Search in 6

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1517
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 9:58 AM

Josh Hunt:

None of my Greek versions had any results. (I tried 4 na27 and one na28)

Try with the SBLGNT. That's the base text for these types of tagging.

I'm not sure if Faithlife has plans to line up the other Greek editions with the tagging in the SBLGNT... hopefully so!

Posts 821
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:02 AM

Where do I go to learn all the syntax for these kind of searches?  

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} WITHIN {Section <LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>}

Posts 1517
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:14 AM

Josh Hunt:

This is cool, but. . . 

If feels like you have to be a programmer to really use Logos. I wish there was a way to get to this kind of search using user-friendly drop down menus and radio buttons. 

I agree with you - hopefully for Logos & Verbum 7 (or sooner) we can have an advanced search pane where these can be constructed using dropdowns and such.

But, until then, here are a couple of tricks that can help.

Oftentimes, but not always (yet), you can right click, select the tag like "Literary Types" or "Persons", and then run a search, and your query will be constructed for you. 

For example, I discovered that the Literary Types had the Old Testament Quotations when I ran a Passage Guide on Matthew 1-5. Try it out. In the Literary Types section, right click on a Literary Type. Then select the Literary Type in the context menu. You'll get an option to search for that Literary Type.

Here's the search that will be built for you automatically: {Section <LiteraryTyping = Quotation, Old Testament>}

Similarly, if you right click on the name of a person, you can do the same with the Person tag, or other tags that might be present:

Which will create the search for <Person Jesus> (these are also available in the dropdown in the search itself, just typing the name). 

The Wiki hasn't yet been updated with all the new commands, and a quick search through the built in Help of Verbum also indicated that this type of search is not in there yet, either. I don't think there is a comprehensive place yet for learning these searches, but hopefully there will be soon.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:23 AM

Josh Hunt:

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} WITHIN {Section <LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>}

Josh,

This thread might help to a certain extent: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/94301.aspx

Posts 1517
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:27 AM

The {Speaker} queries can be created from the right click menu as well. Running a search after selecting the speaker icon like this...

...will create this query:

{Speaker <Person Jesus>}

So, the entire query to search for Jesus quoting the OT can in theory be created by right clicking, running searches, and then combining the automatically created search queries with the WITHIN operator.

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:40 PM

Josh Hunt:

Josh,

I don't know if you saw it or not, but this is exactly why I posted this thread-

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/93927.aspx

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:34 PM

For some reason my search do not complete. I followed the screenshots to the letter, but when I click on search, I do not get any results. The little black boxes next to bible results just keep on scrolling. I have waited more than 5 minutes, but still no result. Strange

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:38 PM

Sarel Slabbert:

For some reason my search do not complete. I followed the screenshots to the letter, but when I click on search, I do not get any results. The little black boxes next to bible results just keep on scrolling. I have waited more than 5 minutes, but still no result. Strange

My search finally completed. According to Logos it took 203 seconds to complete, but according to my clock it took more than 5 minutes. Anyway, does anyone else experience a time delay like this? I ran the search a few times and it takes this long every time. Perhaps this is normal for these types of searches? Still a great feature!

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:47 PM

A great way to quickly determine which search fields are available for a resource is to open the resource and click the Info button top right. It will show all the Search Fields for that resource.  For instance:

LEB - Can search Bible Text, Footnote Text, Heading Text, Large Text, and Surface Text.

ESV  - Bible Text, Cross Reference, Footnote Text, Heading Text, Large Text, Surface Text, Translator's Notes, and Words of Christ.

HCSB - Abbreviation Pop-up, Bible Text, Cross Reference, Disputed Passage, Footnote Text, General Note, Heading Text, Large Text, OT Quotation,  Surface Text, Translator's Notes, Words of Christ

NASB95 - Bible Text, Cross Reference, Footnote Text, Heading Text, Large Text, Surface Text, Translator's Note, Words of Christ.

This works for all resources and can really help to see what possible searches can be done with which resources. It would have been nice to have a list of Searchable Fields and which resources (i.e. Bibles) could do that search.

Posts 1517
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:58 PM

Sarel Slabbert:

My search finally completed. According to Logos it took 203 seconds to complete, but according to my clock it took more than 5 minutes. Anyway, does anyone else experience a time delay like this? I ran the search a few times and it takes this long every time. Perhaps this is normal for these types of searches? Still a great feature!

Whenever you search for * you can expect to wait a long time.

That is one of the reasons that the better option is the new version 6 syntax: {Speaker <Person Jesus>} WITHIN {Section <LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>}, which is very fast. The other advantage of this new type of search is that it can be applied to pretty much any Bible that has a reverse interlinear.

BTW, for a quite complete list of the search fields, check here: https://wiki.logos.com/Search_Fields_List. But, know that Faithlife doesn't use search fields that much anymore, and are moving more towards advanced tagging features that combine search extensions, datatypes, and labels (cf. here for a bit more on that). 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 4:28 AM

Mark Barnes:

Josh Hunt:

None of my Greek versions had any results. (I tried 4 na27 and one na28)

Bibles need to be rebuilt for this to work. SBL Greek NT, Byzantine, Lexham Discourse and Lexham Interlinear SBL are the only ones so far.

Found two Spanish, four Greek (matches Mark's list), and eleven English Bibles currently have appropriate tagging for search:

Added Search to Favorites.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 6:39 AM

Josh Hunt:

This is cool, but. . . 

If feels like you have to be a programmer to really use Logos. I wish there was a way to get to this kind of search using user-friendly drop down menus and radio buttons. 

I agree Josh. It would be nice if there was a way to select search parameters similar to the way we do for syntax searches or morph searches.

Posts 9235
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:44 PM

I finally had time to carefully go through this thread and test out these searches for myself. Thanks for everyone who contributed to this. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:49 PM

Bookmarking this thread. Thank you Fr. Devin Roza

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 9:47 AM

I nominate Fr Devin as Logos Search Trainer of the Year!

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 9:51 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Josh Hunt:

This is cool, but. . . 

I agree with you - hopefully for Logos & Verbum 7 (or sooner) we can have an advanced search pane where these can be constructed using dropdowns and such.

Yes

There used to be a way to construct complex searches using a dialog box with radio buttons and such in Logos 3, but they never implemented that in Logos 4 and up. I do hope something like that comes back. There's so much power under the hood in Logos that average users never get exposed to because they don't want to learn a geeky syntax, or don't even know that such a geeky syntax exists. It's not the type of thing you can discover on your own when exploring the user interface to get to know the software. And even for us geeks, it's hard to remember all the syntax. Like with MS Word's fields. I helped write Word and even I can't remember the field syntax, so I use the Insert Field dialog often when I need to use a field with parameters.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 17 2014 9:51 AM

Rosie Perera:

SecondYes

Posts 1046
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 8:43 AM

Rosie Perera:

YesYes

Posts 9235
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 4:41 PM

JohnB:

Rosie Perera:

YesYes

YesYesYes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1046
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 12:57 PM

Just been playing ...

works ok of course but swopping terms does not

{<LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>} WITHIN {Section Speaker <Person Jesus>}

There is something that I don't understand that will be so clear when I am enlightened & I feel an idiot so please someone make me feel an idiot - at least I will learn!

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS