Disapointed!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:57 AM

I just went to order the Logos 4 manual written by MP. It is about $30AUS...turns out it will cost me more than that to get it shipped to Australia. Sad

Is it possible to order a downloadable version at all? Please? anyone? 

One final question: Are these manuals worth the cost or is it possible to learn the same kind of things from the plethora of videos around the place? Volume one seems to have some pretty basic stuff in it.

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:52 AM

MarkStevens:
Are these manuals worth the cost or is it possible to learn the same kind of things from the plethora of videos around the place?

Mark

I ordered those manuals in less than a week after installing L4, I have hardly touched them. I learn more from other users and from just experimenting with the application. Also, I have wondered how long it will take for the Manuals to be out-of-date as the "Missing Features" are added to L4. So far, they have not been worth the cost to me, and I did not have to pay overseas shipping.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 5:03 AM

JackCaviness:

MarkStevens:
Are these manuals worth the cost or is it possible to learn the same kind of things from the plethora of videos around the place?

Mark

I ordered those manuals in less than a week after installing L4, I have hardly touched them. I learn more from other users and from just experimenting with the application. Also, I have wondered how long it will take for the Manuals to be out-of-date as the "Missing Features" are added to L4. So far, they have not been worth the cost to me, and I did not have to pay overseas shipping.

Jack, thanks for that. I was wondering if that was the case. Perhaps they will be good for brand new users of logos.

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 6:36 AM

You would probably do better to watch all the videos. There are some very good ones.

Posts 35
Greg Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:40 AM

Mark,

I found things to be different from Kevin.

I am a Logos power user. That sounds egotistical but I need you to know my skill set so I say it to inform, not to brag in any way.

Logos 4 is different enough to have made me sort of wallow around aimlessly until I followed EVERY page of MP's 2 manuals.

There might be a middle ground - if you are truly a power user for version 3, and have watched ALL the videos, and follow the forums which you obviously do, then MAYBE you should get the second manual and skip the first. I am THRILLED I went through every word of the first though before starting the second. I gained insights in the "nature" of v4 that I needed and did not get from the videos.

I know shipping is high because we sell on eBay and I know all about the massive costs of postage to Australia. I would order both in a heartbeat if I was you though. Education is worth the price if you use Logos in a meaningful way. I do think MP Seminars might consider a downloadable product for their overseas buyers; that has some appeal although I am sure pirating is the fear. But if they only offer the books, I suggest you order them. you will be paying a lot; but you will not be OVER-paying for the value you get.

Greg

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 8:18 AM

I completely agree with Mark, these books are worth every penny.  Yes, I watch every video I can, and read every thing I can to learn the new system, and I love the free stuff out there it is great. 

However, I bought Logos to study the bible, not to spend day and night searching forums for answers to my questions.  The manuals provide answers to more questions about how to use the Logos 4 system than any place that I have seen, and there is an index in the back of each. 

It only takes a second to find my topic in the index and then check out the information, this was a real peace giver to me!  No more searching 5 or 10 or 20 minutes trying to find an answer to a problem that only takes 1 minute to read, now I can find the answer in a few seconds and spend the 1 minute reading it. And get back to my studies!

I would vote to have a pdf, of the manuals.

60.00 seems like a lot of money but on the other hand I spent nearly 500.00 on Camp Logos 1 and 2 plus every manual  I could get from Morris.  Those things where worth it too!  But this new system can be learned a lot faster and will cost a lot less to learn it, with these manuals.

This may not be everyone's experience, we are all different, but these are my observations and I use Logos every day for hours each day.

Listen to those that actually have used these resources not just to those that have ordered them and than didn't use them or worse yet those that have never even seen them.  They saved me a ton of time and frustration!  To me they are much better than his former manuals for Libronix 3.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 8:49 AM

I think it has been suggested before, but if the concern with a PDF version is piracy, why not publish the manuals as Logos 4 resources?  That would make piracy less an issue, and it would also provide an easy pathway for revisions to the manuals as Logos 4 adds and changes features.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 8:52 AM

Dudley C. Rose:
why not publish the manuals as Logos 4 resources?

Yes +1

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:24 AM

Manuals to be out-of-date as the "Missing Features" are added to L4.

I did order the manuals and found them to be fairly comprehensive. As a purchaser, I received a link to a special section with regular PDF updates to the manual witch will be updated as Logos gets updated. Although most of the material you can learn from videos, there are a few tidbits that are very useful. It is also nice to have a quick reference.

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:30 AM

I like the video from John Fallahee at :

http://www.learnlogos.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=60 

half the price.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:06 AM

JF,

John had a sample or two posted on a thread on the forum....the thread is worth checking out also.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:35 AM

As well as owning the 2 manuals, I also own the John Fallahee video, it is very helpful too! 

I think the two best parts of the manuals and John's videos are, not only do they have good information but it is in a format that allows you to find what you need quick ly and access it, read it or watch it and then get back to actually using your Logos 4 to study your bible.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 61
Adam Crafton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:58 AM

I ordered the Morris Proctor manuals and was surprised at the price and the price of shipping (even in the US - $12 I think but maybe Amazon has me spoiled!).  Anyway, the bigger disappointment was that they charged my credit card immediately but 8 days later when I hadn't received my books I sent an email asking what happened.  I was told that my books would ship out in another 3 or 4 days. . .I asked why they charged my card if they didn't even plan on shipping for almost two weeks.  The response I got was "we are a small company".  Ok, but it would seem like a small company would be a bit more diligent about charging/shipping.  I cancelled and got a refund and ordered the John Fallahee videos and have been very pleased at 1/4 of the price.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:24 AM

Dudley C. Rose:

I think it has been suggested before, but if the concern with a PDF version is piracy, why not publish the manuals as Logos 4 resources?  That would make piracy less an issue, and it would also provide an easy pathway for revisions to the manuals as Logos 4 adds and changes features.

i completely agree with Dudley, providing them as Logos 4 resources seems the obvious answer - especially for overseas customers!

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 1:40 PM

Are the video semonars by John "official" Logos videos or in anyway endorsed by Logos?

I am a little surprised MP hasn't yet offered a video/interactive style of manual. It would seem to me to be a far better way in which to learn.

Alas now I am confused, MP book or videos??? Well I think the books are far to expensive for me at this point... 

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:52 PM

I have seen no comments from Logos concerning John's video, but I can tell you this, i don't think that matters, the videos are very very good and it is easy to find what you are looking for.

However, I am still glad I bought both the books(over priced) as well as the video, they are different and it is very interesting to see how flexible this system is.

Seeing the same thing done different ways was very helpful for me to better understand the overall system and how I have more options than I thought I had,  to access things.

But Morris' books are like everything I have bought from his company over priced, but still worth getting because there is no competition, when it comes to knowledge of the system.

I would Love to see John do books and learning conferences, and see if his prices would be less, for the same amount of good materials.

If his video is any indication, His materials would be winners when it comes to value!

By the way Adam I have not liked some of Morris Proctor's companies policies either, but I always have overlooked them because of the value of the information and where could I get the same quality of information any where else.  Their response to my complaint of a poor quality video was the same as yours, "we are a small company".

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:09 PM

Dudley C. Rose:
why not publish the manuals as Logos 4 resources? 

An excellent suggestion, even though I already purchased the paper copies.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:20 PM

Would people recommend the 1 volume DVD (5 Hours) or the multiple DVD (55 hours)?

Posts 9437
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:32 PM

MarkStevens:
Would people recommend the 1 volume DVD (5 Hours) or the multiple DVD (55 hours)?

Mark, If you are refering to the Fallahee video there is only one. You could buy 11 of them to get 55 hours, however. Wink

There is a bundle of ten on John's site to use in a class setting or as gifts.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 5:00 PM

Whoops! Thanks for that Mark! Wow, that is a really good price then for one 5 hour DVD!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS