What hardware should I get?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 1 2014 10:37 AM

I study Verbum/Logos on a laptop (HP Pavilion) and I sometimes use it on an iPad (IOS 5), however I would like to get hardware to read Kindle books, other e books and study Logos/Verbum.  I do not think a Kindle reader would be my preferred option, as it seems limited, what would you recommend for me?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 10:41 AM

You can download the Kindle app for your ipad. 

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 11:20 AM

Fredc

many thanks.

I imagine the Kindle app would only be suitable for Kindle books, but I would like to be able to read other e books and study Verbum.

Also with IOS 5 I cannot get the KIndle app on my iPad. Would another tablet type of hardware suit me better?

Posts 9474
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 11:29 AM

Noel, if you want hardware to do all that you can upgrade to IOS 8 (or get an iPad that supports it). I don't know what the Android options are. More expensive would be an ultra book like an Acer Aspire. I think we have some users that have had decent results with the latter.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 12:07 PM

Is there a particular reason you have not updated your iOS to a more current version?

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 1:58 PM

Steve,

the answer to your question is a yes, $, £ or EURO.  Take your pick.  I am annoyed at Apple in trying to force people to spend more money.  I believe that an iPad which is relatively new should not be made obsolete.  I think, as with Logos, upgrades should be reasonable. Preventing me from using apps is not ethical.

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:00 PM

Again Mark, my answer is cost.  I think Apple is trying to force me to spend, and I do not like to be bullied. Hence I am drifting towards an Android solution.

Posts 5256
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:07 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:

Again Mark, my answer is cost.  I think Apple is trying to force me to spend, and I do not like to be bullied. Hence I am drifting towards an Android solution.

Frying pans and Fires spring to mind.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:24 PM

Mike,

many thanks.

I need to reflect on the exegesis of frying pans and fires.

Is it something like Scylla and Charybdis?

But does iPad = Frying Pan and Android = Fire or vice versa?

I also think of the  terrible trouble Adam and Eve had with the Apple option.

Posts 1133
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:33 PM

I use a Nexus 7 (2013) which is an Android device sold by Google and others. Get the 2013 version as it has a 1080p screen. It has a 7" screen which I find perfect for reading. You can use Logos, Vyrso, Verbum, Kindle, Acrobat, Nook, and Aldiko reading apps. All work great and you can read any file format from any source.

Posts 29346
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 1 2014 2:35 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:
I think Apple is trying to force me to spend, and I do not like to be bullied. Hence I am drifting towards an Android solution.

Be my guest. But Apple is not "bullying" you or forcing you to spend more money. Rather, Apple strives to make an EXCELLENT experience. There are users in the Logos forums who are griping that their iPad was able to update to a version of the app which it probably should not have been able to be updated to. All iPads (including the iPad 2) are compatible with the most current version of iOS (8.1) with the exception of the original device (which unfortunately you have). Android is MUCH more fractured, and most devices are not able to update to the most recent version of Android. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS