Some interesting performance info.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:43 AM

I recently updated my parents nelson eBible to V4  on their five year old computer.  V4 was unusable.  There was approximately a 15 second delay between any commands and the programs response (switching tabs, etc.).  Also the display was horrible - the icons were all messed up, etc.

I knew the system would be slow - but it benchmarks out to be about the same as a netbook so I thought I would give it a try.

Just before I uninstalled v4, I threw in a ATI Radeon 9200se video card I had laying around (64 meg onboard).

All of a sudden the program worked perfectly.  Actually too perfect.  V4 was more responsive on this 5 year old computer than my main two systems (one being 3 years old, and the other 3 months old).

Just as an example.  The information panel would fully populate within a second.  On my newer faster systems this takes 5  - 10 seconds.

Now I know that I have significantly more resources in mine - but things like the information window are only searching my prioritized items so the amount of effort by the program should be about the same.

Also on the 5 year old computer (that was bottom of the line back then!) the tabs switch instantly with no lag at all.  If I was only using V4 and comparing the computers, I would have thought that this outdated rig was a rocket ship.

Also, on my laptop (an aspire 1410) which has 64meg dedicated video card with over a gig of shared memory, according to my video card software V4 only ever uses 7 - 12 megs of memory.  

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:53 AM

Greg Gray:

Just before I uninstalled v4, I threw in a ATI Radeon 9200se video card I had laying around (64 meg onboard).

All of a sudden the program worked perfectly.  Actually too perfect.  V4 was more responsive on this 5 year old computer than my main two systems (one being 3 years old, and the other 3 months old).

Amazing isn't it? I sure wish I knew what makes some computers run L4 so well, and others, newer and with seemingly better spec's work so poorly. We've been pondering this on this since the pre-release beta days.

Just for our information, this 5 y/o system was using XP SP3? Or did you upgrade them to Vista or Win7?

(BTW, have you looked at the WIKI (see link below) on speeding up your system? You might find that one tip that makes the difference for you.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:13 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Amazing isn't it? I sure wish I knew what makes some computers run L4 so well, and others, newer and with seemingly better spec's work so poorly. We've been pondering this on this since the pre-release beta days.

Just for our information, this 5 y/o system was using XP SP3? Or did you upgrade them to Vista or Win7?

(BTW, have you looked at the WIKI (see link below) on speeding up your system? You might find that one tip that makes the difference for you.)

The older computer is running xp sp3.

As for my systems - I am running windows 7 on both of them.

I have tried all the suggestions in the Wiki (and then some).  The AS 410 that I use the most has 4 gigs of memory and a pretty fast ssd (200+ MB per second).  

I was actually becoming content (something I should be all the time:-) with V4's performance, until this experience.  I would love to have instant response from V4.  Hopefully at some point speeding things up will become a priority once the promised features are in place.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:22 AM

Greg Gray:
Hopefully at some point speeding things up will become a priority once the promised features are in place.

I agree.

But doesn't your experience suggest an interface issue, rather than a program (L4) issue? Win7 has dozens of services running, an elaborate video intensive interface, etc. If turning off TabletPC services gives a performance boost, what else might? Also, since Win7 is new, we can probably expect video drivers to be updated as more performance issues are discovered by video chip manufacturers. And what else could there be in Windows that's slowing things down for L4?

Anyway, I'm not a programmer, but I do get intensely curious about things like this.

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 9:48 PM

I dont think the windows interfacing is the problem the software itself hangs on just the simplest of routines and scrolling down through your bible is awful. Don't know to what purpose is all the bells and whistles worth if the application doesn't work properly all the resources become useless in my opinion especially since I dumped a lot of cash into a gold version. My only hope is that logos comes out with a massive service pack to at the least come as close to the performance they advertize on their videos. The only exceptable speed I got from logos was creating a view creating collections trim down without using the left panes information and text comparisons it still hangs when creating notes and still slow with scrolling speed when reading your bible but far better than default views. But not good overall the product apparently isn't ready for prime time.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 11:28 PM

Richard Koons:

I dont think the windows interfacing is the problem the software itself hangs on just the simplest of routines and scrolling down through your bible is awful. Don't know to what purpose is all the bells and whistles worth if the application doesn't work properly all the resources become useless in my opinion especially since I dumped a lot of cash into a gold version. My only hope is that logos comes out with a massive service pack to at the least come as close to the performance they advertize on their videos. The only exceptable speed I got from logos was creating a view creating collections trim down without using the left panes information and text comparisons it still hangs when creating notes and still slow with scrolling speed when reading your bible but far better than default views. But not good overall the product apparently isn't ready for prime time.

Performance experience varies widely. L4 runs very well on my system, including scrolling my Bibles and creating notes. Early on I had some lag sometimes, but not any more. So things are getting better. There's some anecdotal evidence that there are issues with AMD (vs Intel), integrated (vs dedicated) video RAM, ATI (vs nVidia) video cards,  and maybe one or two other things I'm not thinking about at the moment. But anecdotal evidence isn't enough to say what's really going on.

One of the odd things though, is that while hardware is probably one factor, it doesn't seem to be the only one. There's something else going on for some people -- apparently a minority, but for those who have the issues, they can make L4 unusable. I don't believe Logos is taking that experience lightly. But I'm not sure the performance variations are fully understood yet.

(I assume by this time you've also tried some of the methods in the Wiki for speeding up your system. Some see dramatic increases in performance, others don't see any.)

In the meantime, the money you put down for L4 isn't lost. Nearly all those resources are available in L3, or will be shortly. Somewhere there's a script to download those files for L3, if you haven't seen it yet, post back and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 9:46 AM

I have tried everything on the wiki with no appreciable difference in performance. I cannot upgrade my hardware this year as I have a i year old laptop. I upgraded from Scholars gold to platinum which used up my descretionary budget for software for the year, and trying to update LDLS 3 hangs at the same point repeatedly so I gave up. I went back to using LDLS exclusively for sermon preparation and study. My note files that I use extensively are on LDLS 3.

Enough whining I guess.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS