Bug: LogosIndexer download issues; 5.3, 6.0

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:03 AM

While downloading large resource update on 5.3B4 and then again with 6.0 the downloads would work normally for a while (~3-20 minutes) and then stop and the downloads would repeatedly fail. Cancelling the download and restarting Logos would make the downloads start again for a while.

When this happened, LogosIndexer was not actually indexing or downloading, but the process consumed 2 CPU cores at 100%, from iStat you can see download traffic drop to 0 and the CPU usage ramp up:

I wondered if it was due to server load issues but this didn't seem to be the case (after restarting Logos many times and getting through the download at a snail's pace, I found the update URLs and downloaded them with a download manager without any problem)

Weird...

Edit:

I recovered the end of an indexer log from when it was failing:

5140.indexer-failing.log

Apparently the download jobs were timing out, but when I downloaded the files manually with an external download manager there were no hiccups at all...

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 2:17 AM

Apparently I'm not the only one... Perhaps a LogosIndexer bug on Yosemite?

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93096.aspx

Posts 22
Christian Bongartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 4:24 AM

I don't think this has anything to do with Yosemite. I've had the problem before (using Mavericks), but I ignored it as I didn't have such a big amount to download. This time around with my recent update to Logos 6, I have a download of more than 6GB, this makes the whole thing annoying. Especially as I'm losing valuable data, I pay quite a lot per GB.

I am living in Africa, so we don't always have the best of internet connections. This could cause a timeout with the download jobs

Posts 28124
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 4:32 AM

I have been having problems too... I did not notice problems until Yosemite.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 22
Christian Bongartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 5:36 AM

By now I have used up about 4GB of data and only managed to download about 800 MB worth of updated resources. This is getting expensive for me. Does anybody know a way to find out which resources are in the pipeline for downloading and if there is a way to download them manually?

I have attached my log files. Maybe they can help in assessing what is going on.

0044.LogosLogs.ngwazi.20141029-141319.zip

Posts 13
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 5:49 AM

Jon:

I am experiencing the exact same problem.

Jon:

when I downloaded the files manually with an external download manager there were no hiccups at all...

How does one manually download the files with an external download manager?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts 28124
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 5:55 AM

Digital Sojourner:
How does one manually download the files with an external download manager?

You don't. 

Digital Sojourner:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to work on creating a mega thread to see if we can help get the attention of someone at Logos. In the meantime, please create a new thread, explaining the issue clearly, providing appropriate details. You should also enable and post logs. See my signature line for assistance.

Posts 28124
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:43 AM

I have created a "metathread" to curate posts which might relate to this issue. See : https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93214/646876.aspx#646876

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:49 AM

alabama24:

Digital Sojourner:
How does one manually download the files with an external download manager?

You don't. 

Yeah, that's too fiddly to be a useful workaround — I only mention it because it suggests that there is a bug and not simply lots of people having server/connection issues.

Posts 13
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:18 AM

Thanks everyone.

I finally got it to work. I kept canceling the download when it stopped and then installed what little I did get. I did this about 15 times and then one time for no apparent reason it worked--  3.5 GB download, installed, and indexed in about 30 minutes or so.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS