Need for a Logos lite version

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 5 2014 5:02 AM

I am in Europe (so my computer technology is 2 years behind US - please note, Logos developers).  I want to read books and lots of them.  But Logos is slow ... and getting slower with each new version. Whilst I have a notepad specifically designed for programs like Logos, it's now 3 years old and Logos goes very slowly.  Anyone else interested in Logos just running more quickly as the main thing to be focussed on?

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 5:46 AM

A friend of mine in London was able to buy brand new alienware laptops made in the US, and shipped to UK. So I don't understand the idea that europe is two years behind. However you might be able to upgrade your laptop/pc/mac in specific ways to increase Logos performance.

Firstly you'll want an x64 bit processor. Second at lest 4, but preferably 8gb or more of ram (I run 22gb - ram is about 80$ us for 8 gb or about 10$ a gb). Finally and most importantly the best upgrade you can make is to a solid state disk. Those are becoming increasingly reasonable - 256gb for ~100$.

Your mileage may vary on the prices... But a hundred dollars here, and a hundred dollars there into your computer can help extend the time between replacement.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 6:05 AM

Paul Chatfield:
I want to read books and lots of them.

If your priority is simply reading you may want to consider an ios or android tablet running one of the mobile apps. I find my ipad much better for simply reading.

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 8:52 AM

Got the x64, 8gb but I probably need SSD.  Will upgrade the laptop at some point so my next version has this but I guess I just fear that within 1-2 years I'll lack the next latest technology to run Logos quickly.  Let's turn the issue round: is Logos really quick for any of you?

Posts 759
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 8:56 AM

I have an SSD and it made a huge difference.

Really quick? Mostly, I would say yes.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 9479
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 9:03 AM

Paul Chatfield:
 Let's turn the issue round: is Logos really quick for any of you?

Paul, I have an almost 4 year old laptop running Windows 7. I have an i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM HDD. If I had less RAM or a 5400 RPM drive I would be having trouble with Logos (my older machine trying to run L4), but I do not.

There are some thing one can do to trying to make Logos run a little faster. You'll find them here.

A 'lite' version of Logos exists as biblia.com.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 9:12 AM

Paul Chatfield:
I am in Europe (so my computer technology is 2 years behind US

???

I suspect the average Swede is ahead of, not behind, the average American when it comes to computer technology. And last I checked, Sweden was still in Europe.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 9:59 AM

Its quick on my computer.

Searches are ~20% faster, big searches are 300% faster.

But then I have lots of Ram, and an SSD.

It is designed to bridge the gap between older machines (like my dinosaur of a laptop), and newer machines like my desktop so that older machines don't have too hard of a time, but so that newer machines can better utilize the extra horsepower.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 2:11 PM

Paul, 

Others have said this, but I would like to echo their sentiments. An SSD is the best investment you can make when using any intensive program, but especially a library resource like Logos. Startup is quick and there is no discernible lag, even when using my laptop (only 4GB of RAM). I highly recommend the upgrade if possible. 

Posts 2711
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 5:02 PM

I have one box that relies on an 7200 drive and it's pretty quick. A whole lot of trouble can be avoided by routine maintenance and turning off junkware you really don't need.

An SSD is a great idea.

Another thing is that if you have a complex layout, it's going to slow you down. Even L4 was fast if you did some plain searches.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 5 2014 11:57 PM

Thanks guys.  Rather than upgrading my current one, I'll ensure my new one has these features.

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 3:56 AM

Jonathan J Watson:

Paul, 

Others have said this, but I would like to echo their sentiments. An SSD is the best investment you can make when using any intensive program, but especially a library resource like Logos. Startup is quick and there is no discernible lag, even when using my laptop (only 4GB of RAM). I highly recommend the upgrade if possible. 

Paul, I concur that an SSD is a great way to give an extra few years life to an ageing laptop.  While I have an i5 processor with 8GB RAM, 2GB graphics card, and an 250GB SSD and three monitors for my main work PC (using three large monitors was one of the main reasons to get a new deskop a couple of years ago), I also use my six-year old Dell laptop (with the inferior integrated graphics and 4GB RAM).  However, I've got a 128GB SSD in it alongside a conventional hard drive (it has two hard drive bays), and it operates surprisingly fast. It's not as fast as my main setup, but the SSD has made the laptop usable without the frustration of really slow speed that I was experiencing using Logos and other programs when not at my desk. 

To be honest, I would even go so far as to say that I don't have any future plans to upgrade my laptop for when I use it out and about or at church, as it is working well enough at present. 

However, I appreciate that the speed of a newer laptop might be an issue if using a slower one (even with an SSD) all the time.  But for performance benefit versus cost, I think that you can't beat simply upgrading to or adding an SSD. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS