FYI: Send almost anything to Kindle from Logos

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 64
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 31 2014 1:15 AM

Logos’ new “Send to Kindle” feature is slick! You can send a Logos resource to your Kindle device and it arrives beautifully formatted as a “real” Kindle “book.” Unfortunately, not all Logos resources allow this (and, indeed, for many multi-volume sets it would probably be impractical).

Many Logos users may not be aware, however, that they can actually send to their Kindle virtually any thing that can be printed. This is especially handy when wanting to get a chapter or two onto your Kindle from those Logos resources that don't support the "Send to Kindle" feature.

First of all, anything that can be saved on your hard disk as one of the following file types can be sent to your Kindle via Amazon’s Personal Documents Service:

(as copied from Amazon’s site, see their website for instructions)

Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)

HTML (.HTML, .HTM)

RTF (.RTF)

Text (.TXT)

JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)

Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)

GIF (.GIF)

PNG (.PNG)

BMP (.BMP)

PDF (.PDF)

Even better, you can download Amazon’s “Send to Kindle” app (Mac or PC) and then just drag the saved document onto the app to send it.

Even better still is the fact that installing the “Send to Kindle” app also installs a print driver that allows you to print directly to “Send to Kindle” instead of to a physical printer. So anything that you can print in Logos (or any other application, for that matter) can be “printed” to your Kindle.

Cool!

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 5:06 AM

Yes, however, this functions differently than the Logos Send to Kindle.  The L6 Send to Kindle has resources that are already formatted correctly for the Kindle and Amazon doesn't have to "guess" the right formatting.

Posts 64
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 5:52 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Yes, however, this functions differently than the Logos Send to Kindle.  The L6 Send to Kindle has resources that are already formatted correctly for the Kindle and Amazon doesn't have to "guess" the right formatting.

You're absolutely right, David, which is why I start out by saying that "Send to Kindle" is a "slick" feature of Logos. However, with many (most ?) resources, "Send to Kindle" is not supported (i.e. not allowed). It is in these cases (the ones where the resource does not provide a "Send to Kindle" link), where you might find it useful to know that you can still get the information you require on your Kindle via Amazon's app. I guess I didn't make that point clear.

I wasn't really thinking in terms of something that you would keep permanently on the Kindle like a book you purchased from Amazon. I was thinking more along the lines of being able to grab a portion of a few commentaries, etc. (related to something you're currently working on in your office) to throw on your Kindle for a trip out of town, and such like.

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 6:26 AM

Larry Quinlan:

David Taylor Jr:

You're absolutely right, David, which is why I start out by saying that "Send to Kindle" is a "slick" feature of Logos. However, with many (most ?) resources, "Send to Kindle" is not supported (i.e. not allowed). It is in these cases (the ones where the resource does not provide a "Send to Kindle" link), where you might find it useful to know that you can still get the information you require on your Kindle via Amazon's app. I guess I didn't make that point clear.

I wasn't really thinking in terms of something that you would keep permanently on the Kindle like a book you purchased from Amazon. I was thinking more along the lines of being able to grab a portion of a few commentaries, etc. (related to something you're currently working on in your office) to throw on your Kindle for a trip out of town, and such like.

Ah then yes!  By all means people do that! :)

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 6:33 AM

Larry Quinlan:
However, with many (most ?) resources, "Send to Kindle" is not supported (i.e. not allowed).

Are you sure about that? There are some, but it seems to me that every resource that's available on mobile devices can also be sent to Kindle, unless it's over a particular size limitation. So your tip is still useful, especially for sending, say, a particular article of a very large encyclopedia. But my experience has been that for monographs, the built in function is almost always available.

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 7:20 AM

Mitchell:

Larry Quinlan:
However, with many (most ?) resources, "Send to Kindle" is not supported (i.e. not allowed).

Are you sure about that? There are some, but it seems to me that every resource that's available on mobile devices can also be sent to Kindle, unless it's over a particular size limitation. So your tip is still useful, especially for sending, say, a particular article of a very large encyclopedia. But my experience has been that for monographs, the built in function is almost always available.

agreed

Posts 64
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 2:39 PM

David Taylor Jr:
Are you sure about that?

No, just my anecdotal (and brief) experience. My default layout in Logos opens up with following resources active (in tabs).

KJV, Wordstudy KJV, ESL, Complete WS Dictionary NT, Complete WS Dictionary OT, Swanson's Dict. of Biblical Langs. NT, Vine's Complete, Swanson's Dict. of Biblical Langs. Hebrew, Swanson's Dict. of Biblical Langs. Aramaic, Holman's Ill. Bible Dict., NTSK, and Nelson's Study Bible: NKJV, and JFB Commentary.

Of the above 13 resources the following 2 have "Send to Kindle" available:

Swanson's Dict. of Biblical Langs. NT, Swanson's Dict. of Biblical Langs. Aramaic

Interestingly, Swanson's Hebrew does not support "Send to Kindle", at least in my SR-2 Logos 6 current situation.

I don't have a large Logos library, compared to most, it seems, but with 921 resources I haven't checked out most of them. A quick look at my commentaries is yielding about 50% rate of "Send to Kindle" capabilities. 

I guess it's a case of YMMV. Hmm

Posts 64
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 2:42 PM

Oops, sorry for the error in attribution... My above quote was from Mitchell. Stick out tongue

Posts 30677
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 2:46 PM

Larry Quinlan:

Oops, sorry for the error in attribution... My above quote was from Mitchell. Stick out tongue

You can fix it by editing your post. You can either delete the name between the quotes, or try again and delete the middle stuff (which attributed the post to David).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30677
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 2:53 PM

In the screen shot, notice the two green boxes. These show the syntax to quote someone. In this case, Mitchell quotes you (Larry), so there is an addition set of quotes. you can delete all of the yellow to show just Mitchell's quote.

Posts 64
Larry Quinlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 3:22 PM

alabama24:
You can fix it

Thanks, Alabama...

I was being lazy...um...less than efficient. Wink

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 7:33 PM

Formal charges of plagiarism are forthcoming, once I find a lawyer that will accept payment in the form of theological ramblings.

Posts 30677
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 7:42 PM

Alabama24:

Formal charges of plagiarism are forthcoming, once I find a lawyer that will accept payment in the form of theological ramblings.

Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS