bishop:

Notes now support multiple attachment points:

• Attachment points can be added by clicking the arrow next to the Note, and selecting “Edit attachment points”
  • This method allows you to select points by entering a reference, or by selecting text and clicking “Attach to current selection”

Since I can't study the packages or explore the software, let me ask about this instead (which I am very happy about, btw). 

The probably most common reason for me to want a note attached to several Bible verses is when there are Synoptic or other parallels. An intelligent comment on Matthew does me no good if I'm reading the same pericope in Mark or Luke. Thus:

• Where I have already made separate but identical notes for each parallel, what will be the easiest way to transform them into one multi-attached note?

• For the future, may I suggest you include an option that automatically suggests parallels and lets us check the ones we want to attach the note to.

• An option that automatically attaches the note to all verses mentioned in the note would also be very useful, as would an option that attaches it to all verses in a particular Passage List.

• Can this be used to change a Selection note to a Reference note? 

Todd Bishop:
Notes can be attached to lemmas, people, etc.

• Here I would like the option to automatically attach it to a particular lemma or person in all verses found in a PL or a Search. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:55 PM

fgh:
Where I have already made separate but identical notes for each parallel, what will be the easiest way to transform them into one multi-attached note

Sorry, you'll have to open each one, merge them into one, and then edit the attachment points.  The last part of which is incredibly simple.  They did a good job on this.  The hard part is de-duplicating your notes.

fgh:
Can this be used to change a Selection note to a Reference note? 

Yes you can right click on a highlight, select "Open annotations", then add an attachment point, insert a note indicator in the process and you're golden. 

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 3:05 PM

fgh:
• Where I have already made separate but identical notes for each parallel, what will be the easiest way to transform them into one multi-attached note?

Delete all but one, then attach it to all the multiple points.

In the following example, I have one note I want to attach to "in the beginning" in Ge 1:1 and Jn 1:1. Let's say I had a doppelganger at Jn 1:1 that first deleted. Now, on the remaining Ge 1:1, I use the "Edit attachment points" command in the pull-down menu that appears in the upper-right corner of a note on hover.

Then, since I want to attach this note to another selection, I navigate to Jn 1:1, make that selection and choose "Attach to current selection."

If you're attaching to several selections, you can leave the note in 'edit attachments' mode and attach as many selections/references as you need, then hit "Done."

fgh:
• Can this be used to change a Selection note to a Reference note? 

Yes, or both..

fgh:

• For the future, may I suggest you include an option that automatically suggests parallels and lets us check the ones we want to attach the note to.

• An option that automatically attaches the note to all verses mentioned in the note would also be very useful, as would an option that attaches it to all verses in a particular Passage List

• Here I would like the option to automatically attach it to a particular lemma or person in all verses found in a PL or a Search. 

Good suggestions, all. I've logged them for future consideration.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 3:52 PM

Thanks. And I'm happy for those people who come to the forums wondering why their hundreds of notes don't show up in all Bibles. At least now we'll have something slightly better to tell them than "You'll have to remake all of them". 

On that note (pun intended): please tell me that you've finally made click>shift-click and click>Cmd-click work in note files, so that one can move or change multiple notes at once?

I'm also wondering about

Todd Bishop:
The language can be changed for your current selection via the Globe icon in the Rich Text toolbar.

I don't care so much about the spell-check, but does this mean that I can use English Bible abbreviations in English notes, and Swedish Bible abbreviations in Swedish notes, and get auto-links for both, even if they are in the same note file?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 576
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 4:13 PM

fgh:

I don't care so much about the spell-check, but does this mean that I can use English Bible abbreviations in English notes, and Swedish Bible abbreviations in Swedish notes, and get auto-links for both, even if they are in the same note file?

That's a great suggestion. But no, that is not currently possible.

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:17 PM

I hit the maximum limit of highlights that Logos 5 could handle per note file, and have been struggling ever since, having to generate more and more note files...without any management tools to automatically fragment those larger old files.  If it wasn't for a server mod that Bradley did, I wouldn't even be able to sync Logos 5 anymore.  A related issue is the mobile app (iOS) can't handle these large files, and it just crashes as it tries to load them.

I say all that to ask: Has Logos 6 "fixed" this problem?  

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:39 PM

Ward Walker:

I hit the maximum limit of highlights that Logos 5 could handle per note file, and have been struggling ever since, having to generate more and more note files...without any management tools to automatically fragment those larger old files.  If it wasn't for a server mod that Bradley did, I wouldn't even be able to sync Logos 5 anymore.  A related issue is the mobile app (iOS) can't handle these large files, and it just crashes as it tries to load them.

I say all that to ask: Has Logos 6 "fixed" this problem?  

Logos may I suggest you add the book, "How to Read a Book". Ware seems to need help on how to effectively highlight and take notes on what he reads.Big Smile

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 10:13 AM

Can I export the full quoted highlight? I see where I can view them. But when I try to export, they are truncated?

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 12:48 PM

fgh:
On that note (pun intended): please tell me that you've finally made click>shift-click and click>Cmd-click work in note files, so that one can move or change multiple notes at once?

I wish. We imagined some bulk-editing designs that would have required a more extensive reworking than we were able to bite off and chew this time around.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 10:45 PM

fgh:
For the future, may I suggest you include an option that automatically suggests parallels and lets us check the ones we want to attach the note to

awesome idea!

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 10:54 PM

Hey Eli,

Can we also add underline feature into the Notes?

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 10:58 PM

mike:

Can we also add underline feature into the Notes?

Ctrl-u

Don't know why there's no button.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS