The million dollar Q. — performance improvement with L6 on Macs?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:11 AM

I did a search for this in the L6 forum and got no hits, so here is the question:

Purely considering performance (ignoring the new features/media etc.), given that this was one of the stated goals of the next version of Logos 6, can anyone definitively & quantitatively comment about the performance increase with Logos 6?

If one uses the same hardware and did the program upgrade so Logos 6 should be running as a Mac 64 bit application what is the performance increase. 

Also is Mono (the translation layer that runs the Windows .NET framework on Macs) which Logos uses also updated to 64 bit? That is, is Logos 6 fully 64 bit for Mac users or are we still hobbled with 32 bit Mono/.NET?

Be interested to get feedback, subjective and objective, from Mac users who have upgraded.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 6:20 AM

I saw a marked improvement.

Downloaded almost 8gb in total of new resources, and it took maybe an hour to fully index.

The updates on monday once they downloaded took about 20 minutes (running L6 both time).

I think as long as you're running a 64 bit version - because of the new coding that takes advantage of this - you should notice an improvement if for no other reason than its allowing the software to use more memory.

I'm a pc by the way, so your mileage may vary - but - the change was made to both, suspect both should improve as a result.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 16
Rich Huston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:07 AM

This is my question exactly. Definitely waiting for user reports about stability and speed with version 6 on a mac.  5 is okay right now but won't be tempted to spend more $ for all the great new features until the bad old features are confirmed resolved.     

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:38 AM

Patrick S.:

Also is Mono (the translation layer that runs the Windows .NET framework on Macs) which Logos uses also updated to 64 bit? That is, is Logos 6 fully 64 bit for Mac users or are we still hobbled with 32 bit Mono/.NET?

Yes it is still using Mono. But others have said it didn't necessarily prevent any speed improvements.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:46 AM

abondservant:

Patrick S.:

Yes it is still using Mono. But others have said it didn't necessarily prevent any speed improvements.

Yes I knew it was going to/is still using Mono — I can still see all those yukky DLLs inside the Mac Logos 6 app bundle — my question is Mono & associated .NET code now also 64 bit or are they still stuck in 32 bit land. I hope not as that will hobble the Mac version of Logos 6.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 7:52 AM

Rich Huston:

This is my question exactly. Definitely waiting for user reports about stability and speed with version 6 on a mac.  5 is okay right now but won't be tempted to spend more $ for all the great new features until the bad old features are confirmed resolved.     

Well I took the plunge and got the Logos 6 Extended Crossgrade. I trust I won't have to take them up on the 30 day money back guarantee!

I'm looking around and trying things now, downloaded 2.5 GB of updates, doing Stage 1 of 3 of preparing library.

Will try things and report back (for the Mac specific part).

Posts 2509
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:08 AM

Patrick,

Several areas of performance have improved, specifically those that are processor intensive such as indexing. There are some issues still where a search takes less than a second, but rendering the results takes a few seconds. Better, perhaps, but maybe not what meets your expectations. FYI I am on a late 2012 MBP with SSD.

Logos search will still run slow on certain searches, such as a wildcard search on the book of John to get all the words used in that book.

In short, I am very pleased with L6 on a Mac given my study workflow. Those whose studies require complex searching may find L6 still slow, but for 99% of what I do it is comparable to other bible software.

Some of the new features are pretty cool. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Posts 162
LogosEmployee
Chris Culy (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 8:32 AM

Patrick S.:

Yes, we use 64-bit Mono now. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to answer them as best as I can. Thanks!

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:04 AM

John Fidel:

specifically those that are processor intensive such as indexing.

Yep, Logos 6 certainly gives the processor a stern talking to now. I indexed around 1,000 resources (that got updated with L6) out of my total of 2,400 and it was finished fairly quickly. The CPU was begging for mercy - I had to push up the CPU fan speed when I saw flames coming out the top of my iMac with i7 processor... (joking!). The application overall feels a little snappier, not dramatic, but not going backwards.

I suspect some of the extra accessible horsepower has been utilised to support various of the new features — but I'm OK with that. I don't have an SSD drive in my machine, would be nice if I did I am sure Logos would benefit.

I am just touching onto some of the new analysis dataset tools — they really are very good. They are the result of a lot of effort by the Logos team tagging things and that work is bearing fruit.

On the whole, so far, the performance from a user perspective is OK. Again, improved but not dramatically in the UI side, but importantly hasn't gone backwards with all the new features. Now all Logos has to do is migrate the Logos Mac app to using the new Swift programming language — it would likely of course still all be written in Objective C.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS