Mac Download Problems Metathread

Page 2 of 9 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 168 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 8148
LogosEmployee

DivineCordial:
CPU usage spiked and internet usage flatlined after about 500MB. Cancelled and starting again...

This is normal behaviour during downloads; a patch is downloaded (internet usage) and then applied locally (CPU usage). The download rate should pick up again momentarily. If both go down to 0 (and stay there for minutes), something may be wrong. But intermittent ups and downs in the download rate are not necessarily a problem.

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:16 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

DivineCordial:
CPU usage spiked and internet usage flatlined after about 500MB. Cancelled and starting again...

This is normal behaviour during downloads; a patch is downloaded (internet usage) and then applied locally (CPU usage). The download rate should pick up again momentarily. If both go down to 0 (and stay there for minutes), something may be wrong. But intermittent ups and downs in the download rate are not necessarily a problem.

I am getting nowhere. I'm waiting for support on the phone. I think I would best be served by rolling back to L5.

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:17 AM

Not sure, but this may be specific to Mac Notebooks. I have not received my new MacBook or Mini-Mac yet (still making a decision), however on my older Mini-Mac:

Processor  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB
Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

I did not have any problems with Collectors + Reformed Portfolio + several other items. I have had Logos 6 Gold for app 3 weeks now and in seems faster than when I ran Logos 5 - no spinning beach balls, etc.

Hope Logos gets his worked out for those of you having difficulties. It can be frustrating for sure. 

Yours In Christ

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 9:35 AM

I watched the indexer log in Console alongside metrics in Activity Monitor to try and troubleshoot when I was having this issue, there is a slight blip in CPU as a patch is applied when all is working normally, but this is different — sustained driving 2 CPU cores at 100% with no indexing or patching occurring and 0 data transfer coming through, lasting hours with no change (see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93192.aspx)

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:00 AM

Wonderous Grace:
Not sure, but this may be specific to Mac Notebooks.

My guess lays elsewhere:

Wonderous Grace:

You are the first in this thread to be using 10.9.x. The issue <could> be in the notebooks, but we all have different ones, with different specs.

Wonderous Grace:
I have had Logos 6 Gold for app 3 weeks now and in seems faster than when I ran Logos 5 - no spinning beach balls, etc.

Performance in the actual L6 software is great. The biggest problem at the moment is this download issue. As you know, there were other mac users beta testing, but I am unsure how many were on 10.10 as I was. Like I said, problems began for me in early October, which wasn't much after I started using 10.10. My guess is that I only noticed the issue when I had my first 200+MB download. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 22
Christian Bongartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:23 AM
  1. What OS (be specific): Mac OS 10.10
  2. What version of Logos (be specific): 6.0
  3. What computer are you using: Macbook Air Mid 2011 (11 inch)
  4. Do you use OpenDNS (yes, no, unsure): No 
  5. What is the link to your threadBug: LogosIndexer download issues; 5.3, 6.0 I've added my comments to that thread including a log file.
Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:26 AM

Alabama,

Thanks for those corrections/clarifications. These are some very large downloads for sure. I am running 10.10 - I grabbed the wrong info from my initial testing of Logos 6. I upgraded to 10.10 while testing and forgot ... old brains for an old computer Stick out tongue. As to my comments on Logos 6 running better than Logos 5 - IMO - I meant to show there was hope at the end of the download tunnel.

alabama24:

Wonderous Grace:
Not sure, but this may be specific to Mac Notebooks.

My guess lays elsewhere:

Wonderous Grace:

You are the first in this thread to be using 10.9.x. The issue <could> be in the notebooks, but we all have different ones, with different specs.

Wonderous Grace:
I have had Logos 6 Gold for app 3 weeks now and in seems faster than when I ran Logos 5 - no spinning beach balls, etc.

Performance in the actual L6 software is great. The biggest problem at the moment is this download issue. As you know, there were other mac users beta testing, but I am unsure how many were on 10.10 as I was. Like I said, problems began for me in early October, which wasn't much after I started using 10.10. My guess is that I only noticed the issue when I had my first 200+MB download. 

Yours In Christ

Posts 36
Brad Gault | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:27 AM

... the DNS that you use really has very little to do with the downloads. Once it translates the name of a download server to an IP address it is out of the picture ...

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:36 AM

Brad Gault:
... the DNS that you use really has very little to do with the downloads. Once it translates the name of a download server to an IP address it is out of the picture ...

I know nothing about the subject, but in troubleshooting with Logos, they told me that OpenDNS might be part of the problem. I have no idea if it was or not, so I changed DNS for the time being. One of the reasons for this thread is to try and gather as much info as possible that might be related, and to create a place where we can point to related threads. I still have yet to hear from a Faithlife (Logos) employee: 1) yes there is a problem 2) we have created a case for this problem or 3) we are working on a fix for this problem. It is very frustrating. 

Posts 13383
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:40 AM

If there's anyone having this problem who is comfortable with using Charles, that might well help with diagnosis.

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 10:58 AM

Mark Barnes:

If there's anyone having this problem who is comfortable with using Charles, that might well help with diagnosis.

I don't know anything about it, but would be willing to give it a try. Presumably this would capture things like passwords, etc?  If Logos needs me to do something with this, please contact me by email.

Posts 13383
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:04 AM

Charles would show exactly what was being requested and sent from from the Logos servers. If you knew what to look for, it would almost certainly pinpoint the trouble.

Posts 8148
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 11:55 AM

alabama24:

1) yes there is a problem 2) we have created a case for this problem or 3) we are working on a fix for this problem. It is very frustrating. 

1. Yes, but it appears (from initial investigation) to be a bug in Yosemite. We use native Mac APIs for the downloads (no Mono!) and they are reporting the timeout errors. If you check Apple's forums, this is not a problem isolated to Logos: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6604025 
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes. Even though this--from initial appearances--appears to be a Yosemite problem, we are working as hard as we can to see if we can find a workaround within Logos. 

On that thread, you may see that some people have reported that disabling Bluetooth makes it better. Other people have reported better speeds on wired (rather than WiFi) connections. We haven't confirmed any of those workarounds, but I'm throwing those out here in case they help.

Posts 63
Will Cornell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:13 PM

Add me to the list of the frustrated. I'm experiencing the same problem HELP! Logos 6 install issues.

I can say, having watched the activity monitor, watching both Network usage and CPU usage that the CPU usage % skyrockets immediately when network activity stalls. After this, there is no recovering unless you kill it all and start over and wait for it to happen again.

Perhaps a caveat should be posted in the L6 System Requirements so other folks with OS 10.10 aren't left high and dry?

Thanks to TCBlack for directing me to this Metathread.

Blessings,

Will

"How soon are we broken on the soft pillow of ease! Adam in paradise was overcome, when Job on the dunghill was a conqueror."

THOMAS WATSON

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:27 PM

Will Cornell:
Perhaps a caveat should be posted in the L6 System Requirements so other folks with OS 10.10 aren't left high and dry?

It would certainly be better for users NOT to update to 10.10 at the moment. 

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:28 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
On that thread, you may see that some people have reported that disabling Bluetooth makes it better. Other people have reported better speeds on wired (rather than WiFi) connections. We haven't confirmed any of those workarounds, but I'm throwing those out here in case they help.

Thanks Bradley. I have tried using a wired connection, but it didn't help. I will try again. I will also disable Bluetooth and see if that helps. 

Posts 63
Will Cornell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:37 PM

I also run Windows 8.1 on this same MBP Retina w/ OS 10.10 (Using Parallels 10.1). I've started the process on the Windows side to see if I run into the same issues (so far all is well 14% downloaded already. It's certainly not my bandwidth)

"How soon are we broken on the soft pillow of ease! Adam in paradise was overcome, when Job on the dunghill was a conqueror."

THOMAS WATSON

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:40 PM

logos os indexing at same time it is downloading- no matter what I do.

reboot won't even stop it.

Seems this is the issue for OS X folks.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:42 PM

both processors running at 183 percent. 

Posts 3160
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:43 PM

alabama24:
Thanks Bradley. I have tried using a wired connection, but it didn't help. I will try again. I will also disable Bluetooth and see if that helps.

This isn't a question on behalf of the devs, but I have a question as I have Yosemite on my personal machine and have never had the download/network issues that seem to be associated with Mavericks/Yosemite for a number of people. 

Are you using an Apple wireless router or someone else's? When you connected via Ethernet did you connected directly to the modem, or through the an extra Ethernet port in the wireless router? 

Page 2 of 9 (169 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS