Searching collections often produces no results

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 4:56 AM

I am finding that when I search certain collections that I've created, that it produces no results.  These are collections I created in Logos 5, and the searches performed perfectly.  But now with Logos 6, the searches show no results.

Any suggestions?

Posts 2305
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 4:59 AM

I ran a search for grace on my theological journal library. The drop down brought up grace-topic, grace-noun and grace. The topic works for dictionary type resources, the noun for bible sense and just grace works for a text search. I suspect you chose the topic and ran a search on non-dictionary resources. Smart search is helpful, but can get in the way if you are not careful in what you select to search or do not understand the limitations of the selection.

If this is not your problem, then get back.

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:02 AM

Mark A. Copeland:
I am finding that when I search certain collections that I've created, that it produces no results.

Can you provide some more details?

• What resources are contained in the collections?
  • What search are you doing against the collections?
  • Can you show screenshots with this information?

Posts 3220
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:10 AM

I was having the same issue- Try basic, switch "everything" to the collection you want- then topis or word in search- mine worked using this method, also if L6 is indexing it will not show results- that was my issue.

Hope this helps a little.

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:17 AM

John Fidel:

I ran a search for grace on my theological journal library. The drop down brought up grace-topic, grace-noun and grace. The topic works for dictionary type resources, the noun for bible sense and just grace works for a text search. I suspect you chose the topic and ran a search on non-dictionary resources. Smart search is helpful, but can get in the way if you are not careful in what you select to search or do not understand the limitations of the selection.

If this is not your problem, then get back.

Thank you for your quick reply, John, but a simple search for the word "grace" (i.e., not a smart search) still produces no results. 

I wonder if the search feature for Logos 6 required some re-tagging of resources, and that perhaps Logos has not gotten around if there may be some resources that have yet to be re-tagged in order to show up in the new smart search at all.

For example, I have a collection of Spurgeon's sermons, did a simple search for the word "church" and it produced 106 results.  I have another collection of Maclaren's sermons, but when I do a simple search for the word "church" it produced no results.  Could Spurgeon's books be re-tagged, and Maclaren's books not?  I wonder...

Posts 2305
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 5:47 AM

I do not have the Maclaren sermons so I cannot test it for you. I will leave this thread to others who may know more about the specific resources that you are having problems with.

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 6:12 AM

Mark A. Copeland:
For example, I have a collection of Spurgeon's sermons, did a simple search for the word "church" and it produced 106 results.  I have another collection of Maclaren's sermons, but when I do a simple search for the word "church" it produced no results.  Could Spurgeon's books be re-tagged, and Maclaren's books not?  I wonder...

Simple searches don't need special tagging. So, either:

1. Indexing hasn't finished (or it got stopped part way though).
  2. There's something wrong with your collection or search.

A screenshot would help us work out which was the case.

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 6:31 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mark A. Copeland:
I am finding that when I search certain collections that I've created, that it produces no results.

Can you provide some more details?

• What resources are contained in the collections?
  • What search are you doing against the collections?
  • Can you show screenshots with this information?

Graham, here are some screenshots:

First, one that shows on the left a simple text search for "church" in my "Sermons Charles Spurgeon" Collection.  On the right is the Collections tool showing how I created the Spurgeon collection:

Second, one that shows on the left a simple text search for "church" in my "Sermons Alexander Maclaren" Collection.  On the right is the Collections tool showing how I created the Maclaren collection:

Finally, another screen shot showing another oddity:  one that shows on the left a simple text search for "church" in my "Commenaries" Collection.  On the right is the Collections tool showing how I created the Commentaries collection:

Notice in the above screen shot that now the search is producing results from Spurgeon's sermon rather than any results from my commentaries!  This anomaly where the Spurgeon results show up occurs with searching other collections as well, though searching some collections still produce no results at all.

Thanks to one and all for any input on this problem!

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 6:43 AM

Hi Mark

Mark A. Copeland:

Sorry, but no screenshots

Please try again using the paperclip icon in the reply editor.

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 6:46 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Mark

Mark A. Copeland:

Sorry, but no screenshots

Please try again using the paperclip icon in the reply editor.

Thanks, Graham, I edited the above post and I believe the screenshots now appear.

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 6:54 AM

Mark A. Copeland:
Thanks, Graham, I edited the above post and I believe the screenshots now appear.

Thanks Mark

Intriguing and baffling!

What happens if you execute a search for "church" in "All Resources"? Do you get more than the results in your Spurgeon's Commentaries?

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:27 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mark A. Copeland:

Thanks Mark

Intriguing and baffling!

What happens if you execute a search for "church" in "All Resources"? Do you get more than the results in your Spurgeon's Commentaries?

Here's what I got, Graham:

You would think the word "church" would create more results in a library with almost 5,000 books! Wink

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 7:58 AM

Mark A. Copeland:
You would think the word "church" would create more results in a library with almost 5,000 books! Wink

Looks to me like an indexing problem.

Suggest you either enable diagnostic logging and post logs after trying a search or execute the command "rebuild index" (and you'll probably end up having to do that anyway). This could take some time I'm afraid.

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:14 AM

Graham Criddle:

I agree. rebuild index is the solution here, I think (unless there are downloads pending, in which case I'd download/install the downloads and wait for those to finish indexing, to see if that helps).

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 8:15 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mark A. Copeland:

Suggest you either enable diagnostic logging and post logs after trying a search or execute the command "rebuild index" (and you'll probably end up having to do that anyway). This could take some time I'm afraid.

I'll try rebuilding the index.

Posts 54
Mark A. Copeland | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 1:46 PM

Mark A. Copeland:

Graham Criddle:

Mark A. Copeland:

I'll try rebuilding the index.

Rebuilding the index worked.  Thanks!

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 2:28 PM

Mark A. Copeland:
Rebuilding the index worked.  Thanks!

Good news - and thanks for letting us know

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS