Search in 6

Page 3 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 50 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 25661
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 1:36 PM

JohnB:
{<LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>} WITHIN {Section Speaker <Person Jesus>}

There's some invalid syntax. Should be

{Section <LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>} WITHIN {Speaker <Person Jesus>}

The {extension} syntax doesn't work with <datatype> alone. {Section} and {Speaker} are different extensions.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 1:58 PM

And even with the correct syntax the results will be different as the extent of the first term needs to be completed contained inside the second

Posts 1045
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 2:28 PM

Thanks ...
I said I would feel an idiot, I had read that three times and did not spot the missing word.  ...

Graham,
From what you are saying, nether set of results is 'correct' as there is no 'correct' answer. With any search of this type one needs to use ones own judgment in the final analysis.

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 2:37 PM

JohnB:

From what you are saying, nether set of results is 'correct' as there is no 'correct' answer. With any search of this type one needs to use ones own judgment in the final analysis.

I would say it is more to do with what you are looking for.

Are you looking for every OT quotation in words of Jesus or are you looking for all the words of Jesus fully contained in an OT quotation?

they are different questions and so would give different answers

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 19 2014 3:19 PM

The reason there is a variation in results is because LiteraryType tags whole verses, whereas Speaker labels are more precise.

So Matthew 4:4 looks like this:

<LiteraryType=QOT>Jesus answered, <Speaker=Jesus>“It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”</Speaker></LiteraryType>

So, Speaker WITHIN LiteraryType would return the verse, but LiteraryType WITHIN Speaker would not.

In practice, LiteraryType=QOT WITHIN Speaker=Jesus will only return results where the entire verse consists of Jesus' speech.

Posts 1045
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 1:43 AM

OK.
I see precisely what went wrong with my thinking now -  sloppy thinking.
I certainly need to be very clear as to what question I am asking. Both of your answers were very useful and complementary.

Posts 1517
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 2:05 AM

Rosie Perera:

I nominate Fr Devin as Logos Search Trainer of the Year!

Thank you, Rosie and others. It is a joy to help out in this little community trying to get to know better the Word of God.

Posts 673
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 6:22 PM

I may be missing how to do this, but it would be great to have the ability to automatically insert the Old Testament Scripture References in these search functions. Nice to have as a handout.

Posts 25661
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 20 2014 8:43 PM

Frank Sauer:
it would be great to have the ability to automatically insert the Old Testament Scripture References in these search functions

A search can identify where they are but extracting them is a manual task e.g. in bibles they can be found in footnotes. They can also be found in LLS:OTQUOTESINNT (OT Quotes in the NT) but good luck extracting them. On the web I found this list which you can easily copy and Add to a Passage List (from clipboard). Sort the list to separate NT from OT and then delete the NT references.

But you could keep the NT references in another PL and compare them against the passages you get from the Search {Section <LiteraryType Quotation, Old Testament>}, as the web list includes all OT Quotations. Then you can be selective about accepting NT passages you don't get from your search.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1707
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2015 4:00 PM

I think I would have to buy another book to do this for me or use the internet.

All these searches within Logos are just...sorry...way too complicated for my small brain.

Posts 25661
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2015 4:20 PM

JoshInRI:
.sorry...way too complicated for my small brain.

It gets that way for "experts" as well!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 3 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS