Is there a replacement for Smart Tags in Logos 6?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 92
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 6 2014 12:42 PM

Dear Fellow Logossians (or is now Faithlifians?)

I am one of "those" Logos 4 users that never upgraded to 5, but, have recently been considering upgrading to 6.  However, honestly, there are still things that I miss from Logos (Libronix) 3 (like free and unfettered access to PBB books and (legally) sharing them), so, I'm a little nervous about upgrading to Logos 6 and potentially losing more things that I use every day (like SmartTags) in favour of lots of functionality that I would not use a whole lot anyway.  I have watched the videos and there are some things that look helpful, but, I'm really not yet convinced that upgrading to 6 is worth the steep expense and time to learn and customize as required.

Recently, there was a thread about losing SmartTags in Logos 6 which was resolved after a workaround with a batch file.  But, in the process, someone mentioned that Logos no longer supports SmartTags.  Since I use SmartTags every single day, it would be a barrier to me to upgrading if the new version does not really support it (beyond the workaround) or have a vision to replace it.  For those of you who aren't familiar with SmartTags, the feature is simple and extremely helpful - I type a Bible reference in MS Word and with the help of a right-click context menu, I get a menu of choices that allows me to replace the reference with the actual text of the verses  I typed in my preferred version or to open Logos directly to the passage in question.  So very handy and very helpful.  I'm thankful for this feature that Logos has previously supported.

Questions:

1. Is there an alternative to SmartTags in Logos 6 or some vision of including an "InstaVerse-like" app or "Smart-Tags-like" feature for future versions?  

2. For those of you who don't use SmartTags, are you using something else to copy Bible verses into your  MS Office documents?  If so, what?  Is it just copy and paste or is there something else that's easier or better?

Thanks in advance!

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 1:11 PM

I am using smart tags in Logos6 and I am running Word 2013. After following the suggestions below, smart tags are working well.

Smart Tags and 64-bit Logos

Logos 6 (and Logos 5.3) is 64-bit and it installs the Smart Tag for 32-bit Office. Problems can arise from earlier 32-bit installations so start by running these commands in a Command Prompt:

1. “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos5\System\Logos.exe” /register
  2. regsvr32 “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos5\System\L4SmrtTg.dll” (see above for 64-bit Office)

see: https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags#Smart_Tags_and_64-bit_Logos

or see this thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/65493.aspx

Posts 3676
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 5:09 PM

Christopher Powell:

Recently, there was a thread about losing SmartTags in Logos 6

The real issue is that Microsoft is dropping support for this kind of add-in. Crying

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 8132
LogosEmployee

Christopher Powell:
Logos no longer supports SmartTags

Smart Tags for Office have always been unsupported ("The Logos Smart Tag is an unsupported "power toy" addin for Microsoft Office 2002 and later" -- https://www.logos.com/articleviewer/530).

This hasn't changed; there just currently happens to be a bug in the installer that doesn't install the COM registration keys necessary for Smart Tags to work. We do plan to fix this, but this hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, there are instructions on the wiki and forum you can follow to repair the registry and get Smart Tags working again.

The biggest concern you should have with Smart Tags is that Microsoft deprecated them in Word 2010 and it's extremely likely that future versions of Office won't support them. (I'm pretty sure Office 365 doesn't, already.)

Posts 25282
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 6 2014 11:15 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
it's extremely likely that future versions of Office won't support them. (I'm pretty sure Office 365 doesn't, already.)

As it runs Word 2013 for me then Smart Tags are OK.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 12:44 AM

This hasn't changed; there just currently happens to be a bug in the installer that doesn't install the COM registration keys necessary for Smart Tags to work. We do plan to fix this, but this hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, there are instructions on the wiki and forum you can follow to repair the registry and get Smart Tags working again.

On a related topic, can we get API support for pasting Bible verses from:

- a specific version

- a specific Bible datatype set

- using a specific Copy Verses style

Currently the API only supports pasting Bible text from your highest ranked Bible, using you latest Copy Verses style.

If Smart Tags are on the way out, this could be a very easy way for us to create much more powerful tools that do the same type of thing. And, even if Smart Tags weren't on the way out, this type of functionality could be extremely useful. For an example of how it could be useful (and much more powerful than SmartTags), cf. https://community.logos.com/forums/p/83208/631566.aspx#631566

I have never even looked at the Biblica.com API, but I suppose if it is capable of this functionality already it could also be useful. Is the Biblia.com API already be capable of doing this, and if so, can it be interfaced with VBA? 

Posts 92
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 7:59 AM

Thanks all, but there's one question that is unresolved for me - if you're not using SmartTags or if Logos doesn't (or never) supported them, what is the suggested alternative?  Are people just copying and pasting Bible verses between Logos and Word?  It seems like a missed opportunity/something we could do better.  Any suggestions? 

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 8:07 AM

Christopher Powell:
 Are people just copying and pasting Bible verses between Logos and Word?  It seems like a missed opportunity/something we could do better.  Any suggestions? 

I tend to use the "Copy Bible Verses" tool - https://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses - are you familiar with this?

Posts 3107
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 9:20 AM

Graham Criddle:

Christopher Powell:
 Are people just copying and pasting Bible verses between Logos and Word?  It seems like a missed opportunity/something we could do better.  Any suggestions? 

I tend to use the "Copy Bible Verses" tool - https://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses - are you familiar with this?

I agree with Graham, the copy Bible Verses tool is quite useful and powerful.  I never really found smart tags to be consistent.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 10
Kevin Kay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 9:53 AM

I tried the workaround, and I've not been able to get it to work for me.  I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.  I hope FaithLife will fix this soon.

Posts 25282
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:37 PM

But have you followed the links in that post and tried the Registry fixes? You have to do this yourself. What was the difficulty?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 1:54 PM

Dave Hooton:
But have you followed the links in that post and tried the Registry fixes?

Dave, I believe registry fix #1 in the wiki is incorrect. If you have a working Smart Tags, try backing up that registry key and then deleting it as documented. Smart Tags will now fail. It removes the registration for LogosCom.exe which can be restored by Repairing "Logos Bible Software". Please confirm.

I've updated the batch file to perform all of the needed fixes in the original thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/93419/655891.aspx#655891 

Posts 8132
LogosEmployee

Randy W. Sims:
Dave, I believe registry fix #1 in the wiki is incorrect.

It is. I've fixed it. (If your instructions have "System" in the path to Logos.exe, they're wrong.)

Posts 2066
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 7:14 PM

Randy W. Sims:

It is. I've fixed it. (If your instructions have "System" in the path to Logos.exe, they're wrong.)

Hmm, I missed that. Embarrassed  But it's been corrected.

Actually, what I was referring to is in the next section on the wiki:

1. Does “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{319A0316-DF84-4B3C-8117-349B7E98E613}” exist? If so, delete it.

Deleting that key breaks Smart Tags.

Nvrmind. I think I was wrong. After registering the correct Logos.exe, deleting that key no longer breaks it.

Posts 25282
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 3:34 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Thanks, Bradley

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2
Taj Michael Eaton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 8:29 AM

This is old but I am curious as to what you might have figured out.

I just "upgraded" to the logos 6 core engine and lost my usage of smartTags which I used daily. I feel a bit lost. I am not real tech savvy and am not sure what to do. Customer support suggested I go back to logos 4 but the reason I "upgraded" was because 4 would not synchronize and none of my latest book purchase were in my library.

Help?

Taj Eaton

Posts 25282
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 12:22 PM

Taj Michael Eaton:
I just "upgraded" to the logos 6 core engine and lost my usage of smartTags which I used daily. I feel a bit lost. I am not real tech savvy and am not sure what to do.

I'm afraid that any fix for Smart Tags is "technical", especially coming from Logos 4 which is 32-bit as you have to go through all the instructions in https://wiki.logos.com/Smart_Tags#Smart_Tags_and_64-bit_Logos to get it working. If you know someone who is tech savvy show them these insructions.

The alternative is to wait for Faithlife to provide a fix to a PowerShell script (the current version does not work) as that performs all the steps in the wiki, so look for an announcement in this forum (I don't know the time frame). This still involves some technical steps.

But please confirm that you have a 64-bit operating system (Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 on a notebook or desktop, rather than a tablet) and your version of Office (2007, 2010, etc).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2
Jacques Gauvin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 6:45 PM

I upgraded to Logos 6 and lost my smart tag in Word 2002. However I also have QuickVerse 2005 loaded and smart tag works with it. QuickVerse 2005 cost me $150.

Posts 3
Ivan Liew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 17 2017 2:48 AM

Thanks to the links on this page, I got Smart Tags working as I was looking for the functionality of getting bible verses directly in Word more efficiently than pressing Ctrl-Alt-B and using the Logos Copy Bible Verses window.

I have succesfully set up Smart Tags on Windows 10 with Logos 7 and Office 2013 64-bit. I needed to:

1. Register Smart Tags for 64-bit Word using instructions here, and then
  2. Set it up in Word 2013 using instructions here.

When I first tried to do step 2 I didn't see any option for Logos in Word, but once I did step 1 to register the smart tags properly it was fixed. Works a treat now!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS