Compare actual Logos 3 library w actual Logos 4 library on new drive

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Curt Brunk | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:39 PM

I want  to compare the actual library I have on an older hard drive for Logos 3 with what's on the actual library I have on a new drive for Logos 4, i.e. I installed Windows 7on a new hard drive and so did a clean install of Logos 4. On my old drive I have the library that I used for Logos 3 which included books from the Nelson collections such as the Jack Hayford set. Logos 3 picked these up, Logos 4 does not. I just want to see what books I'll be missing if I don't install Logos 3 on my new hard drive.

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:49 PM

PCurtisBrunk:

I want  to compare the actual library I have on an older hard drive for Logos 3 with what's on the actual library I have on a new drive for Logos 4, i.e. I installed Windows 7on a new hard drive and so did a clean install of Logos 4. On my old drive I have the library that I used for Logos 3 which included books from the Nelson collections such as the Jack Hayford set. Logos 3 picked these up, Logos 4 does not. I just want to see what books I'll be missing if I don't install Logos 3 on my new hard drive.

Curtis,

If you have synced all your L3 licences to the server in L3 (Tools - Library Management - Sync Licences -- I think) those Nelson books should be there, unless I'm not understanding things correctly.

You can use a program like  Winmerge - freeware available through winmerge.org to compare files or directories.

Chris

Posts 9
Curt Brunk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 4:40 PM

Because many of my books came from Thomas Nelson, they do not have the normal L3 licences. I was told by tech suppor that they would not be useable in L4, but not sure the books are that important.

Will try Winmerge, one issue: can't find the resource path for L4 books on the new hard drive. Have looked everywhere but can't find the library. 

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 4:48 PM

PCurtisBrunk:

Because many of my books came from Thomas Nelson, they do not have the normal L3 licences. I was told by tech suppor that they would not be useable in L4, but not sure the books are that important.

Will try Winmerge, one issue: can't find the resource path for L4 books on the new hard drive. Have looked everywhere but can't find the library. 

Sorry if I raised false hopes. I have books from E4 and IVP and thought Logos had been able to "retrieve" all the rights and re-publish. Thanks for clarifying.

I am in Vista so don't know where it is in 7.

In Vista it is c:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\logos4\data\randomstring\resourcemanager\resources\ Don't know if that is the same or similar or entirely different.

Chris

Posts 9
Curt Brunk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:42 PM

Thanks. Found the L4 resource path: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\thfnzrah.uda\ResourceManager\Resources. Ran Winmerge, but as expected, because of the new format in L4 it simply said the every book in both the old L3 folder and the new L4 folder were different. Any other ideas?

Posts 2255
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:44 PM

PCurtisBrunk:
Because many of my books came from Thomas Nelson, they do not have the normal L3 licences. I was told by tech suppor that they would not be useable in L4,

Very interesting...

I wonder what this means?  I think it is a pretty significant statement.  In past statements on the forum and from Logos, we have been told that all L3 resources would transfer to L4.  Now it seems that it is possible to purchase books...and one day those books will no longer work with newer versions of Libronix?

Posts 9
Curt Brunk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:58 PM

Just to clarify, I bought the books that won't transfer from Thomas Nelson, which was, at the time, using the old Logos engine to view the Nelson books. Still, do think that anything L3 could read, L4 should read.

Makes me wonder, given that I did a clean install, is there a way to point L4 at the old hard drive L3's so as to bring in any titles that are not under the L4 license? One concern would be how to do this in a way that doesn't end up duplicating a whole bunch of books in L4 on the new hard drive?

Posts 2255
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:07 PM

Yes, I understood the original post.  We have been told enough that L4 will scan your resources in L3 and all resources we have in L3 (except PBB resources) will transfer into L4, and PBB resources will be transferable later this year.  That is why your post is so interesting.  My sincere hope is that the technician was misinformed because if he is not misinformed, then we have been misinformed.  Somehow I will hold out hope that someone will be able to solve this problem.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:47 PM

PCurtisBrunk:
the books that won't transfer from Thomas Nelson, which was, at the time, using the old Logos engine to view the Nelson books.

Have you "synchronized" your Libronix 3 licenses? (Sorry if I've over looked this part of your answers.)

[The only way to get L2 and L1 books into L4 is to first get Logos 1 or Logos 2 installed and running. Then import those books  into L3 (& sync) and then SCAN the L3 resource path from L4.  .] The problem with this is that both L1 and L2 were 16 bit programs. Windows 7 will not run them. Will Vista? XP should.

Or have I missed something here? So far I have only read here on these forums (and on all of the beta threads)  of 1-2 books maximum that people have been unable to get into the new logos 4.. (and I believe that they were of the L1 or L2 variety.) Others have had some trouble with E4 books. These are no longer produced. Some have no issues with the E4 files but there were reports/rumours of ("substandard"?) quality control issues with some of their files.

Someone could please correct me on this?

Regards

Steve

ps. I am interested in this because a local book store still has some old L1 files which I would buy if guaranteed that i could import them.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2255
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:59 PM

PCurtisBrunk

Perhaps you can let us know which resources you are talking about specifically.  I have Nelson resources and I see them all in L4. So I think your problem might be solvable and the technician may be incorrect.  Let us know which resources you are speaking about.

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:09 PM

Yes, my MacAuthour and Stanley Thomas Nelson sets are all in my library also...

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 39
John A. Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:37 PM

I agree that knowing which resources would help, but I suspect you were misinformed.

I had a lot of Thomas Nelson resources in L3, including the Jack Hayford materials you've mentioned, and they've all transferred over successfully to L4.

John A. Taylor - L5 Portfolio+++ = A Great Library!

"A life in His love and fellowship will make prayer to Him the natural expression of our soul's life." ~ Andrew Murray

Posts 35586
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:48 PM

The information as I understand it:

• all purchased resources you used in L3 can be used in L4
  • there are L3 items that will not be re-indexed to use all L4 features because of licensing issues
  • there have been a variety of different issues that have caused individuals to have difficulties; a few, of very short duration, hit everyone with a particular resource but these were corrected quickly.
  • there have been a number of typographical errors, incorrect indexing and/or links. While annoying and probably beyond what Logos hoped to achieve in Quality Assurance, these have not been outside normal range.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1635
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:48 PM

The only Nelson resources that didn't transfer to Logos 4 were the customized home pages and the audio resources (sermon recordings, audio books, etc).

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:10 PM

PeterLi:
the audio resources

I have at least one or two of these and never listened to them. Seems I recall that they are in a format that can be read by any computer music software program so can be accessed without Logos.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9
Curt Brunk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:40 PM

Given that I did a "clean"/from scratch install of L4, such that anything that was in the L3 resources did not copy over - and given that there are resources I have that are not automatically installed by my Logos licences - how how do I point L4 on my new hard drive running windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to the old L3 resources/books on my old hard drive which is hooked up via USB? very impressed with the responses to this, thanks to all.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:01 PM

PCurtisBrunk:

Here's where your new L4 Resource subdirec is under Win7/64:

C:\Users\{Yours}\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\{Unique to Your Sys and is a weird numeric/alpha combo}\ResourceManager\Resources

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:11 PM

(in Logos 4) go up to the Command Window and type in

SCAN (in uppercase)

ie. SCAN (then the path to your Resources)

ie as an example

SCAN d:\Resources

where "d" would be the letter designation of your USB drive. Of course if you have the Resource drawer nested inside other drawers then the  full path should be copied/typed etc.

At this point there should be "action" in your "tray" at the bottom right of your computer screen.

[I'm sorry but I cannot remember if you also have to reboot -- late night] Embarrassed

Regards

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:19 PM

Stephen Filyer:
[I'm sorry but I cannot remember if you also have to reboot -- late night]

YES, REBOOT!!!

You must close and then reopen L4 for the command to execute. Sort of like 'rediscover resources' required in 3.0.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:42 PM

Stephen Filyer:

Stephen Filyer:
[I'm sorry but I cannot remember if you also have to reboot -- late night]

YES, REBOOT!!!

You must close and then reopen L4 for the command to execute. Sort of like 'rediscover resources' required in 3.0.

You DO NOT have to re-boot your computer, just close and restart Logos to "activate" the scan command. Also, don't have to use Caps for Scan. At least I didn't today in Beta 2.

I was trying in my first answer to assure you that those resources would come, as has been said here. Since I don't have them, I deferred to you, but agree with the others that we've been assured that things you bought will transfer across. I know there have been some issues, but still believe that to be true.

Either the tech misspoke, misunderstood, was just wrong, or you misunderstood - that seems clear.

Getting those resources via scan should work.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS