New Font is a big step backwards - poorly kerned, too light, difficult to read.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:25 AM

The new default font is not attractive on Logos 6 (on Win7). It's a big step backwards from the Logos 5 font, on Windows anyway. Here is an example from the Home Page with some examples highlighted - the kerning is very poor indeed and makes it difficult to read the text at speed.

As we'll be spending lots of time looking at this font, I hope it will improve dramatically.

Off to enjoy the new features now - good work Smile

Posts 3003
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:33 AM

Richard Lyall:

The new default font is not attractive on Logos 6 (on Win7). It's a big step backwards from the Logos 5 font, on Windows anyway. Here is an example from the Home Page with some examples highlighted - the kerning is very poor indeed and makes it difficult to read the text at speed.

As we'll be spending lots of time looking at this font, I hope it will improve dramatically.

Off to enjoy the new features now - good work Smile

I don't see a new font except for the homepage which has been completely redrawn.  Can you show an example from your resources?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:39 AM

It's not the resource font - the user chooses that one, it's the system one used to create reports, home page etc. The example already provided shows this font in action on the Home Page.

Posts 3003
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:41 AM

Richard Lyall:

It's not the resource font - the user chooses that one, it's the system one used to create reports, home page etc. The example already provided shows this font in action on the Home Page.

Yes, I understood that.  That is only the homepage though.  The homepage is a springboard for you go into either a website or a resource not necessarily for hard reading.  But I'm sure they developers can take this into account.

How to upload logs

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 6:57 AM

The same font appears all over the place - it is a system font. I'd hope it would be pleasant to look at wherever it appears :) Here's another example from the Morphology Charts:

Posts 3003
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:11 AM

Richard Lyall:

The same font appears all over the place - it is a system font. I'd hope it would be pleasant to look at wherever it appears :) Here's another example from the Morphology Charts:

Hmm, I just guess I don't have an issue with it since I didn't seem to notice.  I would say the complaints you have brought up are more subjective than anything though.

How to upload logs

Posts 150
LogosEmployee
Todd White (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:48 AM

Thank you for reporting this. We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. One of the technologies we use in the new home page and interactives relies on Chrome web browser. Chrome 35 is what we are currently built on and Chrome 37 introduced new and improved font rendering http://blog.chromium.org/2014/07/chrome-37-beta-directwrite-on-windows.html. Just yesterday we got Chrome 39 up and running internally and are considering getting a beta with it out in the next couple of weeks if we can get it stable enough.

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:52 AM

Hi Todd ... thanks for your response.

There have been a few recent font related issues and changes with Chrome as you say. Chrome 38 introduced some other font rendering issues on machines with more than 1750 fonts installed, but a hotfix last night seems to have fixed this.

Keep up the excellent work :)

Cheers
Richard

Posts 804
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:54 AM

Hi David ... I guess it is partly subjective as you say, but there is an underlying tech issue too, and that's going to be sorted thankfully.

All good :)

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:57 AM

I would like to concur with the concern about the Home Page fonts. I run my displays at 90% Program scaling, and the fonts look very washed out with the lines almost of slightly inconsistent thickness. It is not only unattractive but I have found anyone looking at it thinks something is wrong.

Kudos to look at updating this, thanks!

Posts 1098
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 7:09 AM

I do agree, the homepage font looks quite off. Happy to hear a fix may be coming; I can wait. Smile

Posts 3003
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 7:11 AM

I must just be weird lol.

How to upload logs

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 6:38 AM

Sean:

I do agree, the homepage font looks quite off. Happy to hear a fix may be coming; I can wait. Smile

Me too Yes

Posts 29
Dennis Phelps | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 9:03 AM

I agree. It was my immediate impression of the upgrade and I was concerned. It was more difficult to read and less attractive to me.

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 10:37 AM

I agree with the OP that on my system Logos 6, Win 7 the font on the home page seems kind of light and washed out, not as attractive as Logos 5 was. I am liking Logos 6 in general but just not how the home page is looking compared to Logos 5.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 11:54 AM

I'll also add, go compare the Win 7 hoe page to the Mac home page. That one looks very nice. Hopefully the update to the Windows home page will match it.

Posts 2692
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 12:02 PM

Todd White (Faithlife):
One of the technologies we use in the new home page and interactives relies on Chrome web browser.

OH JOY!! Back to the good ole days..

Sadly old enough to remember back to libronix days where MSIE kept breaking Logos :( now we have chrome to do it..

I thought the plan was not to rely on a 3rd party software.. oh well I guess goals change

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 12:17 PM

I'm glad I came across this thread. I wasn't quite sure yet if it had something to do with my bad eyes or some system issue.

Thanks

Yes

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

DominicM:

I thought the plan was not to rely on a 3rd party software.. oh well I guess goals change

You must not have seen the third-party software licenses in the About dialog recently... Smile

We use a lot of third-party software where it is well-maintained and supplies critical functionality that would be too costly or time-consuming for us to implement internally; Chromium ("Chrome" is a misnomer) falls into this category.

DominicM:
Sadly old enough to remember back to libronix days where MSIE kept breaking Logos :( now we have chrome to do it..

There is a world of difference between relying on a system component that can be updated by the vendor at any time, potentially breaking our software (MSIE) and an embedded library that will never change after it passes our QA and we ship it to users (Chromium).

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS