For L7: No restart on new resources

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 30 2014 12:48 PM

I was really hoping this would have been a part of L6, but I can wait until L7. Wink (I'd be okay if this worked its way somewhere between 6.1 and 6.3 too.)

I would really love it if Logos would not need to restart every time a new resource comes in. There has got to be a way to download, add to library and index without needing a restart. I understand that some of the core datasets would require a restart, but for your average vyrso book (especially), monograph (especially), dictionary or commentary, I have trouble understanding why the data of those resources would be tied to the runtime of the program such that the whole thing needed restarting.

I put my votes into UserVoice and urge everyone who agrees to do likewise.

I'm running L6 on a Mac, but my guess is the Windows version does the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:20 PM

William Gabriel:
There has got to be a way to download, add to library and index without needing a restart.

My votes are currently used up but...

Yes

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 1:24 PM

Windows version also restarts with each new or updated resource.

I'm not hugely bothered by that, it may be my computer speed... I can see where individuals with slower machines would be more bothered by this. One person on the "how long does it take" thread said it takes them nearly two minutes IIRC to restart Logos. That would drive me up a wall.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:20 PM

William Gabriel:
I understand that some of the core datasets would require a restart, but for your average vyrso book (especially), monograph (especially), dictionary or commentary, I have trouble understanding why the data of those resources would be tied to the runtime of the program such that the whole thing needed restarting.

Yes Yes I was just thinking the same thing.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:23 PM

I agree it's kind of annoying and I don't understand why it's necessary but I've kind of just accepted it and live with it.

I don't have any spare votes. Sorry.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 4:08 PM

Rosie Perera:

I agree it's kind of annoying and I don't understand why it's necessary but I've kind of just accepted it and live with it.

Why should the need to restart be surprising?  Don't you have to restart every time some program (such as your OS) is updated?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 4:36 PM

George Somsel:

Why should the need to restart be surprising?  Don't you have to restart every time some program (such as your OS) is updated?

1. Not every OS update leads to a reboot. In fact MS works very hard to avoid reboots. Reboots happen when files that need to be updated cannot be touched, e.g. operating in kernel mode.

2. Getting new resources is more frequent than the (on average) once-a-month OS update. At least I think F.L. wants us to buy more regularly than that.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 4:57 PM

Lee:
2. Getting new resources is more frequent than the (on average) once-a-month OS update. At least I think F.L. wants us to buy more regularly than that.

It seems that I can almost count on 1/wk reboots from MS.  You should buy every day—preferably several times/day.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 5:07 PM

George Somsel:

Rosie Perera:

When the program updates, sure, but not when the data files that it uses update. If I bought more clip-art for Office I wouldn't expect to have to restart Office to use it. Or if I install new fonts I don't have to restart Word to use them. Or if someone emails me a new document that I save on my hard disk, I don't have to restart Word to be able to open it and even to be able to search for it from the Windows Open dialog. Windows indexing happens all the time in the background and doesn't force restarts.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 5:17 PM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

Rosie Perera:

When the program updates, sure, but not when the data files that it uses update. If I bought more clip-art for Office I wouldn't expect to have to restart Office to use it. Or if I install new fonts I don't have to restart Word to use them. Or if someone emails me a new document that I save on my hard disk, I don't have to restart Word to be able to open it and even to be able to search for it from the Windows Open dialog. Windows indexing happens all the time in the background and doesn't force restarts.

C'mon, Rosie !  You should update reboot every other breath you take.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 5:50 PM

George Somsel:

What's this about every other breath?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 5:57 PM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

You may do it after EVERY breath if you prefer.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 6:53 PM

I know that a Logos competitor (their main competitor really, software begins with an A) never needs a restart when new resources are added. It never made sense to me that Logos would need to restart after merely adding a resource. For updates to the core datasets, maybe, especially if it is a major update. For major software updates on the other hand, I would definitely expect Logos to need a restart. For most software that merely adds resources, etc. (and not updates to the actual software) a restart is never required. Logos (in my mind anyway) really is the "odd man out" in comparison to other software in that it requires a restart whenever you add a resource. Sure I have gotten used to it. But it is annoying that Logos cannot just add resources and index them without a restart. It means pausing anything I am doing (whether research or leisure reading) just to add a resource. Then I have to wait for Logos to load. And because Logos uses so much computer resources for indexing (CPU, RAM, and Hard drive), that at times I literally cannot do anything else on my computer. Meanwhile, with A (Logos competitor) you just add the resource and it is done much faster than Logos. And you do not have to wait for resources to finish indexing to use them or to use the program. With Logos, you do. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 7:00 PM

George Somsel:

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

You may do it after EVERY breath if you prefer.  Big Smile

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Now THAT is excessive. Every other breath is not so excessive. But  every other breath...now that is just crossing the line into the world of excessive and unnecessary time waste. Wink

Posts 5625
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 5:42 AM

Like others here, I support this feature and think that it should be workable, but I'm out of UserVoice votes.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.”St. John of the Cross

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS