You have to pay for KJV?

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 64 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 12:37 PM

To join in beating this dead horse. Yes the KJV is more or less in PD... But Logos has tagged the KJV and has added in value, value which others have also added in for free, but it is Logos right to charge what they like. For people who like the poetic and archaic vernacular of the KJV that is their choice, they may even feel the received texts are superior to others, again their choice. The debate of this thread should never have been the usefulness or worth of the KJV translation, but the cost of this widely freely available version in Logos. Logos has enhanced the text with tagging, Logos has a right to charge for this even if it was for no other reason than they have put it into their proprietary format and are distributing it. The real question should perhaps be if I value the KJV translation and wish to use it in Logos why am I unwilling to pay $10 for it? 

-Dan

Posts 15
Kevin Richards | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 2:50 PM

It's really a dead horse Dan. 

Dan Francis:

... But Logos has tagged the KJV and has added in value, value which others have also added in for free, but it is Logos right to charge what they like. 

This argument is the dead horse. Lets face the truth. The reason Logos is charging for the KJV is purly a business decision. Most businesses will not give away a best seller for free. Even if you charge a dollar per copy an all-time best seller will make you money. If it was a matter of the cost to produce it, then the over six hundred (600) resources they offer for free (which cost more than the KJV to produce), they could simply remove some of them from the free listing and put the KJV there.

What I, and I believe others are saying is that in keeping with logos mission statement this action does not agree (Our mission is to serve the church. We do this by fostering a culture of service and innovation, bycreating Bible study tools that connect people to the Word, and by hiring awesome, fun people..)

Dan Francis:

For people who like the poetic and archaic vernacular of the KJV that is their choice,... 

-Dan

By this statement it would seem you have not interacted deeply with the KJV in study. But let me refrain from assuming I would love to know the premise on which you base this statement. None-the-less, if you objectively look at the issues of translations, it would be hard to walk away with such view of the KJV.  I love the NIV, that is until it fails in the arena of holding up fundamental truths of the Word of God. Take the time out to read the purpose for which some of these new translations were created and you wont have to look very far to see a problem.

Let's let this horse rest in peace and let Logos speak on the matter and put all arguments to rest.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 4:07 PM

Kevin Richards:
By this statement it would seem you have not interacted deeply with the KJV in study.

On the contrary i use the KJV often and spent the first 15 years of my life virtually using nothing at all beyond my father's Scofield's Study Bible. If you have to look to a 400 year old translation to hold up a truth is it really much of a truth. Now i can see how one must go back to the greek and hebrew to support a truth because languages change and there are no full equivalent for most greek/hebrew words. The Amplified Bible did well showing this by trying to broaden out more important words to show their fuller meaning. There are numerous phrases in the KJV version that would lead many people to a wrong conclusion. Suffer the little children, is one that pops to mind, while the word suffer is meaning allow, it has been used within popular media as a reference that children should be made to suffer. Perhaps one day Logos may offer the KJV for free but I do not see it happening anytime soon. And much like the original author of this thread I would much prefer the NKJV if I am looking for reading the received text.

-Dan

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 4:12 PM

Daniel:
The KJV is PD and should be free regardless of what Logos thinks. That said, I do not hate Logos. I really like the app on the iPad. I love all the resources it has, albeit, many of the more useful ones are only available online, which is another reason I left Logos. I went to the other Bible software because their resources are available in the app. I like that. I like having everything available to me without having to take my phone, turn on a hotspot, and going online, just to check something, then turning off the hotspot and going back to reading. I just don't want people to think I am bashing Logos at all.

I am confused as to what you are posting for. You left Logos and say you are happy with your new software. Why bother coming here? Are you saying you would come back to Logos if you could get the KJV for free? I am just wondering.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 4:17 PM

Ant. Tell me, Panthino, what sad talk was that 1
Wherewith my brother held you in the cloister? 2

Pant. ’Twas of his nephew Proteus, your son. 3

Ant. Why, what of him? 4

Pant. He wonder’d that your lordship
Would suffer him to spend his youth at home, 5
While other men, of slender reputation, 6
Put forth their sons to seek preferment out:

Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen of Verona", Act I, Scene III

Of course, that's of about the same time as the AV (AKA: KJV)

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS