Beware the Crossgrade Option

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
O T Morgan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:56 AM

Tempting as it seems to just Crossgrade, it looks as if you lose your original status. I am a Logos 5 Platinum user but to retain the Platinum collection I need to spend several hundred dollars (and obtain several more resources that I don't really want). I recall a similar marketing ploy when the updating options from L4 to L5 were sold, and the outcry when that poor customer service was realized. But, fo course, I may be wrong about this and Logos sales representatives may answer this thread to say that I have misunderstood their marketing. Their clarification would be welcome.     

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:59 AM

Owen Morgan:

Tempting as it seems to just Crossgrade, it looks as if you lose your original status. I am a Logos 5 Platinum user but to retain the Platinum collection I need to spend several hundred dollars (and obtain several more resources that I don't really want). I recall a similar marketing ploy when the updating options from L4 to L5 were sold, and the outcry when that poor customer service was realized. But, fo course, I may be wrong about this and Logos sales representatives may answer this thread to say that I have misunderstood their marketing. Their clarification would be welcome.     

You've misunderstood how it all works.

If you have L5 Platinum, you will not lose any of the resources/datasets that came with L5 Platinum. Any L6 purchase you make will add to what you already have, not take away from it.

This was true for Logos 4 and Logos 5 (although some people misunderstood it then, too).

From the FAQ:

Will I lose any of my current books if I upgrade?

Absolutely not. Content you’ve purchased from us is licensed to you for life. You never lose access to your books, datasets, and media. We guarantee your content will continue to work on the latest version of our software, and we even provide free updates to your resources to take advantage of new functionality, tagging, and other enhancements.

Will I get charged for anything I already own?

Absolutely not. Our dynamic pricing engine ensures that you only pay for what’s new to you.

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:01 AM

You don't lose your status, it lists your highest recent upgrade.  The L6 Crossgrade would technically be a higher package then any L5 base package as far is labels are concerned.  You still have all resources and datasets you owned before.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:03 AM

You never lose any resources.  You'll always have the L5 Platinum resources and datasets even if you only buy the L6 Crossgrade.  The crossgrade adds to your existing library---nothing is lost.   You should only buy the L6 Platinum base package if you want the new items added to that base package. If you do, dynamic pricing will reduced the price of the new base package based on the resources you already own.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 6
O T Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:32 AM

Mark

The question is, resources notwithstanding, If you were Logos 5 (Platinum) and you Crossgrade, do you become Logos 6 Platinum, or not?

Owen

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:35 AM

Owen Morgan:
If you were Logos 5 (Platinum) and you Crossgrade, do you become Logos 6 Platinum, or not?

No. Logos 6 Platinum has different resources and collections than Logos 5 Platinum. While you will not gain any of the additional resources included in L6 Platinum, you will not lose anything you have already purchased

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:40 AM

Owen Morgan:

Mark

The question is, resources notwithstanding, If you were Logos 5 (Platinum) and you Crossgrade, do you become Logos 6 Platinum, or not?

Owen

The answer is no.  You don't "become" a base package.  It's not a status.  It's a package of resources.  You should think of it as a product you own.  If you bought the Crossgrade, you would then own two base packages (if we can call the crossgrade a base package).

As an example.  I owned L4 Platinum, and then I bought L5 Silver, and then I bought the L5 Crossgrade (to get features L5 Silver didn't have).  Then I bought the L5 Reformed Bronze.  It appears that I am going down in "status" (Platinum to Silver to Bronze), but in reality I own them all, and the resources are what matter. 

Faithlife (the company) keeps track of all your purchases (base packages and other) so you don't need to worry that you'll lose out on a future upgrade.  It is the individual resources you own that matter when calculating upgrade prices anyway (not the latest base package purchased).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 9:42 AM

Owen Morgan:

Mark

Owen

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking exactly. You don't lose any of your Logos5 Platinum resources. On my installation of Logos6 it says "Platinum v5 (IH)," if that helps. But I'm not sure that means anything to Logos or me, except that it says something there. It may be a carryover from when Logos had only a limited number of packages. Now there is Platinum, Reformed [this], SDA [that], Pentecostal-Charismatic [the other]. One could have multiple packages in several of these and (as far as I know), only one would appear in"About Logos."

I'm not aware of any privilege that comes from having certain packages, as opposed to others. Further Logos now tracks not only packages but individual purchase as well, making these designations even less important. Logos knows what I have (aside from the occasional glitch); the designation no longer seems to serve any real purpose (as far as I know).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1
Tiago Nunes Oliveira | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 5:53 AM

Owen,

there is no such thing as "Platinium" status. Platinium is a package with a certain number of resources. The packages change from version to version on Logos. So Logos 5 Platinium package is not the same as Logos 6 Platinium package because they have different resources.

Remember: Platinium is not a status, is a package. All logos users have the same status, but different recourses in their libraries.

Posts 160
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:23 AM

Owen, Why not call your sales rep? He is the ONLY one that can categorically answer your questions and make sure you get what you need.

With Logos you never loose resources but actually add resources. 

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:24 AM

The only "status" associated the L5 Platinum was the "lifetime" 50% discount on the Topical Bundles (version 2). Logos will still honor that discount as long as they continue selling the old bundles. I do not believe the L6 Platinum has any benefit associated with it.

BTW the 3rd version of the Topic Bundles offers a better base discount, so with the 15% discount you get at the time you purchase a base package the final discount is greater. However, while you can still purchase the old bundles you may want to do so, the content of the bundles has changed.

Posts 55
Rick Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:34 AM

I think the question Mr. Morgan was asking is the same question that arose among many higher end package owners is that they lost the "status" or recognition of being a Platinum package owner or whatever package owner.  When I upgraded from L4-L5 I went from being a X Package owner to a minimal cross grade owner.  It may seem trivial, but after investing thousands of dollars with a company it isn't.  Imagine being a black card American Express holder and suddenly AEx replaces the card or being some elite level customer with an airline and suddenly you lose that status because of a policy change.  It's no different.  At one level and I fully believe it is unintentional, Logos is acting like; "What have you done for us recently?" 

As I said, I just think Logos didn't consider this fully when it came to upgrade policy or at least I hope that was the case. 

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:47 AM

Rick Williams:

I think the question Mr. Morgan was asking is the same question that arose among many higher end package owners is that they lost the "status" or recognition of being a Platinum package owner or whatever package owner.  When I upgraded from L4-L5 I went from being a X Package owner to a minimal cross grade owner.  It may seem trivial, but after investing thousands of dollars with a company it isn't.  Imagine being a black card American Express holder and suddenly AEx replaces the card or being some elite level customer with an airline and suddenly you lose that status because of a policy change.  It's no different.  At one level and I fully believe it is unintentional, Logos is acting like; "What have you done for us recently?" 

As I said, I just think Logos didn't consider this fully when it came to upgrade policy or at least I hope that was the case. 

except that its not exactly apples and oranges.

With an airline, or the credit card there are perks.

With Logos, you gain perks by dealing with the same salesperson over time, not based upon which package you currently own.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:47 AM

Rick Williams:

Maybe I am missing something. With a cross grade you maintain all of your existing features and resources. You get additional features and resources. Who cares what the package is called? I can tell you there is no hidden benefit or special treatment of those who have the higher base packages or have very large libraries. 

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:54 AM

Fredc:

Maybe I am missing something. With a cross grade you maintain all of your existing features and resources. You get additional features and resources. Who cares what the package is called? I can tell you there is no hidden benefit or special treatment of those who have the higher base packages or have very large libraries. 

Exactly. I am coming up on 10k titles. The only perks I have are that upgrades costing me less each new release cycle (because of dynamic pricing), and discounts gained from my salesman (whose become a friend). Neither of which are a result of my highest (most recent) base package purchase.

For a time portfolio owners were offered 50% off all bundles. But thats been dropped with the new base packages (though if you had it before, you still have it - nothing lost).

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:55 AM

Owen Morgan:

The forum was filled with the same complaints with L5.

I'm not worried about a status label.

I pay for resources. I get them. I use them to study God's Word.

The label on my pkg doesn't make a difference. 

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:58 AM

Edwin Bowden:

The forum was filled with the same complaints with L5.

I'm not worried about a status label.

I pay for resources. I get them. I use them to study God's Word.

The label on my pkg doesn't make a difference. 

Fully agree. I am not too likely to actually upgrade to a package in L6, so I'll have no L6 'status'. Doesn't hurt a bit.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:01 AM

Nice Mark.

The new features don't hold any atraction for you? or are there other factors at play?

My download is just about to start for my new package.

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:17 AM

As was noted, this is the same question/concern that came up when we moved from L4 to L5. Part of the problem, as suggested, is user confusion on the significance of the package names. But a bigger problem, I think, is the branding folk who show the same images and use the same names but refer to different things. 

Now suppose Starbucks renames their sizes. The Grande is now the Tall, and the tall is now the Short. So you still pay the former Grande price but appear to be getting the formerly smaller size. Would we blame the customers for being confused about what they are ordering?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 8:21 AM

Owen, your point is well taken.  It's not by accident there's 'bronze' or 'platinum', etc.   I'm surprised they didn't call the crossgrade 'iron and clay'.  Logos appeals to humans in the exact way writers did way back during Ashurbanipal.  And then Logosians play like it really doesn't matter, express puzzlement, and assure that, sure Babylon (some claim the Medes) might have been silver but it was simply a label.

Now me ... I loved my OL label.  It described exactly why I have Logos.  But it disappeared.  Now I don't even get an 'Iron and clay'.  I'm a nothing.  And for sure I'd never buy bronze, silver or gold ... they sound so chinzy. Pearls, yes.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS