Logos Mac Yosemite Networking bug is Probably in Mono

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 65
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 4 2014 5:13 AM

I put this in General because it seems to affect Logos 5 AND 6 on Yosemite. 

For some reason on both Logos 5 and 6 downloads inside the app do not complete. The LogosIndexer randomly stops downloading. Only seems to apply to large downloads. And only on Yosemite.

I suspect that the bug is in the Mono Networking framework. Or at least in how it interacts with Yosemite. 

Reasoning:

1) The bug appears in Yosemite only

2) the bug appears in Logos 5 and 6 only

3) the bug is reproducible with BOTH wi-fi and ethernet (i.e. it is not related to the KNOWN wi-fi bug (which btw I have never seen on my box).

4) the bug does not appear in any other app on my system. I get fast downloads that don't stall or stop on all my apps that do not use Mono. 

If someone posts the osxdaily link in this thread I am going to be very annoyed. The problem is NOT and I repeat NOT related to that bug. 

A possible way to test this is to write a simple Mono app that tries to download a large Logos resource file from the server and also write a native app for Yosemite that does the same and test which one works as advertised.

Posts 13391
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 5:24 AM

Robert le Clus:
A possible way to test this is to write a simple Mono app that tries to download a large Logos resource file from the server and also write a native app for Yosemite that does the same and test which one works as advertised.

We've already been told that the download part of the software is written in native code.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93214/647388.aspx#647388 

Posts 28131
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 5:39 AM

Robert le Clus:

1) The bug appears in Yosemite only

2) the bug appears in Logos 5 and 6 only

3) the bug is reproducible with BOTH wi-fi and ethernet (i.e. it is not related to the KNOWN wi-fi bug (which btw I have never seen on my box).

4) the bug does not appear in any other app on my system.

All true. I have not idea if it is "mono" related, but I trust Mark.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13391
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 6:01 AM

alabama24:
I trust Mark.

Don't trust me with Macs. I know nothing. I was just quoting Bradley.

Posts 22
Christian Bongartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 7:10 AM

I've been able to reproduce this behaviour twice using Safari and downloading the exact same resources as Logos was when it stalled on the download.

See my reply here: 649569.aspx

Logos was closed down. I'm not so sure if it is entirely a mono issue. I've also been using different connections not only wifi. Plus I've had this happen with L5 on Mavericks. I stay in Africa and so our internet connections are not as good, sometimes we have extremely high latencies, up to almost 1 sec for some requests.

Possibly the bug has something to do with that.

Posts 65
Robert le Clus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 7:56 AM

Hmmm. 

Well I was trying to diagnose the problem. If my ideas are faulty, so be it :D Unfortunately I never encountered the problem on Mavericks (I have been running Yosemite since June) so thats a piece of information I didn't have available. 

Africa is a big place :D I'm in South Africa. And yes our internet is not the best. Which is why I wish for the old days when you could order a Media DVD from Logos and install from there. I did that with Logos 3 I think :D

I just wish I could get all my resources downloaded. And indexed. and running. Would love to take the new interface for a spin. However I have been downloaded resources for the past few days. Having to watch Activity Monitor and kill the indexer every few minutes and try again. Getting excited when 200Mb gets downloaded and then the restart seems to indicate only 100Mg change in the still to be downloaded amount. Sitting at 450Mb to go. Who knows. By next week I might be able to use the software. 

I guess my logic was good but my premises were faulty :(

Posts 22
Christian Bongartz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:53 AM

I am in Malawi. Just a little north from you. I managed to manually download my resources. Mark Barnes has a description in this thread that could help 

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/94040.aspx

Posts 5270
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:12 AM

I am not sure what the problem is... I will give Logos the benefit of the doubt that it is Yosemite's fault. That said it is annoying I cannot get the late 450 MB of downloading done. And I am not having internet issues with any other program on my MBP.

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS