Logos 4 Crashes Immediately after install

Page 1 of 4 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:05 PM

My computer has Win XP Pro SP3 and the C: drive has 65 GB free space.  I tried to install Logos 4 from the disks which arrived two days ago (Silver library) but after installation finished when Logos 4 tried to start I immediately got the standard Windows message window "Logos Bible Software 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close. ....".  Eacch time subsequently when Windows starts each morning Logos 4 tries to start and I get the same message. After reading most of the posings in this forum I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and also tried uninstalling then manually removing all files associated with Logos 4.  Also tried holding the Control key down while starting Logos 4 - same result every time.

Please can someone tell me how to get this program to work??

Noel

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:14 PM

Noel,

Please enable logging, try again, then zip the log file and attach it to a post.

See: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

BTW: holding the control key while starting enables logging so you may have a log file already. It will be in My Documents/Logos Log Files. It will be called Logos4.log.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:23 PM

Noel R Matthews:
Please can someone tell me how to get this program to work??

There are two programs known to cause problems with Logos4: Cybersitter and Kensington MouseWorks. If you have either of those, contact tech support, as we can't help you here.

Else follow the instructions regarding enabling logging. More instructions can be found in the Wiki (see in my signature for a link). A few other causes/solutions of Logos not working can also be found there.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:54 PM

Thanks Mark and Richard,

I have attached the log file - yes it is there. (hope I have done this right - what I thought was the attachment button (paper clip) leads to a window to insert media??)[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/7024.logos4setup.log:550:0]

I do not have either of the programs Richard mentions.  I shall go to the wiki now.

Noel

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:22 PM

Sorry I missed the instruction to ZIP the log file - her it is zipped.  [View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/2061.Logos4setup.zip:550:0]

Noel

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:46 PM

Noel,

The file did not get attached correctly. Please try it again.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:59 PM

Noel R Matthews:
:550:0]

Noel, somehow you must get the file to the Forum with out the :550 attached or it will NOT be able to be accessed. (Sorry, I do not know why thi sis so).

Regards

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:45 PM

Noel,

You can attach the zipped file with the paper clip. 

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:48 PM

I do apologise - I don't know what I am doing wrong, but will try again - please tell me how to attach.  I am using the paper clip link which leads to a page to insert media - and I can see no other option.  [View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/5483.Logos4setup.zip]

I have edited the link to remove the 550 - but I cannot see any other option.

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:54 PM

Sorry, Noel. I must be half asleep.

In your composing window, at the top you'll see an "Options" button. Click it and then attach the zipped file.

Chris

Posts 30

Thanks that is the clue I needed!

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:04 PM

Noel,

Sorry, I don't know enough about what it is saying. Others do. It can't find a process and gives up attempting, but I don't know what or why. Hopefully, one of the IT types will jump in here.

Chris

Posts 727
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:09 PM

There also seems to be an error getting a file from H: (are you installing from a DVD?) because of an access denial. But it says you have admin rights. So, again, I'm in over my depth.

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:21 PM

Yes that is correct - Drive H: is the DVD drive in my computer.  That  is interesting - why, when it is clearly getting all the other installation files from the same DVD, would it fail on one file?  Could I simply copy that file from the DVD to the location specified in the log file?

Noel

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 4:17 AM

Noel,

We need to look at logos4.log if the error occurs when you start L4 (which appears to be installed from the Logos4setup.log you sent)

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 6:44 PM

Noel R Matthews:
Thanks that is the clue I needed!

Noel you did attach this correctly but just sent us the normal Logos setup program as far as I can tell.

As Dave pointed out we need the crash log which if you have turned logging on will be generated after a crash and will be found in your My Documents/Logos Log Files folder. It will be the Logos4.log file.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 6:59 PM

Afraid there is no Logos4.log file in the folder - just the file I sent yesterday, nothing at all for today despite my starting (or trying to) Logos4 with Control down twice today.  The crash happens so quickly after I click on the logos icon perhaps there is just not time for the log file to be generated?  In case it is of interest I see a large number of messages from Google Desktop Manager in the Event Viewer about the time I tried to start Logos4 - mainly that the service tried to start and then stopped.  Would Google Desktop Manager be conflicting with Logos4?

Noel

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:21 AM

I do not know whether this is relevant, but in case it is.  I just tried to start Logos4 - once just double clicking the icon on the desktop and once holding down Control.  I then went to Event Viewer to see what showed up in the logs. nothing - neither the Application log nor the System log showed any activity at the times I tried to start Logos4.

Noel

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:12 AM

Check if .NET 3.5 SP2 is installed in Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. How did you install it?

If that is OK I would recommend a complete uninstall, including Prerequisites and removal of the Logos4 folder at C:\Documents and Settings\noel\Local Settings\Application Data.

Install L4 from http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe with the DVD in the drive. As extra insurance disable Google Desktop Manager. If the download is too large you can always Cancel it and get resources from the DVD (Start L4 with DVD still in drive).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 30
Noel R Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:25 PM

Thanks.  Add/Remove Programs only shows .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.  The Microsoft site says that SP2 can not be separately installed - does not make sense to me!  What should I do now, please?

Noel

Page 1 of 4 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS