"Best" Base Package Upgrade for a United Methodist ... ?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Rob Price | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:27 PM

As a socially and theologically conservative United Methodist Pastor about to jump from Logos 5 to Logos 6, I'm considering a more specialized "Base Package Family" from the "General" I've used so far.  However, I'm unsure as to which (if any) might be preferable for my place of service and stance as a Wesleyan/Arminian theologian.  I've looked at the "Anglican" option, but can't really tell much from the description.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Rob Price

Posts 1658
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:35 PM

Rob Price:
Wesleyan/Arminian
?

Someone reported that these Base packages were also in development.

If I were you I would wait a bit?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:36 PM

Anglican or Charismatic/Pentecostal could be a jump. However, some the higher "general" packages (I received them in Diamond) have a number of Wesleyan/Arminian works. Including the collective works of John Wesley and Charles Wesley, as well as the Wesleyan bible commentary. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 38
Rob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:43 PM

I currently have the "Portfolio" level that I purchased with Logos 4; however, I find that the $2300.00 upgrade cost to maintain "Portfolio" at Logos 6 is "too rich for my blood."

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:45 PM

You aren't required to go to "portfolio" in L6. You could upgrade to Diamond and you would still gain a number of resources, including the few I mentioned here. You could also call and talk to someone in sales and they could point you in the clearer direction with specific resource you are looking to pick-up. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 28 2014 4:49 PM

Kent Hendricks:
A Wesleyan/Methodist package is coming soon.

I would wait.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1083
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 5:46 AM

Rob Price:

I currently have the "Portfolio" level that I purchased with Logos 4; however, I find that the $2300.00 upgrade cost to maintain "Portfolio" at Logos 6 is "too rich for my blood."

If you're interested in using Logos 6 now while you wait for a Methodist/Wesleyan package, you might want to look at getting a Gold Package or Feature Crossgrade. Don't waste money and resources on the Anglican package unless you see resources you really like. Anyway, if you get Gold or the Feature Crossgrade, you'll get to enjoy your L4 Portfolio in Logos 6 while you wait for your tailored base package to be created.

Posts 38
Rob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:37 AM

Thanks to all for your counsel.  I've decided to go with the Feature Crossgrade for now, then consider the Wesleyan/Arminian setup when that drops.

Peace.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:01 PM

Be aware that it is more expensive to buy a Crossgrade before a base package, than the other way around.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 38
Rob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:57 PM

Good point - I had not actually done the math.  However, I wonder if that's still actually the case if the current "deep discounts" (compared to what the costs will be after the roll-out period is over) have expired when a Wesleyan/Arminian package is released ... ?

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:22 PM

I would suspect the "deep discounts" will be offered at the time of the Wesleyan package release.

That was the case for the other denominational packages.

Maybe not as deep as were seeing right now, but they were 15% or so.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1083
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:26 PM

Rob Price:

Good point - I had not actually done the math.  However, I wonder if that's still actually the case if the current "deep discounts" (compared to what the costs will be after the roll-out period is over) have expired when a Wesleyan/Arminian package is released ... ?

They'll release it with a 15% discount when that day comes.

I found that my Base Package upgrade was close in price to the Crossgrade, yet it had the benefit of some extra resources besides the new dataset.

If they come out with the new base package within 30 days, you can return your Crossgrade and get the new package you want. If they come out with the new base package in 6 months, then you'll have gotten some use out of Logos 6. If it's somewhere in between, that might not be ideal. It depends on how valuable Logos 6 is to you in the mean time. You'll have to judge how soon "soon" is: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93109/646243.aspx#646243

Posts 12
Brian Dalbow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:04 PM

It might just be that I am a new user, but I have been impressed with their willingness to work with me.  I purchased Logos 5 Platinum in September and was able to pick up the new features of Logos 6 and its new resources, while keeping the contents of my 5 base package that are no longer included.    I cannot speak from the perspective of having much time being customer, but I get the sense that they try and take care of you the best they can.   I know Logos/FaithLife is a for-profit company, but they do seem to treat customers well.   If a Wesleyan/Methodist package, of which I want as well, comes I am sure they would let you migrate and get discounts based on the titles that you already own without breaking the bank.

I do have to admit that I got the best of both worlds.   I  got the platinum 5 package because it had the Wesleyan Bible Commentary Series.   I am now thrilled that I was able to pick up the Socio-Rhetorical Commentaries, of which Ben Witherington is a primary contributor.  I feel that I am well on my way to owning resources from Wesleyan perspective.  

Now if I only I could have the Book of Discipline in Logos!     

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:24 PM

Remember to look at the contents of the packages, not just the labels. As Presbyterian I have found enough resources of value from the Lutheran and Anglican bass packages to purchase each of these this summer. As much as we make of our theological differences we share a lot and can learn from each other. For polemical reasons we tend to paint each other in the worse possible light by picking the worse examples from the theological positions we do not share. Perhaps that is a good strategy in a war of words, but it does help much in growing more Christ like. Just something to think about.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 1:57 AM

Brian Dalbow:

Now if I only I could have the Book of Discipline in Logos!     

You can't get that yet but you can get the Guidelines. I picked up a few and keep them on my toolbar. You can see them all at Vyrso by clicking HERE

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS