Mac Download Problems Metathread

Page 8 of 9 (169 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 168 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:21 AM

Mark Nolette:

I was doing fine with downloads on Verbum 6, but a new trick has surfaced this morning. Has anyone seen this? The download starts and seems to move normally. It stops at a certain point (42%, in my case). It then goes back to 0% and starts over. Back to 42%. Stop. Back to 0%. The loop keeps going. If I break the cycle (say, at 35%), and restart Logos, I find no new resources! 

Ethernet isn't an option for me right now, so I'm open to other thoughts.  

Downloading the resources outside of Logos worked for me. just took a few hours.

Posts 418
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:40 AM

Sean McIntyre:

Mark Nolette:

I was doing fine with downloads on Verbum 6, but a new trick has surfaced this morning. Has anyone seen this? The download starts and seems to move normally. It stops at a certain point (42%, in my case). It then goes back to 0% and starts over. Back to 42%. Stop. Back to 0%. The loop keeps going. If I break the cycle (say, at 35%), and restart Logos, I find no new resources! 

Downloading the resources outside of Logos worked for me. just took a few hours.

From what I can see, my Logos/Verbum 6 is trying to download the L6 SR4 update. How would I download that outside of Logos?  

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:49 AM

Mark Nolette:

Sean McIntyre:

Mark Nolette:

From what I can see, my Logos/Verbum 6 is trying to download the L6 SR4 update. How would I download that outside of Logos?  

Ah, sorry I missed that. I've had no issues with service updates, just downloading resources.

Posts 28373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:55 AM

Mark Nolette:
How would I download that outside of Logos?

Find the confirmation email you received from Logos when you purchased L6. There is a link there. Until February, we aren't allowed to post the link in the forums.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 418
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:07 AM

alabama24:

Mark Nolette:
How would I download that outside of Logos?

Find the confirmation email you received from Logos when you purchased L6. There is a link there. Until February, we aren't allowed to post the link in the forums.

Thanks - but isn't that link meant to install Logos/Verbum from scratch? When I click the file, it begins a fresh installation of Verbum 6!

Posts 418
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:44 PM

Well, I had some time to look at this download problem, and finally got it to finish downloading. Don't know if it was a fluke or not, but I turned off automatic downloads and then downloaded it manually when the notification of an update came up. The first attempt went to 74% before looping back to 0%. But the second attempt actually finished and installed. So, L6 SR 4 is now live on my MacBook Pro. 

With these weird problems with downloading, using Logos/Verbum these days feels like going down the rabbit hole. Curiouser and curiouser! The trip is not long term, we hope.  

Posts 28373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:20 PM

Mark Nolette:
Thanks - but isn't that link meant to install Logos/Verbum from scratch? When I click the file, it begins a fresh installation of Verbum 6!

I guess I don't know. Normally, there is a link in the forums that you can download the "newest" engine. When you download it, you can simply install it over the old one. 

Glad you having it working now.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:19 PM

Mark Nolette:
isn't that link meant to install Logos/Verbum from scratch? When I click the file, it begins a fresh installation of Verbum 6!

If you install Logos when you have Logos, or Verbum when you have Verbum, I would think it should install on top. If you install Verbum when you have Logos, or the other way around, yes, then it will start a second installation.

(Note: Logos with "Verbum set to Yes" is still Logos.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 418
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 3:48 AM

fgh:

Mark Nolette:
isn't that link meant to install Logos/Verbum from scratch? When I click the file, it begins a fresh installation of Verbum 6!

If you install Logos when you have Logos, or Verbum when you have Verbum, I would think it should install on top. If you install Verbum when you have Logos, or the other way around, yes, then it will start a second installation.

(Note: Logos with "Verbum set to Yes" is still Logos.)

Mine must be Logos with "Verbum set to yes". The Verbum dmg does indeed start a second installation. Given the download issues many people have had, I don't really want to do a second installation and download everything again! But, thankfully, that wasn't necessary. 

Posts 6
Scott Stringer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 7:37 PM

I was hopeful about OS X 10.10.1.  Alas, as expected it was of no help.  Still sitting at 4.6 GB of download with no progress even after letting it run all night.  Starting/stopping the download when it stalls updates 20 or 30 MB at a time, but that's like filling a pool with a thimble.  I'm stuck.

Posts 2447
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 8:23 PM

Scott Stringer:

I was hopeful about OS X 10.10.1.  Alas, as expected it was of no help.  Still sitting at 4.6 GB of download with no progress even after letting it run all night.  Starting/stopping the download when it stalls updates 20 or 30 MB at a time, but that's like filling a pool with a thimble.  I'm stuck.

Logos is working on this and alabama is testing a possible solution. FWIW, this really appears to be a Logos issue. I had to use a sledgehammer approach. I grabbed the resource file folder from one PC. deleted the Mac one, replaced it with the PC folder. Rebuilt the index and deleted the update.db. Smooth sailing after that with some small files and SR4. Downloads are still somewhat slow, but it's working.

I'd probably have to repeat the drill if there was another giant download. Hang in there! 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 21
Robert Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 1:54 AM

Like most other forums, I have had nothing but download problems when updating.

File sizes keep changing but it seems to be because various resources become available. 

Following various suggestions have not worked. In my instance it is NOT a Yosemite wifi issue. I have switched wifi off and reverted to Ethernet and nothing changes.

the problems for me are only with Logos! I do not have these problems with anything else.

i just tried accessing this thread via my iPad and Logos server did not respond. It is not the only time. My iPad is running  the latest IOS. My main computers are Yosemite. I installed the latest updates on all systems today in minutes only. The latest Logos update Has taken more than 24 hours and is only at 6 percent! Adobe and Microsoft updates can be huge and I have no problems with them.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 5:36 AM

Logos have made some changes in 6.0a beta, which looks like it might have worked around the problem. That's due to be released soon, so hopefully when it is, your download problems will go away. (Just downloading the beta won't work, as there are additional steps. I anticipate those additional steps will be baked in by the time 6.0a is released.)

Posts 21
Paul bowman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 11:38 AM

Joining in this thread:

1. What OS (be specific): 10.10.1
  2. What version of Logos (be specific): 5.2.2.1595
  3. What computer are you using: Mid-2014 MacBook Pro
  4. Do you use OpenDNS (yes, no, unsure): Unsure
  5. What is the link to your threadhttps://community.logos.com/forums/p/96831/668245.aspx#668245

I have been trying to setup my new macbook and have been stuck at downloading content since the beginning...Each time I restart Logos it seems that the download percentage is different, but not necessarily closer to 100%. Have tried the tip of disabling AirDrop with the terminal command sudo ifconfig awdl0 down , but it doesn't seem to have changed any thing.

Posts 6
Scott Stringer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 11:55 AM

The 6.0a update finally fixed this problem for me, along with the steps under "Change URL Download Method" on the Logos page dedicated to this bug.

Posts 28373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 12:27 PM

Paul - the terminal command fix is L6 only as it requires things not compatible with earlier versions of OSX. It is my understanding that making the fix available in L5 would break compatibility for users of older versions of OS X not supported in L6... Or something like that. I would call customer service and ask for relief. In my opinion, the L6 engine should be made available to you now. (It will be available to you in February, or whenever you purchase a new base package, whichever comes first. 

Edit: the terminal command you used is a different potential fix, but not the one I think you will need. See the link posted in the post right above mine (Scott's post)

Posts 1758
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 28 2014 12:36 PM

Paul—I see you are trying to install Logos 5 on a new macbook. Do you have a backup of your old computer—at least of the Logos resources? If you do, you can skip a lot of the downloading by using the backup--https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

Posts 21
Paul bowman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 12:04 PM

alabama24:

Paul - the terminal command fix is L6 only as it requires things not compatible with earlier versions of OSX. It is my understanding that making the fix available in L5 would break compatibility for users of older versions of OS X not supported in L6... Or something like that. I would call customer service and ask for relief. In my opinion, the L6 engine should be made available to you now. (It will be available to you in February, or whenever you purchase a new base package, whichever comes first. 

Edit: the terminal command you used is a different potential fix, but not the one I think you will need. See the link posted in the post right above mine (Scott's post)

Thank you for the info Alabama. If the problem persists I will definitely be calling customer service on Monday for help!

Posts 21
Paul bowman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 12:07 PM

Integ:

Paul—I see you are trying to install Logos 5 on a new macbook. Do you have a backup of your old computer—at least of the Logos resources? If you do, you can skip a lot of the downloading by using the backup--https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs

The only problem with that solution is my previous laptop's display (most likely graphics card) went out and I have no way to open programs on it...I will be pulling the hard drive to extract other files and data, would I be able to access Logos resources that way? Are they saved to a specific directory on the hard drive that I could access and simply upload onto my new hard drive?

Posts 21
Paul bowman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 12:11 PM

I don't know what happened, but it appears that I may be back in business! I opened up logos and the massive download is gone, and it appears that my library is fully there...

Page 8 of 9 (169 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS