Lag when Filtering Library on Windows

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 275
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 7 2014 3:10 PM

On 6.0a beta 1 there is a noticeable lag when typing a filter in the Library window on my windows 7 machine and not on the iMac with Yosemite. I can type several characters and it takes a second or two for them to appear in the dialog. There is nothing else running on this windows 7 machine. I did not have this with 6.0SR3.

Anybody else experience this?

Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 4:32 PM

No!

How many resources? What filter?

Does Task Manager show Logos using high amounts of CPU?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 275
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 4:53 PM

1723 resources, task manager shows low less than 10% CPU utilization, several filters type:, author: etc.

Posts 24847
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 5:53 PM

CPU is normal. And there is no yellow bar in Library stating that the Catalog is being updated?

I can only suggest to restart the computer.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 7 2014 6:27 PM

I have noticed a huge drag in resorting my Library since the initial L6 beta testing. It seems to take forever. My Library is a little bigger than in L5 but that isn't it. I do think the way Logos is doing this in L6 is the cause.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 275
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:15 AM

Dave Hooton:

CPU is normal. And there is no yellow bar in Library stating that the Catalog is being updated?

I can only suggest to restart the computer.

I had thought of that as well, and I restarted the computer prior to the initial post. I wonder if the update to Chromium 37-equivalent version of CEF for some environments has anything to do with this.

Posts 275
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:24 AM

I also see lags with just scrolling both the document window and the Library window

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 2:07 PM

Bob Soule:
Anybody else experience this?

Thank you for reporting this issue Smile We have an active case for this in Development and will update you once it is fixed. 

Posts 275
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 3:01 PM

I still see a lag in 6.0a RC1 in windows. Has work been done on this for RC1? I did not see it in the release notes.

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 3:18 PM

Bob Soule:
I still see a lag in 6.0a RC1 in windows. Has work been done on this for RC1? I did not see it in the release notes.

This is still an active case for this in Development. We will update this forum post and make a note in the release notes once it is fixed. Thank you, it should be fixed soon! Smile

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 18 2014 3:21 PM

What Bob just said. So, it doesn't seem to get resolved in 6.0a? I think I'm buying a desktop computer with AMD Phenom X6 pro hexa core CPU. (It might be this CPU: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X6+1035T&id=388 from Q2 2010.) Pro home built with the cables inside. I'm installing my unused (bought used) S-ATA III SSD in it (120 GB Kingston v300). I don't know if it will have 8 GB or 12 GB RAM - depends on if the different brand RAM modules mix I would suppose they do and then it's 12 GB. Cost $419 used (seems expensive to You in the U.S. because of the currency exchange rate). Can someone tell whether You think the additional cores will solve the lag?

EDIT: Angela just posted at the same time as I posted:

Angela Murashov:
it should be fixed soon! Smile

EDIT2: there may be other benefits such as lasting longer so I'll just try to borrow a little bit more money from mum and count my money to see if I can afford the "$419" desktop.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 54
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 2:04 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but, no, I don't think that the extra cores would solve the lag problem. When I used advanced built-in to the OS, there was a bunch of threads running (I think that one process may have had like 50 threads running). And I think that there were three distinct processes running.

My opinion is that scrolling and paging is pretty fundamental and is generally handled in a high priority thread. If that fails on a generally usable machine, there is a pretty serious problem most likely with the software itself. Sadly, finding those fundamental problems usually requires luck, lots of work, or someone so super smart programmer wizard.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS