Logos 6 Download and Indexing Issues

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Doug Jefferys | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 6 2014 10:40 AM

I just upgraded to Logos 6 on a MacBook Air. I opened it to let it download additional content and index, but it's been almost three days straight, and the process does not look like it's going well. Here are the symptoms:

• At first, it said it was downloading around 1.5 GB of content. Over the next day or so, that increased to over 4 GB. Is this increase in pending download content normal? Why didn't it know how much it was going to download at first?
  • The percentage indicator increased at a snail's pace. 
  • The activity monitor said a process called LogosCEF had stopped responding. The index process was chewing up lots of CPU. 
  • The little Air got hot and its fan was whirring away. I began to be concerned about cooking the components inside for all that time (overnight and all day). 
  • I finally shut down Logos and rebooted. The download process seemed to run faster, and the LogosCEF process seemed to be working. But later I noticed LogosCEF was once again not responding and everything ground to a halt. 
  • After quitting Logos, the Logos icon in the menu bar remained showing download progress -- which did not seem to be incrementing very quickly. Is the menu bar icon supposed to remain even if the app is not running?

I am not sure if I have an issue, or if this is normal behavior. 

Do downloading and indexing run concurrently, or should I expect all content to download first, then index?

I know everything should take awhile, but this seems extreme. 

Why does LogosCEF stop working? Should I shut it down when it does?

It would help if someone could evaluate all this mess and give me an idea if what I'm seeing is normal. Is there something else I can check, or some other process I can follow?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 10:57 AM

Doug, sorry for the struggle. Many Mac users are experiencing it and there have been many posts here on the forum about it. Logos has posted a page about this issue here. That page will link you to another page with some suggestions.

I do not own a Mac so can't offer any suggestions outside those. Perhaps from another Mac user here who has worked around the problem will give you some other advice.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 370
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 11:18 AM

Doug,

I assume you are using WIFI, this seems to be the commincation method I see the most problems using Yosemite but not all. Some are having issues with wired connectivity as well. At any rate if you are using WIFI can you connect to your router with a cable and give that a try. I am on Yosemite (iMac) with a wired connection and I have not had any download problems.

And yes it should download first, then start indexing.

One last thing 10.10.1 has been seeded to developers so it should not be too much longer it will be available for public use. Take a look at this page

http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/03/os-x-10-10-1-update-seed-1-released-to-developers/

Posts 18
Gavin Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 9:45 AM

Hi All,

I am having this same problem using Yosemite with a wired connection. I am also using the 10.10.1 Public Beta release, but it makes no difference. I have literally been trying for days to download the Logos updates, but they are downloading at an incredibly slow rate. Not sure how to resolve this!

Gavin

Posts 30070
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 11:52 AM

Gavin Anthony:

I am having this same problem using Yosemite with a wired connection. I am also using the 10.10.1 Public Beta release, but it makes no difference. I have literally been trying for days to download the Logos updates, but they are downloading at an incredibly slow rate. Not sure how to resolve this!

There are some threads with MANY suggestions, but I have one for you to try. 

1. Keep your WIFI & Blutooth off and use ethernet
  2. Make sure "automatic downloads" is turned off in logos settings.
  3. restart your computer
  4. open up "activity monitor" in OS X utilities, and click on the "network" tab
  5. wait a minute to see if Logos starts indexing.
  6. once the indexer icon disappears, start up logos
  7. when the "there is a download" bar appears, click on it to start the download.
  8. when the indexer/download icon appears above, press command-Q to quit logos (the download will continue)
  9. keep an eye on the logos download/indexer in the "activity monitor." If you see the download stall for several minutes, kill it and go back to step 3

This method has worked three times for me... but I have also done many of the other "fixes," so I am unsure if this was a fluke, a combination of all the things I have tried, or a genuine fix.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3714
Rangers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 12:03 PM

Bama wins yesterday! So did Bubba. It was a Bama Bubba duo.

alabama24:

Gavin Anthony:

There are some threads with MANY suggestions, but I have one for you to try. 

1. Keep your WIFI & Blutooth off and use ethernet
  2. Make sure "automatic downloads" is turned off in logos settings.
  3. restart your computer
  4. open up "activity monitor" in OS X utilities, and click on the "network" tab
  5. wait a minute to see if Logos starts indexing.
  6. once the indexer icon disappears, start up logos
  7. when the "there is a download" bar appears, click on it to start the download.
  8. when the indexer/download icon appears above, press command-Q to quit logos (the download will continue)
  9. keep an eye on the logos download/indexer in the "activity monitor." If you see the download stall for several minutes, kill it and go back to step 3

This method has worked three times for me... but I have also done many of the other "fixes," so I am unsure if this was a fluke, a combination of all the things I have tried, or a genuine fix.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS